Used 2001 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Leaks more than the Gulf
By oilslick

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was a problem child the moment we got it. Transmission computer failed, then the trans blew, engine mounts continually fail, side marker lights fell out several times. dipstick is constantly shot out, spraying oil everywhere, no solution from repair shop. Eats oil and gas like it's going out of style. semi-auto shifter broke early, expensive to fix. It is safe though, spends more time in the shop than on the road!

cassette adapters work with its stereo, bucket seats are nice, handles decently

reliability, engineering, dipstick design

volvo 2001
By alex

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought a Volvo when my wife told me she was pregnant for a 3 rd time, 3 kids I tough Volvo would deliver. Transmission problem than the heater radiator broke got it change now it stinks like hell when I put the heat on and it leaks oil too bad because it is comfortable and nice but I don't know if I'm going to keep it now I have a message that says check brake lights I look at them and they don't work so I change the bulbs and still don't work what should I do?

reliability

Looks great on paper
By Eric

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

... not so great to actually own. We've had this car close to two full years now, and although I did some homework going into it, I had no idea just how annoying this vehicle is with regards to repairs. I like working on cars, but it seemed like every weekend I was out in the garage replacing a bulb, fixing a leak, trouble shooting cryptic error messages. Ugh. Final straw was finding out the transmission is going to need replacing, and the engine can't maintain oil pressure. Least reliable car I've ever owned. I intentionally bought the Volvo to be safe and something our family could rely on, instead it's a crap shoot every time you get in the car.

Heated seats, dual climate control, AWD and traction control.

RELIABILITY. This is not a cheap car but it sure feels like it. If nothing else after this car unless you're independently wealthy you won't be able to afford another one. MONEY PIT.

Great car until you hit 100K
By johng

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is my third Volvo. I loved it for the first 100K miles or so. After that, the thing starts to get really expensive to own. It seems like every electrical, fuel injection, and exhaust system has gone bad. New alternator, catalytic converter, several sensors, computer. Not the reliability of the first two cars. BTW, Bosch doesn't make anything that costs less than 200 dollars. If you plan to keep this car or buy a high mileage Volvo, make sure you have the money in the bank to fix it! Also, the leather they used in this thing looks like crap after about 75K of normal use.

Styling. Fuel economy, good road manners.

Better leather quality. Less costly to repair. Greater reliability.

Work on it yourself!!!
By Backyard Swede Mech

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a good car that gets a bad rap. The tranny has a $19 fix from IPD to fix the hard into and out of 3rd shifts, and missing 3rd all together. The ETM should be replaced with one from xemodex in Canada. They have a mod that turns them into a lifetime unit. Although it is $550. Those two things will cover 90% of the complaints.

All of them.