2001 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Were Do I Start?
By art on 08/04/09 16:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I am 59 years old and I have owned about 8-10 volvos during my life. Most recently I purchased a used off of a lease v-70 T-5 with 47000 miles on it. It had a full service till 100K. If it did not have that I would have gone broke. Here is a list. 2 radiators, one ac unit, one transmission, numerous electrical problems, 2 replaced sunroofs. Most recently I have to stuff rags and paper into the sunroof area to keep the sunroof from rattling. Numerous rattles in the car, rough ride and the list goes on. My previous car was an acura which give up the ghost at 225,000 miles. This volvo is a piece of junk. I would stay away like a bad cold. Never again. Then I found out that most of the

European Disappointment
By sailon on 08/04/09 08:52 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Expected Volvo lifetime, got Ford reliability. Well known transmission problem as listed on web, tailgate lift springs both shot, replaced top torque motormount after I could see daylight thru it, all rubber bushings in the suspension replaced after 85000 miles. Might be sophisticated European engineering, but LOUSY execution and parts quality. I will probably take the seats out and use them to watch TV in in my living room, and scrap the car. STAY away from this pile of junk.

WHAT A LEMON!
By v70owner on 07/28/09 00:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car in Sept of 2005 with 50K miles on it. We have had nothing but problems. Full transmission replacement in 08' under warranty, locks failed, seatbelts in back all failed had to be replaced, throttle control module, battery issues. You name it, we've had it with this one. As soon as we're able, we are getting rid of this car!

Transmission Troubles
By Julie on 05/27/09 08:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I love the car but am very disappointed that after only 85k we are getting rid of it quickly due to alleged transmission problems and fuel pump problems. This car has been babied - all services, all maintenance, all done at the dealership. We just cannot justify a new transmission at a cost of over $4k. I really thought the volvo brand would take me much farther than 100k miles. I hate that we are in such a disposable society that we sacrifice quality for profitability. Volvo will not get any more of my money.

DO NOT Buy a used 2001 XC
By The Sluffy on 05/08/09 10:09 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I loved the design of these Cross Country wagons, very handsome, and the interior fit and finish is really beautiful in this car, but otherwise this think is an abosule MESS. Stay away at all costs. I have owned two other Volvos in the past, but this piece of junk has really soured me on Volvo. Its too bad...but I think the 2000 and 2001/2002 are really bad reliability wise. Ive had to replace the transmission, there is always something going wrong with the car, and its so crazy expensive to get it fixed, at least $500 to $1000 each time it goes to the shop. Im dumping this piece of junk before it eats my lunch.

8.5 years of the same vehicle
By Pete on 02/21/09 17:07 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned this car since purchased new in August of 2000. I love driving the car, handling is crisp. I have got over 30 mpg on several occasions. It is so comfortable to drive and ride in, the seats are perfect for almost every body type. I had the same transmission problem that people mention on this website.

never again!
By nomorevolvos on 01/20/09 21:15 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I thought Volvos were better cars. You know, Sweden has harsh weather and terrain, so the vehicles produced there should be appropriately durable. maybe they have that public health care thing for cars also. yes, add me to the list of casualties. I bought my V70 XC last year and have had nothing but problems. Transmission was jerky so I took it to the dealer, only to have it reflashed with no improvement. While there, they discovered bad trans and engine mounts, leaking angle drive and several broken suspension components. This is in addition to the $2000 scheduled maintenance, adding up to almost what I paid for this vehicle. The service and repair history I requested was 34 pages!

Versatile Family Wagon
By XC Family on 11/06/08 12:45 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

If you want to drive a car/wagon without feeling tons of weight and moving a hefty-size SUV, this is the crossover that you need. I've definitely found myself in love with this XC wagon, not just me but my entire family. It's such a versatile everyday car. Also come in handy moving stuff and going for long trips. Plus the Volvo's legendary safety features loaded in this car. The only thing I would do differently is to buy this car earlier. Gas mileage is quite good in its class, I get around 22 to 24 for mostly sub-urban city driving.

Trannie is a mess!
By MaPage on 10/21/08 20:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I too have had transmission issues. I never thought it was right from the beginning. Bought it used off lease with 65K. Motor mount issues, bad radio, cruise control problems, at 130,00 the transmisson is a mess, two motor mounts shot and with a 30K tune up and new tires needed I'm folding! This is my 5th and last Volvo. Ford really screwed these cars up! I'm buying a Saab. My son's is 13 yrs old and handles better than my Volvo. Too bad I was a huge fan and loved my old cars. This one too but can't afford it!

I'm happy, it's not that bad!
By Happy on 10/17/08 18:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Wow! After reading the poor reviews of the 2001 XC 70, I had to let everyone know about my good experience. I've owned Volvos and my parents have owned Volvos for many decades. I purchased this car for the turbo and carrying capacity. I've been pleased. I bought it at 75,000 mi and now it's at 100K. I've kept up with the maintenance, which has been a bit more expensive than my sedans, but I have not experienced the transmission issues nor electronic issues that are posted on this site. Issues have been: alternator, 1 software update, transmission flush, cam seal leak, and common maintenance. There will always be the bad stories that are reported first. I'm happy with my car.