2001 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
worst car ever !!!
By Los Cabos on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Replace transmission 2 times going to third. It's worst car ever !! Avoid Volvo brand!

V70 T5- Not a Bad Car
By TEF on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought new in 2001 through Volvo's Diplomat Sales as special order with cloth interior (vice leather) and 5- Speed MANUAL transmission. Car has been very reliable and aside from usual wear items such as pads and rotors, have not spent more than $1K over last 10 years for repairs that included replacement of a pollution device plus new timing and serpentine belts. Perhaps having the manual transmission that's made the difference, but has been dependable and decent on gas. Would not buy another Volvo because Ford pretty much destroyed the company. Current Volvos are just too expensive for what one gets. Current models offer old technology.

Better Than Average
By TEF on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Special ordered thru Diplomat Sales program with 5-Spd MANUAL transmission and cloth interior. Over the last 10 years, I've replaced only brake pads/rotors, timing belt and one emission component. Obviously having a manual transmission, spared me the universal problems associated with auto transmissions, but the car has been very dependable by any measure. Other than brakes and rotors that I replaced myself, total repairs by dealers and/or privite shops since 2001 total less than $1,000.

Most expensive car I have ever owned
By Barney on 08/26/10 10:16 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Front end is weak. Constantly requires repair and replacement of tie- rod-ends, ball joints, constant velocity boots, etc. You name it, it's been replaced, multiple times. Power window motors, go through them like candy. Transmission was replaced with 1 mile left in warranty. Transmission is going again but it lasted 150,000 miles. Rattles, boy does it ever. But, it hasn't rusted out and the engine is still strong after 188,000 miles. Again, I cannot tell you how much this thing has cost to maintain but it's got to be close to the purchase price. Most comfortable seats of any vehicle I have owned.

Leaks more than the Gulf
By oilslick on 07/08/10 21:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was a problem child the moment we got it. Transmission computer failed, then the trans blew, engine mounts continually fail, side marker lights fell out several times. dipstick is constantly shot out, spraying oil everywhere, no solution from repair shop. Eats oil and gas like it's going out of style. semi-auto shifter broke early, expensive to fix. It is safe though, spends more time in the shop than on the road!

volvo 2001
By alex on 07/04/10 03:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought a Volvo when my wife told me she was pregnant for a 3 rd time, 3 kids I tough Volvo would deliver. Transmission problem than the heater radiator broke got it change now it stinks like hell when I put the heat on and it leaks oil too bad because it is comfortable and nice but I don't know if I'm going to keep it now I have a message that says check brake lights I look at them and they don't work so I change the bulbs and still don't work what should I do?

Looks great on paper
By Eric on 06/29/10 11:36 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

... not so great to actually own. We've had this car close to two full years now, and although I did some homework going into it, I had no idea just how annoying this vehicle is with regards to repairs. I like working on cars, but it seemed like every weekend I was out in the garage replacing a bulb, fixing a leak, trouble shooting cryptic error messages. Ugh. Final straw was finding out the transmission is going to need replacing, and the engine can't maintain oil pressure. Least reliable car I've ever owned. I intentionally bought the Volvo to be safe and something our family could rely on, instead it's a crap shoot every time you get in the car.

Great car until you hit 100K
By johng on 05/15/10 04:36 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is my third Volvo. I loved it for the first 100K miles or so. After that, the thing starts to get really expensive to own. It seems like every electrical, fuel injection, and exhaust system has gone bad. New alternator, catalytic converter, several sensors, computer. Not the reliability of the first two cars. BTW, Bosch doesn't make anything that costs less than 200 dollars. If you plan to keep this car or buy a high mileage Volvo, make sure you have the money in the bank to fix it! Also, the leather they used in this thing looks like crap after about 75K of normal use.

Work on it yourself!!!
By Backyard Swede Mech on 03/02/10 22:11 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a good car that gets a bad rap. The tranny has a $19 fix from IPD to fix the hard into and out of 3rd shifts, and missing 3rd all together. The ETM should be replaced with one from xemodex in Canada. They have a mod that turns them into a lifetime unit. Although it is $550. Those two things will cover 90% of the complaints.

Excellent Car!!! Safety First!
By Volvo V70 -Excellent on 01/30/10 16:28 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I am surprised at reading some negative reviews. My Volvo has been great without any of the problems mentioned. Its great on gas mileage, has a reliable engine and transmission and most importantly it is safe for my kids. We have made long trips and our Volvo has been a delight. Volvo forever!