Used 2001 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Great Choice for the family
By humantorch

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I had heard a lot about Volvos but never driven one. We saw this V7-T5 today in the lot and knew that second..this is the car we need. We test drove ...it was great...the leather, gps, sunroof...the works. The car feels quality..inside/out..and when we got the Carfax report...and it says..the car was imported directly from Sweden..that sold us... Great buy...we traded my 2001 Intrepid...with 140k miles..

Favorite Features

GPS, Quality and that its a Volvo

Suggested Improvements

The front console could be better but we got it used so cant complain..

Best used car Ive owned!
By Wagon of Wagons!

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned 2 other Volvo wagons prior to this one. A 94' 850 T-5, 99' XC and my current 01' V70 T-5. I live in Anchorage, Alaska and decided on the 2 wheel drive model due to my previous XC was a nightmare with repairs. Drive handling with my 2001 V70 during winter has been pleasant on slippery roads with the normal all weather tires. The winter tires rubbed against the wheel wells while turning and elected to ditch them. The lower ground clearance helps with stability with little body roll in turns I've noticed. Transmission takes a little getting use to for effective use. I've found when accelerating from a stop it was best to ease on the gas which allowed gears to catch up.

Favorite Features

Reliablity has been great so far. I had 53k miles when I purchased this vehicle. Just had a 60k service. Previous owner didnt do a 50k service so elected to find a good euro auto shop vs. going to dealer and getting robbed. Love rear seats with 2 angle settings. Mechanical Coffee hoder!!!

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice to see a larger cabin. I still enjoyed the more boxy 850 wagon v.s this rounded edgy 2001 V70. Seems aero dynamics is taking over. Bring back the box! Better immitation wood on the interior door panel would be nice or maybe wood accents around radio or gear shift?

Sorry Volvo
By rkientz

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Cruise control works randomly half the time. Message center randomly shows that engine needs service. Fuel door fell off the car three times. Message center has shown exterior lights out but none found. replaced the front end suspension at 55,000 miles. (wife's car). Engine roar at idle very annoying.

Favorite Features

GPS guidance

Suggested Improvements

Get Ford Motor Co out of the ownership chain.

Expensive, with dangerous design flaws
By Will Jennings

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

At 5 years and 50,000 miles, our 2001 XC70 needed: a new ignition-key tumbler ($600), a new set of rear shocks ($750), which had destroyed a 6 month old set of tires and required their replacement ($650). Lastly, its solenoid transmission design failed while we were on the highway, cutting all power in a critical, dangerous situation. Solution? $3,400 for a new transmission. Together with some minor glitch fixes also not covered by warranty, our 'new car' has cost an avg of $1,250 per year in repairs alone. Proving, once again, you never actually own a Volvo...you just keep paying rent to your mechanic, local towers, and Volvo dealer service. Volvo Customer Care = total fraud.

Favorite Features

That the car will have maintained its looks and Volvo can still peddle its hyped reputation long enough for us to unload this expensive, dangerous piece of crap so that we can buy a truly safe & reliable care, you know, like a Subaru or a Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

Come clean on design flaws that put drivers and passengers at risk...transmissions that suddenly quit at 50K miles w/o any warning light or code? A car that cost close to 40K should not immediately cost $1,250 per year to repair. Quit theiving the public.

2nd Upate on V70T5
By Hieatt

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

It has been 2 years since my last update. Purchased my T5 out of my lease 2 years ago - car is now 5 years old with 62K miles. Thank god I purchased the VIP warranty. Took it in for the $700 60K service (!) and mentioned a knocking sound from the suspension and also a bad oil leak. They found knocking was result of broken sway bar connectors and a broken engine mount (over $700 in repairs), and the oil leak was from the engine block itself, and may require replacement of the whole engine!!! They have had car for over a week. This was after replacing a seal on the turbo return ($150 repair) on the previous service. VIP warranty good for 2 more years or 100K miles - will sell before then.

Favorite Features

Seats, motor, styling - everything except reliability!

Suggested Improvements

Replaced crappy Pirelli P6 tires with Michelin Pilot A/S - what a difference! No bulges or leaks, reasonable wear, quiet and excellent performance.