2001 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Buyer Beware!
By BravoPapa on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

We've had constant trouble with our V70 T5, including electrical problems, brake problems, transmission software issues, speakers, rattling glovebox, malfunctioning cup holder, and we've had to replace 10 tires on the car. At 15 - 18 average MPG, the 247 HP of this car comes at a pretty steep price. The depreciation on the car in terms of dollars per month or year is VERY HIGH too. Our family has been delighted with Volvo products, (740s, 240s before that) until now. As of this writing, my advise would be to consider an alternative car/ brand.

surprising performance for a 'wagon'
By spike in chicago on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

the v70 2.4T is to soccer moms what patty lupone is to WB network programming: howlingly inappropriate. this is a bonafide sports sedan with extra greenhouse space where a trunk would be. The turbocharged inline 5 that Volvo's been tweaking for years has reached its apex starting with the 2001 model year, and it is one of the smoothest, lag-free, and willing powerplants of its type I've driven. Volvo also chose to place the V70 on solid footing in the corners, so handling is crisp and without excessive body roll or sag, and the ride is just dynamite, even on the potholed streets of Chicago.

A remarkable car!
By Tom in Nor Cal on 10/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Having my XC for almost 18mos now, it has been remarkably reliable and (almost) trouble free. The dealership (Volvo of Pleasanton, CA) has a fantastic sales staff and a horrible service department. I have had to actually argue with the Service Manager on 2 different occasions. I would recommend buying your Volvo in Pleasanton but having it serviced elsewhere. A previous review complained of front suspension problems, I experienced some of the same. However, it was repaired and has been fine since. The traction abilities of this car are remarkable! It's almost as though it's on rails. My only complaint is it's mediocre acceleration.

think twice
By MARIE on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

IN THE FIRST MONTH I OWNED MY CAR IT FELL APART THE ELECTRICAL CRASHED THE BATTERY REPLACED AND GAS EJECTED BACK AT YOU!(SO MUCH FOR SAFETY) I NOW HAVE HAD MY LEMON FOR A YEAR WE WENT FOR A SIX MONTH PERIOD WITHOUT A PROBLEM UNTIL I ONCE AGAIN TRIED PUTTING GAS INTO IT AND WAS COVERED WITH IT DOWN MY LEG WHEN IT WAS BEING REPAIRED I WAS TOLD THIS WAS DUE TO COBWEBS!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND THIS HAS OCCURED IN MORE THEN ONE OF THE VOLVO MAKES!!!! YES THE VOLVO IS SAFE IN A CAR ACCIDENT BUT THE OTHER PROBLEMS ARE NOT WORTH IT

Less Than Impressed
By JJR on 07/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Replaced a wonderful and trustworthy '91 745T Wagon, believing that Volvo wouldn't let me down, was I wrong. Volvo seems to have lost their touch with build quality. Front end noises (clunking) began at 5K, replaced ball joints, bushings, and control arms. Thermostat replaced at 10K, geartronic transmission has been problematic requiring various software patches, 8 light bulb replacements (including the rear license plate bulbs!), replaced two cargo covers that have shreaded under nominal use. The car is sluggish in hot humid weather, too much body roll in cornering for a "sport suspension", steering is ponderous and heavy.

critical driver
By xc driver in Colo on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had the car for 16 months and 25K miles. Absolutely NO mechanical problems at all. I had some flasher light and remote entry problems due to bad parts, both fixed. Wonderful to drive, dealer has been incredible.

Don't you dare call it a station wagon!
By Jdubya on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I'm a Gen-X'er and feel proud to drive what many may see as "your grandpa's wagon". I am here to tell you it is not! This is simply the most comfortable and safe feeling car you can buy. It looks like a muscular black panther ready to strike. Although a bit sluggish off the line, it performs well past 1st gear. This is the first car I can see never getting tired of.

Great
By markyv on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This car is awesome.

Mike's V70 Review
By mikemccrary on 04/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall, this is an excellent car; probably the most comfortable of any car I've ever driven. It has a few reliability problems (since I bought it in July 2000, I've had to replace the alternator, right electric door lock, brake booster, both headlight bulbs, one tail light bulb, and some air conditioning work - can't remember exactly, but it wasn't blowing cold air). Visibility out of the rear side windows is hampered a little by the front seat headrests. Very peppy, wonderful ride, and fun to drive.

V70 T5 Stick
By mercury_62 on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

We love this Car, Got all the options! it out handles most sedans and out excelarates most sports cars!