Used 2001 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Love it, hate it, love it, hate it
By A driver in East TN

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my first non-Honda/Acura vehicle, and likely my last. I bought it used less than 3 years ago, and since then it seems as though something or another is constantly breaking: ABS module ($900); outside temperature sensor; turbo boost sensor; body and interior hardware; a/c blower; fuses blowing; you name it. I love the comfort, the looks and the cargo room, but it's wearing me out.

Lots of cargo space, accessory outlets, comfy seats. I also feel very safe in it. Lots of punchy acceleration too.

Flimsy plastic interior/exterior body hardware; overall quality and reliability are disappointing.

Too bad
By Allison

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car because my husband has always had Volvos. Well he'd never had one like this! We've had major repairs that have cost big money. From the turbo clip, to the gas cover, to a transmission update ($1400!) which didn't fix the problem. We were just told the transmission is about to go so we have to get out from under this money pit. In a little over a year we have spent close to $3000. It looks like 60,000 is the magic mileage for this Volvo. Once you hit that, be prepared to have it in the shop every three months.

It's a comfortable beautiful car. Too bad it's so expensive to keep running.

Buying Trouble
By Mr. & Mrs. K

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

With a family, household and business to run, we encounter enough trouble and stress without having to pay a premium car price for more. Please save yourself time, money and mental health and buy some other car. We've had two software updates covered by the recall (I say covered by the recall in that we did not have to pay for the software update, but no one reimbursed us for time, trouble, babysitters, etc). We've spent $1000 on the abs module and more in just the 2.5 years we've owned the car. We're going today to trade it in on something else. I've had cars that cost half the price of the Volvo that ran much better and provided much fewer headaches.

Comfortable seats, nice internal controls.

Make a car that works. Car is too low to the ground for getting babies in and out of the back.

Happy Days
By Southern Car Owner

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Today is the happiest day of our lives with our Volvo - it's trade-in day. This car has been in the shop so many times - bulbs, seat motors, transmissions, electronics, power window lifts, rear hatch, batteries, alternators, voltage regulors, and most recently 1,100 climate control module. Our favorite was at 70 mph the engine fault sensor shut down the car completely - real hazard! Only good thing on this entire car is the engine which has given us the least amount of problems.

Handling, driveablity, extended warranty - a requirement for ownership of this car after the basic warranty expires!

Listen to customers - Volvo, don't put too much technology on any car before your sure it will work properly, Make your cars are reliable once again, remember customers buy your cars, count me out of that category!

The Truth about the 2001 Volvo V70XC!
By brent g

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car in 2003 and the transmission was replaced under warranty. I was told by a tech that all the 2001s had a software problem that if it wasn't fixed in time would cause permanent damage. Over the history of this car the throttlebody, radiator & fan, sensors and mounts were all replaced under warranty. Make sure these repairs are done or that you have a warranty! I currently have 120k miles on the car and running well. I was recently hit (drvrs frnt) by a teen boy who ran a red light but slowed to about 20mph. My wife and 3 kids were in the car. The damage to the car was literally unidentifiable except for a slight hood adj that was made in a few minutes. What more can I say.

Safety, comfort, ride, handling, looks/design, interior and other features.

Make sure that if the common 01 problems are not already fixed that you have a warranty for the car!