Used 2001 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Our V70 saved my husband's life
By mandagabby

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My husband totaled our V70 last week. He hit an interstate wall at 70 mph after being clipped by a tractor trailer. He was rushed to the hospital but walked away five hours later with a bad seat belt bruise and a cut from his sunglasses. The car did not survive and I've already bought a new Volvo to replace it. We bought this car at 5 yo and 65000 miles. Got a great deal, local family had all the service records. Besides being in the lightbulb of the month club, there was one issue with the throttle module that was replaced under warranty and never acted up again. We had the car for 12000 miles and only had to change the oil changed and replace two light bulbs. Man, do I miss that car!

Comfort and quality of the leather seats. They'd hardly aged at all. Positioning of rear seat a/c. Built in screen was perfect for my dogs, they loved it! Loved the storage area in the rear seat footwell. This car is a tank but does not drive like one. Extremely versatile car!

The lightbulb thing gets old, the inside of the door handles seems to wear out quickly.

Not reliable any longer
By Dianne

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

When my husband passed I needed a reliable car. I purchased a used XCV70Turbo in June 2004. I have driven Volvos for 30 years, 7 new and this one used. I felt confident I had a dependable vehicle. The car performed well until February 2007 when the engine began missing and stalling. My dealer said the engine has failed and is ruined. It is still under warranty but the warranty company refuses to honor it. The car has 75,000 miles on it. I now have no car and it will cost me several thousand to just get it off my hands - I still owe more than the dealer will give me even for a trade in. I will not be throwing this kind of money at Volvo ever again. Sad ending to a long friendship w Volvo.

Appearance in and out; comfort; ability to go anywhere is important as I live in the woods; handling; safety issues; my Volvos have saved my life more than once.

2001 V70XC Turbo engines apparently have a design flaw. The company should stand behind these. There were several cars w/problems like mine at the same dealership.

Love/hate relationship
By Car guy

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car with the intention of keeping it for a long time. With 64,000 mi. this car is the most unreliable (by far) vehicle I've ever owned! I spent nearly $2000 at 60,000 mi. for service and repairs and 3000 mi. later the service light is on again. I am on the third main computer module (thankfully under warranty), ABS module ($1000), the throttle module left me stranded hundreds of miles from home. I've replaced a wheel bearing, power steering problems and countless light bulbs repeatedly. Easily over $2000 in repairs alone, not including tires, brakes, regular maintenance, etc. Great when it works, but can no longer trust it! Will be replaced soon, not Volvo.

Very comfortable, great for traveling. Good handling, nice-looking inside and out. Feel safe and like the all-wheel- drive.

Reliability! Back seat tight. Spending thousands of dollars repair a relatively low mileage car is totally absurd. Volvo should bend over backwards to accommodate the owner's problems, especially for a $40,000 car. They don't; out of warranty, out of luck and it will cost you dearly!

Afraid what the future may bring
By Glamrgyrl

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had my XC for 1 year now. I just took the car in for the 60k mile and was told I also needed to replace inner tie rods, along with some other expensive repair. I noticed one other reviewer also had to replace. I find this to be ridiculous. The worst thing, my car jolts, jumps, throttles off and I had the software replacement on the recall. Last night check engine light on when I just spent $1600 last month at the shop. This is scary. I am a loyal Volvo customer, this is my 2nd wagon (last one was 12 yrs old), but I don't think I will purchase another. The throttle problem is a dangerous one as you don't know when the car is not going to respond?

Baseball stitch leather, color of leather, solid feel, safety, roomy.

Make the car reliable for heaven's sake! Do something about the bulbs, how annoying!

Great ride but one repair after another
By ksmith905

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I do love the feel, looks, and power of this car. It is ergonomically the best car I've yet owned. I am, however, completely fed up with the many repairs (expensive ones at that) that I've needed for the last 3 years (since the warranty expired). I replaced emission sensors twice, replaced strut top caps, replaced the drive shaft. I have lost confidence in this car... intermittent "emissions system service required" & ABS service required" messages, one blinker bulb or another blowing out every 4 months or so. A month ago a hissing by the brake pedal. Diagnosis: time to replace the brake booster - $800. Tonight a new message: "transmission service required". Argh!

plenty of power, great ergonomics - very comfortable ride, well placed instrumentation.

Improve reliability!