2001 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
V70 T5 Volvo Wagon
By Angelia on 01/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

The ultimate mom mobile with style. In trying to avoid the world of minivans I happened upon my V70 T5 and just love it. The seats are exteremly comfortable and there is no loss of power or comfort extras on this Volvo. So far I have not had any major issues with the car and the small things I have had the warranty covered without the slightest problems.

2001 V70 XC AWD
By InAgony on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Love the car BUT.....3 transmissions replaced all under warranty (good luck XC90 owners, you got the same lemon trans but a much heavier vehicle...see you in the shop!!!!), engine rear main seal failed and had to be replaced, vibration, excessive tire wear, headlights burn out every 6 months, squeeks and growns from suspension, soft leather tears very easily with kids. Parts prices are ridiculuously expensive.

WINNS CAR
By p morgan on 11/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

3 YRS OLD AND LOTS OF STUFF HAS BEEN FIXED. THE REMOTE CONTROL DOOR LOCKS,THE POWER DRIVERS SEAT, THE PASSENGER SEAT IS A PAIN TO ADJUST, NEW FRONT STRUT, NEW RADIO & SPEAKERS, NEW CUP HOLDERS. WE HAVE TAKEN EXC. CARE OF THIS VEHICLE. THE ONLY STRONG POINT IS INTERSTATE DRIVING. THE QUALITY AND INTERIOR DESIGN IS POOR AND MY WIFE IS READY TO SELL. WE WILL NOT PURCHASE ANY MORE VOLVOS.

Exceptional Automobile
By V70Driver on 09/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

My reliable 240 was ready to be replaced, and I knew I wanted to stick with the brand. The XC looked good, my wife and I had a child on the way, and we were never interested in the whole SUV thing. (Do I even need to mention the "M" word?) It wasn't until I spoke to a friend who had a photograph of the next generation Volvo wagons that I put my purchase on hold. Talk about a dream come true. The T5 has it all - amazing looks, horsepower to spare, incredible handling and control, and it is perhaps the most comfortable car I've ever had the pleasure of driving. Given the choice of a huge engine or XC, I went with the engine - and am very happy I did.

Volvo-not-all-its-crack-up-to-be
By Volvo-Mon's Car on 08/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car new for my wife, she now says after 2 years she going to keep it. The door handles are ugly with fake wood with black coming. It drips oil on my garage floor also leaks transmission fluid. Driver's seat wouldn't move that was fun!!! Window on the passenger side would sometimes does not roll-up. We have replaced all the bulbs in the car at least once! Now a $34 turn signal on the side needs replacing. Now it has the brake light come on - dealer can't fix it. We have about 28k miles on it and was hoping to keep it for 10 years like all people who drive Volvo's say they should last.

Good design but poor execution
By Tarheel on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

The V70 T5 has reasonable performance, but it did not live up to its potential. I understand from my friends in Sweden that Volvo actually provided reprogrammed chips to V70 T5 owners because the 2.4T outperformed the T5. From the very beginning, we have had a number of problems related to poor quality control. Interior trim on the A-post fell off the first month we had it. Over 10 bulbs have burned out. The dealer has replaced them without charge up until now, but it still means we have to take the car in frequently. The biggest problem was complete transmission failure at 60,000 miles. Totally unacceptable in a car in this price range.

Volvo 4 life-NOT
By bobcarguy on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Great car for long highway drives...but a bit too noisy/jarring. Front seats aren't comfortable you can't get the "right" adjustment. The HVAC system is noisy...fails to provide cold AC in the summer. Not enough usable areas to store things in the cabin. Finally, I never paid $90 for an oil change until I owned a Volvo...and took it in for the 7000 mile service!

Reliability Issues
By Ken Hendren on 07/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Love the car when it runs - speaker replacement, two headlights replaced, and transmission replaced all within first 28,000 miles. Just looked into trading this in and the depreciation is horrible - car is worth $19500 after 3 years. Buy it if you have a dealership close by. This is our 7th but last Volvo.

What's with the whining? Awesome Car!
By Hi Speed Kid Hauler on 06/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Replaced 92 945T with over 226K + original turbo......this car ROCKS! Fast, luxurious, SAFE, great mileage, and hauls 2 toddlers, the two big dogs qucikly, in comfort. Factory stereo jams. OK, I had ONE bulb replaced (they're FREE so what?). NO other problems whatsoever and I drive fast, cruise at 80 mph get 25 mpg....These other people whining about tires lasting 20K (Z rated 17 inch, what do you want, they handle great), sidewall bubbles are caused by bashing into objects with too low air pressure (try 38 psi all around), maintenance costs are cheap, Mobil 1 oil change every 5K...love our car!

No better wagon for the $
By Rick Stadler on 06/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I've been driving this wagon for almost 3 years and still love it. It's fast, responsive looks great and hauls a bunch of stuff (or 7 people with the 3rd row). It's still a solid ride, never been in the shop for anything other than regular maintenance. Cup holder lost it's spring and original 17" tires (too loud) swapped for Michelin Pilots. It's only fair competition is the BMW and MB wagon (at least another $10K more). No mini-van or SUV comes close in terms of value, style, performance. In response to previous comment on '01 wagon being a "jerry-rigged Ford" ...Ford bought Volvo in '99 when the new model was already at the auto shows.