Used 2001 Volvo V70 XC Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Fun to drive and super versatile
By jbberge

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have driven this car in snow, rain, ice, and the deserts of AZ and nothing has slowed it down. I even drove it up a running river (not very deep) on a camping trip once. It holds my mtn bike if I fold the seats down, and I've slept in it a few times too. Yeah, it's a bit expensive to service and I think it's a little funny looking but I couldn't be much happier with a wagon! Just be sure to stay up on your maintenance because it's way cheaper than repairing something once it breaks.

Favorite Features

Versatility, safety, MPG

Drives like a car, totes like a UTE
By polyas1st

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Volvo's are, like most European cars for people who like to drive. Despite being needlessly burdened with a 4wd system, riding 3" too high , and having 300lbs of extra weight, this car actually handles competently. I do my own work on the car so repair costs aren't really an issue but if you had to have it worked on it would be pretty expensive to maintain properly. It is certainly more expensive to run than a Kia Sorento which is because it is not a Kia Sorento. I like the fact that everything is heavy duty, even the leather on the seats is surprisingly thick.

Favorite Features

The interior is super rugged. with extra fasteners all over the place for secure connections. The engine / driveline is easy to work on. I put a heater core in at 150000 and it was the easiest heater core I ever replaced. The car drives great, but the xc has lighter steering than the regular v70 which is poor. The controls are well layed out and big enough to use which is a refreshing change. The seats are firm and supportive. The wagon has a ton of space and easy access. The rear seats are real seats. The car has great visibility. The mileage is outstanding for what it is (too bad you can't give manual diesel estates away in America)

Suggested Improvements

The window control buttons were covered with some kind rubber that decayed and became sticky residue. Alcohol easily dissolves the goo, but no need for that in the first place. The car has no rust anywhere, except... the center bearing support is completely rusted through and corrupt. Never seen anything like it. The viscus coupling for 4wd is a nonsense design that requires careful wheel placement based on diameter. Pop a tire and replace two??? Not a good idea. The upper engine mount does a great job isolating the passengers from the engine vibration, but fails on a regular basis. A car like this should have a 110v outlet especially being a rugged kind of car.

Biggest Mistake I Ever Made When Buying A Car
By steadybeat

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I thought when I bought a Volvo I was getting a quality vehicle. While it does have the most comfortable seats , a decent enough stereo system, and other interior features that are very appealing it has become a glorified enclosed couch sitting in my driveway. How I wish I had read the reviews here before purchasing because I would have changed my mind. I went with it because of the reputation of the company that I knew of in the mid-80's. It lasted a total of 6 days from purchase from a private seller. I noticed that the heater wasn't putting out and checked fluid levels and topped off the radiator. It came home on a rollback: overheated+blown head gasket. Never,ever, again. What a waste!!!

What a disappointment
By makanani2

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I'm thinking the only reason why this car comes up with 4-stars is for the comfort and interior and exterior design, which are excellent. Tell any Volvo mechanic that you own a 2001 Volvo V70 XC and after they stop laughing hysterically, they'll weep for you. The transmission is going to fail, if it hasn't already. Mine had an oil leak so bad, we named the car "The Valdez". Three weeks after being told that it would cost more to replace the transmission and fix the oil leaks than the car was worth, it blew up on a mountain pass. If you want a Volvo, find an older 740 (non -turbo).

Favorite Features

Most comfortable seats ever!

worst car ever !!!
By Los Cabos

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Replace transmission 2 times going to third. It's worst car ever !! Avoid Volvo brand!