2001 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Fun to drive and super versatile
By jbberge on 07/11/13 12:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have driven this car in snow, rain, ice, and the deserts of AZ and nothing has slowed it down. I even drove it up a running river (not very deep) on a camping trip once. It holds my mtn bike if I fold the seats down, and I've slept in it a few times too. Yeah, it's a bit expensive to service and I think it's a little funny looking but I couldn't be much happier with a wagon! Just be sure to stay up on your maintenance because it's way cheaper than repairing something once it breaks.

Drives like a car, totes like a UTE
By polyas1st on 06/11/12 18:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Volvo's are, like most European cars for people who like to drive. Despite being needlessly burdened with a 4wd system, riding 3" too high , and having 300lbs of extra weight, this car actually handles competently. I do my own work on the car so repair costs aren't really an issue but if you had to have it worked on it would be pretty expensive to maintain properly. It is certainly more expensive to run than a Kia Sorento which is because it is not a Kia Sorento. I like the fact that everything is heavy duty, even the leather on the seats is surprisingly thick.

Biggest Mistake I Ever Made When Buying A Car
By steadybeat on 04/05/12 09:19 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I thought when I bought a Volvo I was getting a quality vehicle. While it does have the most comfortable seats , a decent enough stereo system, and other interior features that are very appealing it has become a glorified enclosed couch sitting in my driveway. How I wish I had read the reviews here before purchasing because I would have changed my mind. I went with it because of the reputation of the company that I knew of in the mid-80's. It lasted a total of 6 days from purchase from a private seller. I noticed that the heater wasn't putting out and checked fluid levels and topped off the radiator. It came home on a rollback: overheated+blown head gasket. Never,ever, again. What a waste!!!

What a disappointment
By makanani2 on 07/24/11 20:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I'm thinking the only reason why this car comes up with 4-stars is for the comfort and interior and exterior design, which are excellent. Tell any Volvo mechanic that you own a 2001 Volvo V70 XC and after they stop laughing hysterically, they'll weep for you. The transmission is going to fail, if it hasn't already. Mine had an oil leak so bad, we named the car "The Valdez". Three weeks after being told that it would cost more to replace the transmission and fix the oil leaks than the car was worth, it blew up on a mountain pass. If you want a Volvo, find an older 740 (non -turbo).

worst car ever !!!
By Los Cabos on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Replace transmission 2 times going to third. It's worst car ever !! Avoid Volvo brand!

Looks great on paper
By Eric on 06/29/10 11:36 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

... not so great to actually own. We've had this car close to two full years now, and although I did some homework going into it, I had no idea just how annoying this vehicle is with regards to repairs. I like working on cars, but it seemed like every weekend I was out in the garage replacing a bulb, fixing a leak, trouble shooting cryptic error messages. Ugh. Final straw was finding out the transmission is going to need replacing, and the engine can't maintain oil pressure. Least reliable car I've ever owned. I intentionally bought the Volvo to be safe and something our family could rely on, instead it's a crap shoot every time you get in the car.

XC is a big improvement over SUV
By ericj on 09/21/09 14:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

After 2 small SUV's I bought the XC. With the interior capacity, roof rack with cross rails and roof storage container, I can carry more than when I had an SUV. The ride is much smoother and the power of the turbo helps getting on the highway. I get about 18mpg around town and 28mpg on the highway. I have kept up with maintenance and only had a problem with a leaky angle drive. I have to drive farther for work, so I am putting more highway mileage on it. Very comfortable to drive long distance.

DO NOT Buy a used 2001 XC
By The Sluffy on 05/08/09 10:09 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I loved the design of these Cross Country wagons, very handsome, and the interior fit and finish is really beautiful in this car, but otherwise this think is an abosule MESS. Stay away at all costs. I have owned two other Volvos in the past, but this piece of junk has really soured me on Volvo. Its too bad...but I think the 2000 and 2001/2002 are really bad reliability wise. Ive had to replace the transmission, there is always something going wrong with the car, and its so crazy expensive to get it fixed, at least $500 to $1000 each time it goes to the shop. Im dumping this piece of junk before it eats my lunch.

never again!
By nomorevolvos on 01/20/09 21:15 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I thought Volvos were better cars. You know, Sweden has harsh weather and terrain, so the vehicles produced there should be appropriately durable. maybe they have that public health care thing for cars also. yes, add me to the list of casualties. I bought my V70 XC last year and have had nothing but problems. Transmission was jerky so I took it to the dealer, only to have it reflashed with no improvement. While there, they discovered bad trans and engine mounts, leaking angle drive and several broken suspension components. This is in addition to the $2000 scheduled maintenance, adding up to almost what I paid for this vehicle. The service and repair history I requested was 34 pages!

Versatile Family Wagon
By XC Family on 11/06/08 12:45 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

If you want to drive a car/wagon without feeling tons of weight and moving a hefty-size SUV, this is the crossover that you need. I've definitely found myself in love with this XC wagon, not just me but my entire family. It's such a versatile everyday car. Also come in handy moving stuff and going for long trips. Plus the Volvo's legendary safety features loaded in this car. The only thing I would do differently is to buy this car earlier. Gas mileage is quite good in its class, I get around 22 to 24 for mostly sub-urban city driving.

1 2 3 4 5 next »