Used 2001 Volvo V70 XC Wagon Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Great car but maintenance is out of this world!
By I Want to like the car so badly

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Be prepared to be in the shop frequently and be trouble shooting often. These cars are overly complicated and have computers inside of everything and they often malfunction.

Volvo saved my family
By Katie

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car in January for my first Big investment to keep my growing family safe.
I was sold the car with several things wrong without prior knowledge. The vehicle had an oil leak (pretty significant) and the back wiper blade refused to function along with the back hatch having electrical issues.
The passenger door just stopped working and the check engine light came on 2 days after buying it due to a "thermostat" code. The transmission seems weird at times, almost like it doesn't shift correctly. Mine has the "slap shift" option which may have something to do with it? but other than that it has been a really great car.

This Volvo is a beast in the snow, rain, climbing mountains and handles great in all.

This vehicle deserves 10 out of 5 stars for safety! I firmly beleive if I was in another vechicle our circumstances would have been much worse.
We were re-ended in March, hit so hard that it knocked us into the car in front of us!
Needless to say my Volvo took the hit like a champion and saved my husband, son, grandmother, and myself from serious injury.
Sadly it was a total loss to damages, however I will buy another volvo (new year) to replace it!

Fun to drive and super versatile
By jbberge

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have driven this car in snow, rain, ice, and the deserts of AZ and nothing has slowed it down. I even drove it up a running river (not very deep) on a camping trip once. It holds my mtn bike if I fold the seats down, and I've slept in it a few times too. Yeah, it's a bit expensive to service and I think it's a little funny looking but I couldn't be much happier with a wagon! Just be sure to stay up on your maintenance because it's way cheaper than repairing something once it breaks.

Versatility, safety, MPG

Drives like a car, totes like a UTE
By polyas1st

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Volvo's are, like most European cars for people who like to drive.
Despite being needlessly burdened with a 4wd system, riding 3" too high , and having 300lbs of extra weight, this car actually handles competently.
I do my own work on the car so repair costs aren't really an issue but if you had to have it worked on it would be pretty expensive to maintain properly.
It is certainly more expensive to run than a Kia Sorento which is because it is not a Kia Sorento.

I like the fact that everything is heavy duty, even the leather on the seats is surprisingly thick.

The interior is super rugged. with extra fasteners all over the place for secure connections. The engine / driveline is easy to work on. I put a heater core in at 150000 and it was the easiest heater core I ever replaced. The car drives great, but the xc has lighter steering than the regular v70 which is poor. The controls are well layed out and big enough to use which is a refreshing change. The seats are firm and supportive. The wagon has a ton of space and easy access. The rear seats are real seats. The car has great visibility. The mileage is outstanding for what it is (too bad you can't give manual diesel estates away in America)

The window control buttons were covered with some kind rubber that decayed and became sticky residue. Alcohol easily dissolves the goo, but no need for that in the first place. The car has no rust anywhere, except... the center bearing support is completely rusted through and corrupt. Never seen anything like it. The viscus coupling for 4wd is a nonsense design that requires careful wheel placement based on diameter. Pop a tire and replace two??? Not a good idea. The upper engine mount does a great job isolating the passengers from the engine vibration, but fails on a regular basis. A car like this should have a 110v outlet especially being a rugged kind of car.

Biggest Mistake I Ever Made When Buying A Car
By steadybeat

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I thought when I bought a Volvo I was getting a quality vehicle. While it does have the most comfortable seats , a decent enough stereo system, and other interior features that are very appealing it has become a glorified enclosed couch sitting in my driveway. How I wish I had read the reviews here before purchasing because I would have changed my mind. I went with it because of the reputation of the company that I knew of in the mid-80's. It lasted a total of 6 days from purchase from a private seller. I noticed that the heater wasn't putting out and checked fluid levels and topped off the radiator. It came home on a rollback: overheated+blown head gasket. Never,ever, again. What a waste!!!