2001 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Buy this car if you like throwing money in the trash
By heather50 on 09/20/12 11:10 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Everything has systematically broken down, cracked, snapped off or ripped on this car. My mechanic even shakes his head at the ridiculously poor quality of this vehicle. I spent well over 10,000 on mechanical repairs in the last 6 years, always thinking that each trip to the mechanic would be the last.....Ha! In addition to that expense- the following have happened: glove compartment hinge broken, electrical door locks and windows don't always work, panel by drive shaft cracked, side view mirror adjuster broken off, most speakers are not working, locking system on back hatch doesn't always close, vent panel for defrost fell off, and more burnt out head and tail lights than imaginable.

01 V70 T5 Geartronic/ Auto
By cub740 on 03/31/12 05:28 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my V70 T5 Automatic 2 years ago not knowing the bad rep the car has. No wonder the price is pretty low. In 2 years, i put in 50K miles with total support from Volvo specialist for a routine maintenance and to tackle to 'usual' problem. It has been maintained with full synthetic at the specialist (NOT JIFFY LUBE) who knows this car in and out. Car has been served me well but it does cost a lot to maintain this car. But when you compare this wagon to a BMW / AUDI/ Mercedes wagon, then volvo still cheaper than those germans. Don't compare these cars with your HONDA or TOYOTA. Compare Euro to Euro not to the Japs. Your idea of cheap maintenance, get a honda/toyota. Problems below*

V70 T5- Not a Bad Car
By TEF on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought new in 2001 through Volvo's Diplomat Sales as special order with cloth interior (vice leather) and 5- Speed MANUAL transmission. Car has been very reliable and aside from usual wear items such as pads and rotors, have not spent more than $1K over last 10 years for repairs that included replacement of a pollution device plus new timing and serpentine belts. Perhaps having the manual transmission that's made the difference, but has been dependable and decent on gas. Would not buy another Volvo because Ford pretty much destroyed the company. Current Volvos are just too expensive for what one gets. Current models offer old technology.

Better Than Average
By TEF on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Special ordered thru Diplomat Sales program with 5-Spd MANUAL transmission and cloth interior. Over the last 10 years, I've replaced only brake pads/rotors, timing belt and one emission component. Obviously having a manual transmission, spared me the universal problems associated with auto transmissions, but the car has been very dependable by any measure. Other than brakes and rotors that I replaced myself, total repairs by dealers and/or privite shops since 2001 total less than $1,000.

Leaks more than the Gulf
By oilslick on 07/08/10 21:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was a problem child the moment we got it. Transmission computer failed, then the trans blew, engine mounts continually fail, side marker lights fell out several times. dipstick is constantly shot out, spraying oil everywhere, no solution from repair shop. Eats oil and gas like it's going out of style. semi-auto shifter broke early, expensive to fix. It is safe though, spends more time in the shop than on the road!

Work on it yourself!!!
By Backyard Swede Mech on 03/02/10 22:11 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a good car that gets a bad rap. The tranny has a $19 fix from IPD to fix the hard into and out of 3rd shifts, and missing 3rd all together. The ETM should be replaced with one from xemodex in Canada. They have a mod that turns them into a lifetime unit. Although it is $550. Those two things will cover 90% of the complaints.

Often Love This Car
By Margaret Treat on 01/29/10 08:31 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Have owned this since new. I enjoy the comfort of the ride and the saftey features. The car has never broken down on me. I travel cross country alone and even camp in it. It's solid. I have had to replace the top motor mount, mass air flow, lots of headlight and tail light bulbs, the electronic throttle and the temp sensor for the heater. But the car has 150,000 miles on it. The motor doesn't use a drop of oil. I have used Mobile 1 in it since break in. The car is amazing on icy and snow packed roads. I often say I love the car and have kept it longer than my cars in the past. But repairs are expensive and I hate the dealership. With no other dealership close, I would not buy another one.

'01 V70 T5 - Thumbs Up!
By Rick on 12/02/09 11:27 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

New to the Volvo world but my brother has owned three, including his current '02 V70. Just brought home our '01 T5 last month; it's a well-maintained 2-owner w. 95k mi. I've owned various BMWs, Jaguars, VWs, etc. & this Volvo compares very well. From the interior & exterior design to the performance & fun of driving, the car has an overall feel of real quality & thoughtful engineering. As preventative maintenance, I changed the timing belt (incl. tensioner & pulley) & water pump after the purchase; also put in a new cabin air filter. The '01 V70 sometimes gets a bad rap, but I suspect that's at least as much owner issues as the car itself. Thumbs up on a great car, especially the T5.

2001 Volvo Transmission Problem
By ararat on 11/28/09 08:57 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had 3 2001 xc 70's, now I'm down to 1 and I have a 2001 V70 T5. They all have had the same problem- TRANSMISSION....I think somebody should start a lawsuit against Volvo because anyone who has a 2001 Volvo has a transmission problem. I've tried everything to fix the problem...nothing works. The only thing that would help is buying a whole new transmission.

Were Do I Start?
By art on 08/04/09 16:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I am 59 years old and I have owned about 8-10 volvos during my life. Most recently I purchased a used off of a lease v-70 T-5 with 47000 miles on it. It had a full service till 100K. If it did not have that I would have gone broke. Here is a list. 2 radiators, one ac unit, one transmission, numerous electrical problems, 2 replaced sunroofs. Most recently I have to stuff rags and paper into the sunroof area to keep the sunroof from rattling. Numerous rattles in the car, rough ride and the list goes on. My previous car was an acura which give up the ghost at 225,000 miles. This volvo is a piece of junk. I would stay away like a bad cold. Never again. Then I found out that most of the