Used 2001 Volvo V70 2.4M Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Best Car I'll ever own
By Bruce McNally

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I paid more for my 2001 V70 2.3 (manual trannie(but with just about every extra available) than I ever had for anything - 20K with 37K miles. It just turned 240,000 and has gotten me from NYC to Merida, L.A., Portland, New Orleans (yearly), Florida you name it - snow, ice, rain & wind, in great comfort, style and if I could figure out how to keep this car for the rest of my life I'd do it. It ain't cheap but you've gotta find great (not dealer) mechanics and sometimes buy your own parts online. I do understand the auto trannie in these first years sucked and have friends with those problems, but otherwise *****

Favorite Features

Heated seats & seats themselves, sound system, handling, mileage (30 highway), overall reliability, exterior design (mine's Moondust then had a black leather interior installed), CARGO CAPACITY, room for me and 3 dogs to sleep, power (that's the 5-speed)

Suggested Improvements

Rear legroom, road clearance (I had to finally have mine jacked up - what with NYC and NO road conditions - went through 3 radiators)

volvo 2001
By alex

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought a Volvo when my wife told me she was pregnant for a 3 rd time, 3 kids I tough Volvo would deliver. Transmission problem than the heater radiator broke got it change now it stinks like hell when I put the heat on and it leaks oil too bad because it is comfortable and nice but I don't know if I'm going to keep it now I have a message that says check brake lights I look at them and they don't work so I change the bulbs and still don't work what should I do?

Suggested Improvements

reliability

Great car until you hit 100K
By johng

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is my third Volvo. I loved it for the first 100K miles or so. After that, the thing starts to get really expensive to own. It seems like every electrical, fuel injection, and exhaust system has gone bad. New alternator, catalytic converter, several sensors, computer. Not the reliability of the first two cars. BTW, Bosch doesn't make anything that costs less than 200 dollars. If you plan to keep this car or buy a high mileage Volvo, make sure you have the money in the bank to fix it! Also, the leather they used in this thing looks like crap after about 75K of normal use.

Favorite Features

Styling. Fuel economy, good road manners.

Suggested Improvements

Better leather quality. Less costly to repair. Greater reliability.

Excellent Car!!! Safety First!
By Volvo V70 -Excellent

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I am surprised at reading some negative reviews. My Volvo has been great without any of the problems mentioned. Its great on gas mileage, has a reliable engine and transmission and most importantly it is safe for my kids. We have made long trips and our Volvo has been a delight. Volvo forever!

Favorite Features

Design, interior, exterior. Good Gas mileage.

Transmission Troubles
By Julie

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I love the car but am very disappointed that after only 85k we are getting rid of it quickly due to alleged transmission problems and fuel pump problems. This car has been babied - all services, all maintenance, all done at the dealership. We just cannot justify a new transmission at a cost of over $4k. I really thought the volvo brand would take me much farther than 100k miles. I hate that we are in such a disposable society that we sacrifice quality for profitability. Volvo will not get any more of my money.

Favorite Features

Great looking car. Easy to drive. Great visibility. Good gas mileage. Plenty of room.

Suggested Improvements

Better warranty to suggest that the car is worth the payment and the company stands behind their product.