Used 2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Uneven Likeability
By sbe79

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have V70 T5 model. It has 147K on it. I have to say that I really, really like the car. I just don't enjoy the difficulties that come along with it. It drives, mostly, great. I like the way it handles. It may be a station wagon, but it's still an interesting car. The leather interior is miles better than Volvo was using in the 90s. However, the transmission had to be rebuilt before I even got it off the used dealership lot. One year later, it struggles to go from 1st to 2nd gear in the morning. The driver's side control panel on the door works infrequently (so most of the time, my window won't go down and I can't lock the doors remotely). Mechanic can't find the issue.

Favorite Features

Good handling. Good overall layout. Great amount of space in a nice-looking car that aesthetically holds up after 12 years. Fun to drive. It fits me, my wife, our 2 teenage boys and a carseat for our toddler nicely.

Suggested Improvements

The transmissions in these are crap. Electrically, it's a bit iffy. The door panel is one thing. The car does this weird thing also when it's off and sitting in the driveway -- the fan will turn on and air will blow out the inside vents. For no apparent reason. It also makes a noise inside the dashboard when you first open the driver's door. Kind of sounds like a CD changer switching CDs, except my CD changer is in the trunk not the dash. It makes the noise and then winds down like it has a dying battery inside until it just stops. I suppose a lot of the other stuff is basic wear and tear, I just wish the electrical aspect wasn't so wonky. It would be pricey to fix it all.

AS EXPECTED AND BETTER!
By mrsimpson

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

First, after much review perhaps the XC models have far more problems than the 2.4T V70. I am at 124,000 and this car is the most comfortable, reliable and all around best car to drive. I also own a 2008 Audi A4, and although the Audi is the prize, I lean more toward driving the Volvo ALL THE TIME! The only issue I had was the radiator modulator going bad, which ran me about 575 dollars and only because my friend is a mechanic! Volvo would have easily been a 1000 plus job! But you know the parts are pricey, find a trusting local guy or do the regular maintenence yourself, it pays! That said I commute just shy of 90 miles a day and this car runs so smooth it is a pure joy. Also good on gas!

Favorite Features

Favorites are the heated seats in winter, ice cold A/C in summer, SMOOTHE RIDE!, Fuel economy for a wagon is excellent, the POWER of the turbo is fantastic also, you will move when you want to and no one will even suspect it out of this somewhat unaspicious, less assuming beauty. Safety is also great, take a look behind you when you drive the wagon and you will realize, if one day some genius is texting or drunk driving and rams you from behind (enter joke here) then you will be more likely to be aok. The storage is better than most SUVs also!

Suggested Improvements

Heat controls get funny, you have to adjust (this is a common flaw) but once you get it down, it becomes a part of this cars character strangely enough.

Do people even know how to maintain a vehicle anymore, love my volvo
By derove

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

so i bought my volvo new in 2001 and i am currently at 400,000 miles, what did i do, i changed the oil every 4k miles, changed the timing belt every 105k miles, i did have to fix the gas gauge cause the bobber in the fuel tank was stuck, and let me think what else oh i needed to put a new cd player in it bought it a stock one from ebay for 50 bucks, people are just stupid you cant just drive a car and expect it to last without normal matanice, you guys complain ill be back when mine reaches a million miles and thats my word.

Favorite Features

everything

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage

Junk After 120K miles
By jmg1977

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is a Volvo, right? It is actually my 4th. And my last. Too bad for what used to be a great Swedish product, but not anymore! Nice styling, great handling on the interstate and sips gas. All ok until about 120K miles. Then literally every electronic and fuel injection component, even the seatbelts started to malfunction. Thousands of dollars. Not the typical older car reliability failures and certainly Bosch doesn't make anything reasonably priced for replacement parts. My next car will be American or Japanese. Not as unreliable or expensive to fix.

Favorite Features

Styling, fuel economy, road manners

Suggested Improvements

Return to quality manufacturing of core systems so there is not a huge cost of ownership and frustration once the car is middle aged.

Most expensive car I have ever owned
By Barney

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Front end is weak. Constantly requires repair and replacement of tie- rod-ends, ball joints, constant velocity boots, etc. You name it, it's been replaced, multiple times. Power window motors, go through them like candy. Transmission was replaced with 1 mile left in warranty. Transmission is going again but it lasted 150,000 miles. Rattles, boy does it ever. But, it hasn't rusted out and the engine is still strong after 188,000 miles. Again, I cannot tell you how much this thing has cost to maintain but it's got to be close to the purchase price. Most comfortable seats of any vehicle I have owned.

Favorite Features

Seats are so comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Needs a more solid front end and a more reliable transmission.