2001 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Uneven Likeability
By sbe79 on 08/06/13 13:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have V70 T5 model. It has 147K on it. I have to say that I really, really like the car. I just don't enjoy the difficulties that come along with it. It drives, mostly, great. I like the way it handles. It may be a station wagon, but it's still an interesting car. The leather interior is miles better than Volvo was using in the 90s. However, the transmission had to be rebuilt before I even got it off the used dealership lot. One year later, it struggles to go from 1st to 2nd gear in the morning. The driver's side control panel on the door works infrequently (so most of the time, my window won't go down and I can't lock the doors remotely). Mechanic can't find the issue.

AS EXPECTED AND BETTER!
By mrsimpson on 07/29/12 14:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

First, after much review perhaps the XC models have far more problems than the 2.4T V70. I am at 124,000 and this car is the most comfortable, reliable and all around best car to drive. I also own a 2008 Audi A4, and although the Audi is the prize, I lean more toward driving the Volvo ALL THE TIME! The only issue I had was the radiator modulator going bad, which ran me about 575 dollars and only because my friend is a mechanic! Volvo would have easily been a 1000 plus job! But you know the parts are pricey, find a trusting local guy or do the regular maintenence yourself, it pays! That said I commute just shy of 90 miles a day and this car runs so smooth it is a pure joy. Also good on gas!

Do people even know how to maintain a vehicle anymore, love my volvo
By derove on 06/26/12 21:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

so i bought my volvo new in 2001 and i am currently at 400,000 miles, what did i do, i changed the oil every 4k miles, changed the timing belt every 105k miles, i did have to fix the gas gauge cause the bobber in the fuel tank was stuck, and let me think what else oh i needed to put a new cd player in it bought it a stock one from ebay for 50 bucks, people are just stupid you cant just drive a car and expect it to last without normal matanice, you guys complain ill be back when mine reaches a million miles and thats my word.

Junk After 120K miles
By jmg1977 on 06/26/11 18:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is a Volvo, right? It is actually my 4th. And my last. Too bad for what used to be a great Swedish product, but not anymore! Nice styling, great handling on the interstate and sips gas. All ok until about 120K miles. Then literally every electronic and fuel injection component, even the seatbelts started to malfunction. Thousands of dollars. Not the typical older car reliability failures and certainly Bosch doesn't make anything reasonably priced for replacement parts. My next car will be American or Japanese. Not as unreliable or expensive to fix.

Most expensive car I have ever owned
By Barney on 08/26/10 10:16 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Front end is weak. Constantly requires repair and replacement of tie- rod-ends, ball joints, constant velocity boots, etc. You name it, it's been replaced, multiple times. Power window motors, go through them like candy. Transmission was replaced with 1 mile left in warranty. Transmission is going again but it lasted 150,000 miles. Rattles, boy does it ever. But, it hasn't rusted out and the engine is still strong after 188,000 miles. Again, I cannot tell you how much this thing has cost to maintain but it's got to be close to the purchase price. Most comfortable seats of any vehicle I have owned.

8th volvo and last volvo, sadly.
By gav on 01/10/10 18:43 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The cup holders are handy whilst waiting for the tow truck! Gearbox has new surprises every time you drive it. ETM is an affront to our collective dignity, electrics are poor, fuel system must have been designed at Lada by the accounts lady after a bit night on the Stolle! Maintenance costs are quite severe and plentiful. After 7 previous volvos all with outstanding reliability, function and longevity it saddens me that a company could transmogrify into producing such a failure of a vehicle. When not being repaired or diagnosed, it's fast and safe with ample room and functionality, but it now drains my wallet, energy and faith in what i considered to be the best manufactured vehicles ever.

I love this car!
By Annie on 12/30/09 17:26 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Presently at 93,000 miles. Yes I have had the odd quirky issue, but the only major item was a radiator replacement. Transmission has been fine and 'baby' runs quite well. I use my wagon to transport mulch, stone, plants in the summer and she's always been a jewel. I love this wagon and plan on keeping for a very very long time.

good car
By john on 12/22/09 05:08 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought used in Sept 2008 with 27000 miles, now is 37000. I change the oil and maintain myself. Fairly easy to work on, best to have code reader, but have not needed yet. Light bulbs here and there needing replacement, pretty easy to do. Japanese Aisen Warner transmission requires special mobil synthetic oil and dipstick should be checked regularly, it is in an awkward location, way low on drivers side. Only use Full synthetic oils, including brake fluid. If you do I would expect 200000 miles of good value, as our 25 year old volvo 240s. We love this car. Have not added any as trans. fluid is pink. Very good highway car.

good safe car
By blackie on 11/25/09 05:06 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We have owned Volvo 240s since 1991 when I decided Honda Civics were not safe enough. My reasoning came from the junk yard. I would look at the cars there and ask did the occupants become seriously injured or possibly killed? When I looked at Volvo's, the answer was no. Along comes 2008, we decide to modernize, we buy a new Nissan Versa sedan, side airbags, front airbags, the works. My wife was rear ended while she was 15mph, the other driver 50mph, both the other drivers Nissan Sentra and my wifes's car totaled by the insurance companies. both parties injured moderately. Versa did ok but if she had been in the V70 I believe she would have been injured little, if at all. Volvo for life!

My First and Last Volvo
By volvo_disappointment on 10/31/09 11:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

When I was looking for a car, I had four criteria: safety, reliability, longevity, and environmental impact. Volvo rated well in all categories. This car has been nothing but a disappointment and money pit. Just a short list of previous problems: throttle module, fan, fuel system. Now, the heating is out and the transmission needs to be replaced, to the tune of $5K. I can't tell you how disappointed I am. The car was great to drive for the first two years, and then it seemed to fall apart in spite of being well cared for. I resent Volvo. (Thanks, Ford.) By contrast, my 2002 VW has more miles on it and has required no repairs, just maintenance. It's VW for me from now on.