Used 2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Wagon Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

So many problems
By Chris Wade

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car looks amazing and is a very safe family car. The interior is beautiful and well set up. I did find that some plastic parts broke pretty easily though. I bought this car when it was about six years old. I put very few miles on it but spent a lot of money on repairs. Such a sad car to own especially after years of having great Volvos (1965 122s, 1978 240 wagon)

The throttle body is a huge issue that costs about $2500 and caused it to intermittently stall.

The heater core leaked due to being a mix of aluminum and plastic. $900

Front suspension was weak, had to replace both A arms

The worst flaw was the transmission. Went out just over 100K and was almost $7000 to repair. At the cost of this I opted to send it to the scrap yard. Car looked great but the repair was more than it was worth. 2001 was known for transmission trouble, this was a lemon year.

Transmission Totally Messed Up
By Maria

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car a few years ago used, and no less than 10 hours of driving time later the transmission started to get jerky. The car has limped along, with us babying it, but the transmission always gets jerky after 15 minutes of city driving or on hot days. It's been a constant source of stress for us. If you get this year, just get a manual and save yourself the trouble! Glad to finally be getting rid of it-- hopefully our next choice will be a wiser one.

2001 volvov70 cc. Too many problems
By Unhappy Volvo

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Electrical problems. Sunroof opens won't close. Throttle body went out. Pcv system is bad. Bought at 135k miles car has 146k has depreciated by 60% and the problems continue. Stay away from these cars. B

Uneven Likeability
By sbe79

I have V70 T5 model.
It has 147K on it.
I have to say that I really, really like the car.
I just don't enjoy the difficulties that come along with it.

It drives, mostly, great.
I like the way it handles.
It may be a station wagon, but it's still an interesting car.
The leather interior is miles better than Volvo was using in the 90s.

However, the transmission had to be rebuilt before I even got it off the used dealership lot.
One year later, it struggles to go from 1st to 2nd gear in the morning.
The driver's side control panel on the door works infrequently (so most of the time, my window won't go down and I can't lock the doors remotely).
Mechanic can't find the issue.

Good handling. Good overall layout. Great amount of space in a nice-looking car that aesthetically holds up after 12 years. Fun to drive. It fits me, my wife, our 2 teenage boys and a carseat for our toddler nicely.

The transmissions in these are crap. Electrically, it's a bit iffy. The door panel is one thing. The car does this weird thing also when it's off and sitting in the driveway -- the fan will turn on and air will blow out the inside vents. For no apparent reason. It also makes a noise inside the dashboard when you first open the driver's door. Kind of sounds like a CD changer switching CDs, except my CD changer is in the trunk not the dash. It makes the noise and then winds down like it has a dying battery inside until it just stops. I suppose a lot of the other stuff is basic wear and tear, I just wish the electrical aspect wasn't so wonky. It would be pricey to fix it all.

AS EXPECTED AND BETTER!
By mrsimpson

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

First, after much review perhaps the XC models have far more problems than the 2.4T V70.
I am at 124,000 and this car is the most comfortable, reliable and all around best car to drive. I also own a 2008 Audi A4, and although the Audi is the prize, I lean more toward driving the Volvo ALL THE TIME! The only issue I had was the radiator modulator going bad, which ran me about 575 dollars and only because my friend is a mechanic! Volvo would have easily been a 1000 plus job! But you know the parts are pricey, find a trusting local guy or do the regular maintenence yourself, it pays!
That said I commute just shy of 90 miles a day and this car runs so smooth it is a pure joy. Also good on gas!

Favorites are the heated seats in winter, ice cold A/C in summer, SMOOTHE RIDE!, Fuel economy for a wagon is excellent, the POWER of the turbo is fantastic also, you will move when you want to and no one will even suspect it out of this somewhat unaspicious, less assuming beauty. Safety is also great, take a look behind you when you drive the wagon and you will realize, if one day some genius is texting or drunk driving and rams you from behind (enter joke here) then you will be more likely to be aok. The storage is better than most SUVs also!

Heat controls get funny, you have to adjust (this is a common flaw) but once you get it down, it becomes a part of this cars character strangely enough.