2001 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
volvo 2001
By alex on 07/04/10 03:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought a Volvo when my wife told me she was pregnant for a 3 rd time, 3 kids I tough Volvo would deliver. Transmission problem than the heater radiator broke got it change now it stinks like hell when I put the heat on and it leaks oil too bad because it is comfortable and nice but I don't know if I'm going to keep it now I have a message that says check brake lights I look at them and they don't work so I change the bulbs and still don't work what should I do?

Great car until you hit 100K
By johng on 05/15/10 04:36 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is my third Volvo. I loved it for the first 100K miles or so. After that, the thing starts to get really expensive to own. It seems like every electrical, fuel injection, and exhaust system has gone bad. New alternator, catalytic converter, several sensors, computer. Not the reliability of the first two cars. BTW, Bosch doesn't make anything that costs less than 200 dollars. If you plan to keep this car or buy a high mileage Volvo, make sure you have the money in the bank to fix it! Also, the leather they used in this thing looks like crap after about 75K of normal use.

Excellent Car!!! Safety First!
By Volvo V70 -Excellent on 01/30/10 16:28 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I am surprised at reading some negative reviews. My Volvo has been great without any of the problems mentioned. Its great on gas mileage, has a reliable engine and transmission and most importantly it is safe for my kids. We have made long trips and our Volvo has been a delight. Volvo forever!

Transmission Troubles
By Julie on 05/27/09 08:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I love the car but am very disappointed that after only 85k we are getting rid of it quickly due to alleged transmission problems and fuel pump problems. This car has been babied - all services, all maintenance, all done at the dealership. We just cannot justify a new transmission at a cost of over $4k. I really thought the volvo brand would take me much farther than 100k miles. I hate that we are in such a disposable society that we sacrifice quality for profitability. Volvo will not get any more of my money.

Trannie is a mess!
By MaPage on 10/21/08 20:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I too have had transmission issues. I never thought it was right from the beginning. Bought it used off lease with 65K. Motor mount issues, bad radio, cruise control problems, at 130,00 the transmisson is a mess, two motor mounts shot and with a 30K tune up and new tires needed I'm folding! This is my 5th and last Volvo. Ford really screwed these cars up! I'm buying a Saab. My son's is 13 yrs old and handles better than my Volvo. Too bad I was a huge fan and loved my old cars. This one too but can't afford it!

2001 V70 Wagon
By Dave on 06/14/08 10:39 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My vehicle has the standard five cyl. non turbo engine. I purchased the car new. I really like this car. It is stylish, it's been reliable, and it gets good gas economy for its size. It runs very well on mid-grad gasoline, runs very smoothly on premium, and runs OK on regular (no pinging, but much less zip). The car is heavy, so acceleration is not the best but is adequate. Get the turbo if you want to take off in a hurry. My biggest complaint is the lack of Volvo dealers available to service the car. Also,there are some high tech features that become expensive to fix. Even small items are expensive as the parts sources are limited, making trim and accessories expensive.

Quirky transmission
By Ted on 11/28/07 16:30 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

We have owned the vehicle for about 10 months (15k miles)and the only money we spent was on front end work which is typical for this car for 100k. Every once in a while when we step on the gas pedal the RPMS jump from about 2000 to 4-5000 (30-40mph). We have the latest software updates and the Volvo mechanic could not find anything wrong. Does anybody have this problem and what did you find out about it? Overall, a good vehicle. Thanks.

Great Family Car
By tracprod on 05/05/07 12:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Wouldn't recommend this non-turbo version. It is underpowered if you do a lot of travelling. Good city/short mileage car. Solid, no problems. Most room for a wagon you'll find.

Our V70 saved my husband's life
By mandagabby on 04/17/07 12:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My husband totaled our V70 last week. He hit an interstate wall at 70 mph after being clipped by a tractor trailer. He was rushed to the hospital but walked away five hours later with a bad seat belt bruise and a cut from his sunglasses. The car did not survive and I've already bought a new Volvo to replace it. We bought this car at 5 yo and 65000 miles. Got a great deal, local family had all the service records. Besides being in the lightbulb of the month club, there was one issue with the throttle module that was replaced under warranty and never acted up again. We had the car for 12000 miles and only had to change the oil changed and replace two light bulbs. Man, do I miss that car!

Best car yet
By Todd on 07/03/05 17:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Excellent service at the dealor. Car is the best car I've owned so far! Fun driving, reliable, safe and sharp looking.