Used 2000 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Love this car.
By queen bee

2000 Volvo V70 Wagon XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This vehicle has saved me several times on slick roads. Snow driving feature is great, as well as AWD. Gets through mud better than a jeep. Done wonderful duty moving back and forth from house to farm and summer home, also moving my father into a retirement home. Carries an enormous amount and the rear door is cut wide and high relative to the roof. And it looks great! It's comfortable to ride in, roomy.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, sunroof, split rear seats that fold down. Snow drive engine control. Rear netting and roof rack. Also have a tow package with hitch, towing small livestock van. Rear windshield wipers.

Suggested Improvements

When rear windows are open, there is tire roar that is annoying.

Disappointed
By Disappointed Owner

2000 Volvo V70 Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

First European Car I have owned after 1 Honda and 3 Nissans. I am back to Japanese after this experience. Car purchased as a one year old car with 13,000 miles. Good safety features, design, and options features have been far outweighted by terrible mechanical failures, all after certified extended waranty expired. Failures included steering, electronic throttle control systems, master brake cylinder, driver's seat belt, front brake rotors, and front passenger electric window switch. Repair costs have exceeded $3,000. I have never owned a car that experienced major failures of critical drive train components. An now the car has several rattles. I would not recommend Volvo to anyone.

Favorite Features

The car is a nice size versus a larger SUV. Roof rack very easy to reach for attaching sports equipment. Comfortably carries a family of four with all gear for beach or skiing.

Suggested Improvements

As I only have 300 characters for this part of the review and I think the car has not at all lived up to its reputation, I would suggest Volvo go back to building a car that's as good as its reputation, because the 2000 Volvo V70 SE has been a major disappointment and I will not buy another Volvo.

Run or you'll be walking
By JTB

2000 Volvo V70 Wagon XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Looks aren't everything, unless you have one; towed 11 times. Axle bearings, transfer case, turbo oil leak 4x, etc. Pricey with high cost to maintain: Tires & brakes ~15k. Stranded my wife and little girl more than once. Not the volvo our parents had, but what do you expect from a company owned by ford? Would not buy another.

Favorite Features

Other than its looks, the for sale sign. The creature comforts are nice.

Suggested Improvements

Use quality components to build a quality car since you pay a premium for both car and service.

no more volvos for me
By mls_intex

2000 Volvo V70 Wagon XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

A friend showed me this site and wow how insightful! Guess I'm not alone with my endless Volvo problems; AC, throttle body control unit (which left my wife stranded), AC again, faulty air flow unit, (that took 4 trips to the dealer to fix) broken, CV joints, strut mounts @ 82k, numerous little things that have broken through normal use; cup holders both front and back, windows controls -every one has gone out -save the drivers unit, the list goes on... It also burns through tires (my wife drives it 80% of the time and she is a conservative driver) going through a set of yokohamas in half the warranted life (60k). I'm told that we are part of the Volvo 200 club -Every visit to the shop =$200!

Favorite Features

The acceleration from 70-90 is excellent for single lane passing. The turbo lag is less noticeable at this speed, and it's also great for climbing in the mountains. Good long distance driving car, comfortable seats. Love the split dog cage/cargo option. The Cage gives the dog space -my lab loves it!

Suggested Improvements

buy another make!

Disappointed
By Louise

2000 Volvo V70 Wagon GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Very disappointed with the reliability of this car. Have owned 4 Honda's - never a problem. Splurged on this used Volvo (same price as a new Accrord). I have had numerous bulbs go out, lic plate still out - too expensive to fix. Throttle body, sensor, trip computer switch, electric window and remote for key. THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS on repairs in one year. Brakes pulsate sometimes when braking and I have had to stand on them twice to stop. SCARY. My next trip to service to deal with. But...I feel safe and that is why I put up with this expense. I commute 60 miles a day down "Blood Alley." It has not left me stranded, I've been able to limp to the shop.

Favorite Features

Trip computer a love. Awesome head rest, so comfortable. The get up and go on my turbo - it moves! Smoothe ride, feels solid.

Suggested Improvements

A lot of wasted space in front under dash area. Hate the cup holders!! Needs to be quieter, can hear the wind. Better communication for tech on reoccuring probelms for easier and cheaper repair!!