2000 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews 4

2000 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
never again
By never again on 02/09/07 10:58 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

We moved to Maine and thought we should have a volvo, Well, since we've owned it I have been stranded twice in BELGRADE LAKES, Maine- essentially in the middle of nowhere. We've had electrical problems, too many tires replaced and lots of little things- the seat adjustment mechanism broke off, the in-dash lighter fell into the center console (so no MP3 hook up for me!), the lights from the radio have gone out and the cup holder broke. So annoying for the money we shelled out. Will never drive a Volvo again. Not worth the price tag.

Worst Car I Ever Had
By bdbest on 12/16/06 18:55 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Not even used cars I ever had gave me the problems this car did. Elegant and fun to drive, all that offset by its unreliability I had to tow it at least Two Dozen times. Its a shame.

Personal Comments
By Keri on 09/07/06 11:26 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 SE 4dr Wagon

Now that the car has reached 100,000 miles, it seems to be having more problems. First, the air conditioning stopped working and now the ETS light is coming on and I'm not sure what the problem is there yet. I haven't been happy with the dealership servicing, as they charge way too much for what they do.

A Mind Blowing Wagon
By Brad on 09/05/06 18:30 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 SE 4dr Wagon

I bought this car used with 89,000 miles on the clock. This car has TOTALLY BLOWN ME AWAY! Probably the best handling wagon I've driven. Gets the same gas mileage as my old 4 cylinder Honda Accord. EXCEPTIONAL power (0-60 under 9 seconds) for a 2.5 litre, non turbo car with automatic. Better yet, it has been TOTALLY reliable in my 30,000 miles of ownership (YES, I drive a LOT :)) My only REAL complaint is the front cupholder that appears to be a toy out of a McDonald's Happy Meal. Also, I will probably go with a Turbo next time around since I do a fair amount of high altitude mountain driving. Although very peppy in normal driving, the engine DOES get short of breath past 4500 ft altitude.

Worst Car I have Ever Owned!!
By Bonnie on 05/26/06 06:13 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 SE 4dr Wagon

This car has been a headache from the get-go. Dealer never fixed the MANY problems the first time in their shop. Had problems w/broken cup holder, electrical problems ALL the time. Had problem starting the car from day one, the dealer never fixed it after many attempts. Tranny clunked down-shifting couldn't fix that either. Rear hatch panel broke off cost $170 to fix a month later it came detached again. GET THIS, THEY TOLD ME I'M SLAMMING IT TOO HARD! Then the ECS light came on and felt as if the car was going to stall. Dealer didn't tell me this was covered under a class action law suit I had to discover this myself. Then they tell me I had to replace $3,000 worth of RULING-OUT parts before

Love this car.
By queen bee on 02/13/06 14:15 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This vehicle has saved me several times on slick roads. Snow driving feature is great, as well as AWD. Gets through mud better than a jeep. Done wonderful duty moving back and forth from house to farm and summer home, also moving my father into a retirement home. Carries an enormous amount and the rear door is cut wide and high relative to the roof. And it looks great! It's comfortable to ride in, roomy.

Disappointed
By Disappointed Owner on 12/27/05 13:50 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 SE 4dr Wagon

First European Car I have owned after 1 Honda and 3 Nissans. I am back to Japanese after this experience. Car purchased as a one year old car with 13,000 miles. Good safety features, design, and options features have been far outweighted by terrible mechanical failures, all after certified extended waranty expired. Failures included steering, electronic throttle control systems, master brake cylinder, driver's seat belt, front brake rotors, and front passenger electric window switch. Repair costs have exceeded $3,000. I have never owned a car that experienced major failures of critical drive train components. An now the car has several rattles. I would not recommend Volvo to anyone.

Run or you'll be walking
By JTB on 06/28/05 22:47 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Looks aren't everything, unless you have one; towed 11 times. Axle bearings, transfer case, turbo oil leak 4x, etc. Pricey with high cost to maintain: Tires & brakes ~15k. Stranded my wife and little girl more than once. Not the volvo our parents had, but what do you expect from a company owned by ford? Would not buy another.

no more volvos for me
By mls_intex on 06/22/05 18:17 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

A friend showed me this site and wow how insightful! Guess I'm not alone with my endless Volvo problems; AC, throttle body control unit (which left my wife stranded), AC again, faulty air flow unit, (that took 4 trips to the dealer to fix) broken, CV joints, strut mounts @ 82k, numerous little things that have broken through normal use; cup holders both front and back, windows controls -every one has gone out -save the drivers unit, the list goes on... It also burns through tires (my wife drives it 80% of the time and she is a conservative driver) going through a set of yokohamas in half the warranted life (60k). I'm told that we are part of the Volvo 200 club -Every visit to the shop =$200!

Disappointed
By Louise on 06/02/05 15:44 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Very disappointed with the reliability of this car. Have owned 4 Honda's - never a problem. Splurged on this used Volvo (same price as a new Accrord). I have had numerous bulbs go out, lic plate still out - too expensive to fix. Throttle body, sensor, trip computer switch, electric window and remote for key. THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS on repairs in one year. Brakes pulsate sometimes when braking and I have had to stand on them twice to stop. SCARY. My next trip to service to deal with. But...I feel safe and that is why I put up with this expense. I commute 60 miles a day down "Blood Alley." It has not left me stranded, I've been able to limp to the shop.