2000 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
2000 v70 awd Volvo
By Andre on 12/13/09 11:30 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

The car is very solid, it is well appointed with heated seats, retractable sun roof, the 2.4l motor has turbo. Overall this was a very good purchase: I travel many highway miles, the car hugs the road, and the turbo makes the fuel economy soar. The maintenance fits into the domestic price league so Costco oil changes & lubes for $35 are perfect choice for budget minded car owners. The awd in the recent snow with all season tires was ample. Overall, a very good car, fun to drive and safe with the kids.

PLEASE DON'T will cost $$$$$$
By topdog on 09/02/09 13:36 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my XC-70 AWD with 98k. I'll start with the good. On paper, this car is great. Plenty of room, very comfortable, power is fine (2.4 turbo). Now the bad. Drive train issues all over the place. Engine light is On/OFF nearly every-other day, angle gear and differential unit both went out (BIG $$$), the AC makes noise on-and-off, the car has a 'rubber type' smell now-and-then. This is my first and LAST Volvo. They are NOT like a Honda or Toyota you can buy w/100k and drive another 100 with regular maintenance. I have a '98 528i BMW 5-speed with 155k that has been great, and 96 Honda w/155k that runs beautifully. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... avoid, unless you are an auto mechanic.

it's a lemon
By drivesmemad on 08/22/09 20:14 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I bought this car used with low miles three years ago. Many problems with brakes and replacing rotors, the interior of the trunk door is falling apart, can't get into the trunk without having to crawl through to the back. Just paid 800. for an ABS module replacement. And very cheap interior plastic pieces, i.e. cup holders...I have one left that works. No leg room in the back...not even for an tiny 8 yr old. The rear view mirror broke off today. Going back to Toyota. I really wanted to be a proud owner. But it's a lemon!

My fourth Volvo
By Marc on 07/26/09 15:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

...and my last; hello Toyota!. This car is a disaster, I had a lot of problems from the start: rear axle fell off, blew 3 injectors, catalytic converter, one headlight does not work anymore, driver door cracks, weak air conditioner even after a $2,500 repair, also quite a few false alerts from the check engine light coming on for various defective sensors, and a host of other annoying issues. The Volvo dealers have always this attitude that they are doing you a favor to attend to your car. Also forget about getting an appointment less than a week ahead. The dealer in Hyannis took 3 days to replace one injector (no courtesy car)..

disappointed
By noluck on 07/25/09 17:09 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car based on safety and, what i thought, was reliability. It had 63,000 miles on it, one owner. Pretty car, nice to drive, when it ran. The car was in the shop every month. Nothing was less than 1,000 to fix. The ETS was recalled, car completely lost power on the highway. ABS module went, power windows, wiper motors broke, suspension/shocks needed replacement, 2 starters, brakes, had hatch fixed, gas mileage poor. Overall, I owned it for 3 years and it cost me over $4,000 in repairs. Very disappointed.

money pit of a car
By takenbyvolvo on 06/06/09 20:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought the car and I have put more money into it than what it cost me. I like that it is safe, but I don't like how there are so many problems with it. I will never buy a car from Volvo again, and I am hesitant still on getting a car that is so expensive to repair. Sure it is great in the snow, but that is only like four weeks out of the year that I need it for that. Gas mileage is like a pick up truck and it is so finicky, everything seems to go wrong.

Love my 2000 V70 4 Dr SE Wagon...
By Peatmoss on 05/29/09 10:49 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 SE 4dr Wagon

I bought this wagon 2 years ago with 126,000 miles on it. I'm the 4th owner. As soon as I drove it I liked it. It did have a slight hesitation when accelerating but that turned out to be some sort of air module which was covered by a dealer recall. I got the car back and had the tie rod ends replaced, 4 new tires and an alignment and it runs like a new car... very smooth! I currently have a 177,000 miles and it still runs great! Not sure if it's so reliable because it was built in Belgium (still has the 'Port of Entry' sticker on it). I do mostly highway miles and have consistently averaged 27 - 29 mpg!! My goal is to reach 300,000+ miles!

Still going strong
By matkat on 05/17/09 06:21 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought used at 123k miles and now with 139k, this has been a great car. It is very solid, drives great, and for me has been very reliable. I've spent a total of $155 over the past 15 months on repairs. I would not hesitate to drive this 9 year old car cross country today. We had a snowstorm this year and the car was incredible. High praise from someone who's lived on Rabbit Ears Pass, CO. It was not pampered by the previous owner but the interior still looks almost new. So the complaints about cheap interiors just don't ring true. Its exterior design has held up well and unless you know Volvos it does not look nine. There is no rust, period.

The Bad Reviews are all TRUE!
By Joe on 04/04/09 08:39 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car in January 2009 with just over 100K on it. After disregarding Consumer Reports and many horror stories on this site, I am paying the price now. In just two months, over $2000 put into it, and the check engine light came on couple of days ago, with codes for an oxygen sensor and catalytic converter. The interior is cheap and noisy, crazy squeaks and rattles. Alternator died, leaving me stranded on the highway. $700 to fix. Vibration in the engine, drivetrain issue the mechanic says. Stay away from the '98-'00 XC, great look and feel, but 90% chance it will cost you a boatload to keep running. I was hoping to be that 1 out of 10, but no such luck.

Few comments about the v70 xc awd
By Bongo on 03/22/09 18:01 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Luv the car. Snapped it up from a private seller. Few comments: Good: great get up and go with the turbo, cozy seats, great paint, durable car. The car growls with the reminder of "I am a 2.5L Turbo but i want to sound like a 5.5L... so shove off"! Bad: check for rust on the interior side of the retractable sun roof (bad design), somewhat of a strange leak.. oil? antifreeze? turbo? (oh oh),.