Used 2000 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Don't buy unless you are very wealthy
By Karen Ball

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car after totaling my 99 Subaru Forester. Huge mistake. Impulsive buy because I had no car for 2 months trying to find a subaru. Finally bought this piece of garbage. It is in the shop every month for something. Check engine lite is permanently on because there is always something about to die and they do like to give you fair warning. I am so disappointed in the price and frequency of repairs for this car. I don't trust it to start or keep going once it has. O2 sensor, catalytic converter, all belts, oil shield, tires, battery, you name it and I have replaced it.

All types of bells an whistles, very solid ride, love the heated seats and the leather. Love the interior. Turbo is cool. No rust yet.

Cupholder, they are pathetic. Won't really hold 2 cups, in fact barely hold one securely. Reliability. Volvo is supposed to be the best. Uh, not so much. Next car will be a Subaru or I'll ride my bike!

Great used car.
By cat5fred

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Bought this car used with 113k miles in 2006. Soon after purchasing the check engine light came up, we had it fixed ($700) and ran without problems for about 3 years. In the meantime, we went places, off-road, from TN to FL, etc. Very reliable car, seats are the best in the industry. Cargo space adequate. Even today (10/16/2010) it provides a very smooth ride. The service light is back on, but the codes returned are safe to ignore (fuel condenser system, est. repair cost 2k). Great, dependable car, electrical system, specially the A/C, warning lights could have been designed better.

The ride and the mileage. Dependability of the car, you turn ignition it runs 150% of the time, never left us stranded on the road. Well built car.

Electrical system, put a more powerful air conditioning system. Not every place on earth has cool climate like Sweden. Cup holders are a joke. Rear door could be built a little sturdier.

Great experience with 2000 V70 XC
By Banjo

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Few things to mention. Owned it for 24 months, found that a 10 year old Volvo is like a 3 year old domestic. When I buy used I take the following precautions: 1. replaced the oil every 3 months, regardless; air filter every year. 2. always replace the thermostat, battery, and change your antifreeze 3. drive it like its age. this turbo can toss your head back but it is aging. so why f&k with the tranny and engine, capisce? 4. keep her clean, wash it. 5. check engine and other lights are overrated, look into the real problem using a 'european' mechanic. Domestic tech kids should remain in their toyRus sandbox. Volvos and Subarus are easy to fix but use a 'pro'fessional. 6. Read the manual. Ciao

Solid car. Safe car. Reliable. Fuel efficient with turbo. Spacious and excellent suspension for hauling gear in difficult rural areas. Easy to service (opens like a oyster but learn to read a Chilton manual) Love the sunroof Great air circulation Excellent anti-paint chip design. Nice for long legs

Better windshield quality. Should include Torque set as part of service tools

Buying new car one part at a time
By Christopher Hanks

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Paid 5K$ for a V70 XC AWD Turbo with 95,420 miles plus 2K$ trade in. Biggest problem was failing Electronic Throttle Montrol (ETM) causing car to stumble and hesitate intermittently. Solution was to replace ETM with rebuilt/re-designed (non-mechanical) ETM for $689 plus $196 labor for installation. In first year have also had to replace serpentine belt, AC evaporator core, rack and pinion power steering assembly, catalytic converter, timing belt, engine mounts and rear stabilizer assembly - totaling another $8800 in parts and labor. Runs well now - hoping for another 100K mi

turbo power when needed, leather heated seats, sound system, look of car

Don't buy a used one unless all of the abve has been done - and then expect to spend $14K...

Get ready to shell out a lot of dough!
By Hutch3535

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I always wanted a Volvo wagon ever since I was a kid, so I was thrilled when I got my 2000 Volvo (used). Since purchasing the car in 2004, I have easily put in $12,000+ on major items: AWD system, new radiator, rebuilt transmission, etc. While I love this car when it's working - it's powerful and feels safe - I dread when the engine light goes on (which is quite often). Just found out I need a new catalytic converter and two O2 sensor - another $1700 repair. This time, I'm trading it in - I just can't see putting any more money into this car! I will NEVER EVER purchase another European car again...I'm going with Subaru for my next station wagon. I can see from this site many others agree!

Love the way it looks and its powerful engine. I feel safe when I drive.

Yes - emulate the Japanese cars so you don't find yourself in the shop with major repairs several times a year.

• SUV