Used 2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Don't buy unless you are very wealthy
By Karen Ball

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car after totaling my 99 Subaru Forester. Huge mistake. Impulsive buy because I had no car for 2 months trying to find a subaru. Finally bought this piece of garbage. It is in the shop every month for something. Check engine lite is permanently on because there is always something about to die and they do like to give you fair warning. I am so disappointed in the price and frequency of repairs for this car. I don't trust it to start or keep going once it has. O2 sensor, catalytic converter, all belts, oil shield, tires, battery, you name it and I have replaced it.

All types of bells an whistles, very solid ride, love the heated seats and the leather. Love the interior. Turbo is cool. No rust yet.

Cupholder, they are pathetic. Won't really hold 2 cups, in fact barely hold one securely. Reliability. Volvo is supposed to be the best. Uh, not so much. Next car will be a Subaru or I'll ride my bike!

Great experience with 2000 V70 XC
By Banjo

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Few things to mention. Owned it for 24 months, found that a 10 year old Volvo is like a 3 year old domestic. When I buy used I take the following precautions:
1. replaced the oil every 3 months, regardless; air filter every year.
2. always replace the thermostat, battery, and change your antifreeze
3. drive it like its age. this turbo can toss your head back but it is aging. so why f&k with the tranny and engine, capisce?
4. keep her clean, wash it.
5. check engine and other lights are overrated, look into the real problem using a 'european' mechanic. Domestic tech kids should remain in their toyRus sandbox. Volvos and Subarus are easy to fix but use a 'pro'fessional.
6. Read the manual.
Ciao

Solid car. Safe car. Reliable. Fuel efficient with turbo. Spacious and excellent suspension for hauling gear in difficult rural areas. Easy to service (opens like a oyster but learn to read a Chilton manual) Love the sunroof Great air circulation Excellent anti-paint chip design. Nice for long legs

Better windshield quality. Should include Torque set as part of service tools

PLEASE DON'T will cost $$$$$$
By topdog

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my XC-70 AWD with 98k. I'll start with the good. On paper, this car is great. Plenty of room, very comfortable, power is fine (2.4 turbo). Now the bad. Drive train issues all over the place. Engine light is On/OFF nearly every-other day, angle gear and differential unit both went out (BIG $$$), the AC makes noise on-and-off, the car has a 'rubber type' smell now-and-then. This is my first and LAST Volvo. They are NOT like a Honda or Toyota you can buy w/100k and drive another 100 with regular maintenance. I have a '98 528i BMW 5-speed with 155k that has been great, and 96 Honda w/155k that runs beautifully. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... avoid, unless you are an auto mechanic.

money pit of a car
By takenbyvolvo

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought the car and I have put more money into it than what it cost me. I like that it is safe, but I don't like how there are so many problems with it. I will never buy a car from Volvo again, and I am hesitant still on getting a car that is so expensive to repair. Sure it is great in the snow, but that is only like four weeks out of the year that I need it for that. Gas mileage is like a pick up truck and it is so finicky, everything seems to go wrong.

AWD is awesome, modestly comfortable.

Most unreliable car I have ever driven. Money down the drain. Sluggish, awkward drive. Makes me nervous to drive. Don't buy one!

Still going strong
By matkat

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought used at 123k miles and now with 139k, this has been a great car. It is very solid, drives great, and for me has been very reliable. I've spent a total of $155 over the past 15 months on repairs. I would not hesitate to drive this 9 year old car cross country today. We had a snowstorm this year and the car was incredible. High praise from someone who's lived on Rabbit Ears Pass, CO. It was not pampered by the previous owner but the interior still looks almost new. So the complaints about cheap interiors just don't ring true. Its exterior design has held up well and unless you know Volvos it does not look nine. There is no rust, period.

AWD, comfort, seats (very comfortable), good mileage (28-32 highway), and plenty of passing power due to the turbo. Safety features.

Takes a special wrench to change the oil filter.