Used 2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

XC SE Wagon (2.4L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 4-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Don't buy unless you are very wealthy
By Karen Ball on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car after totaling my 99 Subaru Forester. Huge mistake. Impulsive buy because I had no car for 2 months trying to find a subaru. Finally bought this piece of garbage. It is in the shop every month for something. Check engine lite is permanently on because there is always something about to die and they do like to give you fair warning. I am so disappointed in the price and frequency of repairs for this car. I don't trust it to start or keep going once it has. O2 sensor, catalytic converter, all belts, oil shield, tires, battery, you name it and I have replaced it.

Great experience with 2000 V70 XC
By Banjo on 05/31/10 14:22 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Few things to mention. Owned it for 24 months, found that a 10 year old Volvo is like a 3 year old domestic. When I buy used I take the following precautions: 1. replaced the oil every 3 months, regardless; air filter every year. 2. always replace the thermostat, battery, and change your antifreeze 3. drive it like its age. this turbo can toss your head back but it is aging. so why f&k with the tranny and engine, capisce? 4. keep her clean, wash it. 5. check engine and other lights are overrated, look into the real problem using a 'european' mechanic. Domestic tech kids should remain in their toyRus sandbox. Volvos and Subarus are easy to fix but use a 'pro'fessional. 6. Read the manual. Ciao

PLEASE DON'T will cost $$$$$$
By topdog on 09/02/09 13:36 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my XC-70 AWD with 98k. I'll start with the good. On paper, this car is great. Plenty of room, very comfortable, power is fine (2.4 turbo). Now the bad. Drive train issues all over the place. Engine light is On/OFF nearly every-other day, angle gear and differential unit both went out (BIG $$$), the AC makes noise on-and-off, the car has a 'rubber type' smell now-and-then. This is my first and LAST Volvo. They are NOT like a Honda or Toyota you can buy w/100k and drive another 100 with regular maintenance. I have a '98 528i BMW 5-speed with 155k that has been great, and 96 Honda w/155k that runs beautifully. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... avoid, unless you are an auto mechanic.

money pit of a car
By takenbyvolvo on 06/06/09 20:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought the car and I have put more money into it than what it cost me. I like that it is safe, but I don't like how there are so many problems with it. I will never buy a car from Volvo again, and I am hesitant still on getting a car that is so expensive to repair. Sure it is great in the snow, but that is only like four weeks out of the year that I need it for that. Gas mileage is like a pick up truck and it is so finicky, everything seems to go wrong.

Still going strong
By matkat on 05/17/09 06:21 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought used at 123k miles and now with 139k, this has been a great car. It is very solid, drives great, and for me has been very reliable. I've spent a total of $155 over the past 15 months on repairs. I would not hesitate to drive this 9 year old car cross country today. We had a snowstorm this year and the car was incredible. High praise from someone who's lived on Rabbit Ears Pass, CO. It was not pampered by the previous owner but the interior still looks almost new. So the complaints about cheap interiors just don't ring true. Its exterior design has held up well and unless you know Volvos it does not look nine. There is no rust, period.

Few comments about the v70 xc awd
By Bongo on 03/22/09 18:01 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Luv the car. Snapped it up from a private seller. Few comments: Good: great get up and go with the turbo, cozy seats, great paint, durable car. The car growls with the reminder of "I am a 2.5L Turbo but i want to sound like a 5.5L... so shove off"! Bad: check for rust on the interior side of the retractable sun roof (bad design), somewhat of a strange leak.. oil? antifreeze? turbo? (oh oh),.

Money pit
By depressed on 02/19/09 13:40 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this car 3 months ago and it's already in the shop with a blown head gasket (the major problem) and a leaking AWD box, total cost to get our car back is $3,100.00 if they don't find anything else wrong. None of the local import mehcanics could fix the head gasket so we had to have it towed to the nearest Volvo dealership 90 miles away. As soon as we get the car back it's getting traded in. Apparently when they get near 100,000 they are no longer dependable and I've been told to expect between 1,500.00 and 2,500.00 for every repair. It's not worth it. Our passenger side window doesn't work either.

Great snow car, solid, fairly reliable
By Seattle Driver on 02/02/09 12:22 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought my car about 4 months ago. Had an ABS issue which dealer replaced ($1,600), shortly after that, Catalytic converter went out ($1,300), haven't fixed yet since it isn't a major issue. Car is GREAT in the snow, TONS of room, peppy, comfortable, etc. Would have liked some of these issues NOT to have happened but with the handling of the AWD in the snow, rain, etc., and the safety features, this car is great!

Disappointed with 2000 V70XC SE
By Jarod Focha on 12/21/08 14:01 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this vehicle when my wife and I decided to have kids for safety reasons. I bought it with only 42K on it. Dealership had just gone through it and I have the $2K receipt to prove it. Immediately I had problems with the front axle. My mechanic was able to get Volvo to pick up the $2K bill. When the vehicle hit 75K miles the car began falling apart. Turbo went out $2.5K. Car never drove the same after changing it out at the dealership. Shudders, runs rough. 2 months later the fuel pump went out another $2K. 1 month the axle and AWD need repair another $1K. When it goes it goes and nothing is cheap. Not your ideal vehicle if you cannot afford expensive, frequent repairs.

Dogs love their Volvo
By aman 4allseasons on 11/04/08 09:52 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had my Volvo for three years now and have enjoyed it. Mine is the Cross County which means it has the turbo engine; unfortunately the turbo Cross Country is not available anymore. Those extra ponies is great when you need to pass someone. I really like the cargo net that is built into the rear seats as it keeps the dogs out of the passenger area, most of the time. Except when my Australian Shepard got around it and ate a whole plate of macaroni & cheese. My Volvo has a load leveling system in the rear suspension which is really nice. Handles great on turns Dislikes: cup holder, which does look like it did come from a Happy Meal. 1 variable wiper