Used 2000 Volvo V70 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Car has grown on me
By dadinkc

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

After my wife got a new car, after much deliberation, I decided to sell my 5-series BMW and take her hand-me-down 2000 Volvo wagon. At the time, the decision was driven a practical one - less expensive to own and maintain, more room for a family of 4 and performance in the snow. 2 years later, I couldn't be happier with the decision. It has been reliable and everything I need in a vehicle with the exception of looking cool. Fortunately, I'm way past worrying about looking cool.

Favorite Features

Reliable, sufficient space for a family of 4, impressive acceleration and fuel economy for a wagon, performance in winter and comfortable interior.

Safety, Reliability, and Quality - V70 2WD
By michivolvo

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

2000 V70 Wagon. 180,000 miles. The Volvo safety features are its trademark. I never felt uneasy about my family being on the road with any Volvo we've owned. Our non-turbo is no hot-rod, so that reduces some of the parental "worry factor". Besides regular maintenance, most repairs are what one might expect - tie rod ends, brakes, the odd sensor. There's been a surprise or two, but few. Our mechanic says, "These things go forever". It runs like a top. No leaks, no oil burning. Just a solid car, with nice appointments. The build quality is great. 12 salty Michigan winters and no rust, at all. It's no four-wheel drive, but it gets through Michigan winters, just fine.

Favorite Features

Heated seats. Good mileage. Inherent safety features. Interior layout is good, without too many frills.

Great used car.
By cat5fred

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Bought this car used with 113k miles in 2006. Soon after purchasing the check engine light came up, we had it fixed ($700) and ran without problems for about 3 years. In the meantime, we went places, off-road, from TN to FL, etc. Very reliable car, seats are the best in the industry. Cargo space adequate. Even today (10/16/2010) it provides a very smooth ride. The service light is back on, but the codes returned are safe to ignore (fuel condenser system, est. repair cost 2k). Great, dependable car, electrical system, specially the A/C, warning lights could have been designed better.

Favorite Features

The ride and the mileage. Dependability of the car, you turn ignition it runs 150% of the time, never left us stranded on the road. Well built car.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical system, put a more powerful air conditioning system. Not every place on earth has cool climate like Sweden. Cup holders are a joke. Rear door could be built a little sturdier.

Sad to say goodbye. Hello newer V70.
By abigdor

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Owned 7 years starting at 90000 miles used and ending at 140000 when struck in rear. Never broke down. Only significant repairs: brakes, timing belt, tires. Nothing but normal wear. Great handling, performance. Good to better economy. Safety: rear-end crash proved car's value. Sadly, declared total by ins. co. Paint still great. Glass great. Interior somewhat dirty from heavy child use. Total net expenses less than $10000 for 50000 miles (20cents/mi): best I've had in many years. Have already purchased another V70 (2003) to replace it. Could not imagine what other car even to consider.

Favorite Features

Safety, looks, performance, economy, reliability, cargo room, solid feel of ride, tight turning radius. Bulbs cheap and easy to replace. Seat comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Radio/cassette had small issues. Cup holders terrible. Rear hatch clips broke several times. Seat belt retractor weak, buckle caught in door many times. Move emergency flasher button away from shifter.

it's a lemon
By drivesmemad

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I bought this car used with low miles three years ago. Many problems with brakes and replacing rotors, the interior of the trunk door is falling apart, can't get into the trunk without having to crawl through to the back. Just paid 800. for an ABS module replacement. And very cheap interior plastic pieces, i.e. cup holders...I have one left that works. No leg room in the back...not even for an tiny 8 yr old. The rear view mirror broke off today. Going back to Toyota. I really wanted to be a proud owner. But it's a lemon!

Favorite Features

comfy seats, good sound system, drives well when all is fixed, for about 3 months.

Suggested Improvements

for the money...they should design a better cup holder. The interior is falling apart because the parts are cheaply made. The ABS module seems like a common problem.