2000 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Car has grown on me
By dadinkc on 03/02/13 08:40 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

After my wife got a new car, after much deliberation, I decided to sell my 5-series BMW and take her hand-me-down 2000 Volvo wagon. At the time, the decision was driven a practical one - less expensive to own and maintain, more room for a family of 4 and performance in the snow. 2 years later, I couldn't be happier with the decision. It has been reliable and everything I need in a vehicle with the exception of looking cool. Fortunately, I'm way past worrying about looking cool.

Safety, Reliability, and Quality - V70 2WD
By michivolvo on 04/20/12 06:44 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

2000 V70 Wagon. 180,000 miles. The Volvo safety features are its trademark. I never felt uneasy about my family being on the road with any Volvo we've owned. Our non-turbo is no hot-rod, so that reduces some of the parental "worry factor". Besides regular maintenance, most repairs are what one might expect - tie rod ends, brakes, the odd sensor. There's been a surprise or two, but few. Our mechanic says, "These things go forever". It runs like a top. No leaks, no oil burning. Just a solid car, with nice appointments. The build quality is great. 12 salty Michigan winters and no rust, at all. It's no four-wheel drive, but it gets through Michigan winters, just fine.

Great used car.
By cat5fred on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Bought this car used with 113k miles in 2006. Soon after purchasing the check engine light came up, we had it fixed ($700) and ran without problems for about 3 years. In the meantime, we went places, off-road, from TN to FL, etc. Very reliable car, seats are the best in the industry. Cargo space adequate. Even today (10/16/2010) it provides a very smooth ride. The service light is back on, but the codes returned are safe to ignore (fuel condenser system, est. repair cost 2k). Great, dependable car, electrical system, specially the A/C, warning lights could have been designed better.

Sad to say goodbye. Hello newer V70.
By abigdor on 01/11/10 19:43 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Owned 7 years starting at 90000 miles used and ending at 140000 when struck in rear. Never broke down. Only significant repairs: brakes, timing belt, tires. Nothing but normal wear. Great handling, performance. Good to better economy. Safety: rear-end crash proved car's value. Sadly, declared total by ins. co. Paint still great. Glass great. Interior somewhat dirty from heavy child use. Total net expenses less than $10000 for 50000 miles (20cents/mi): best I've had in many years. Have already purchased another V70 (2003) to replace it. Could not imagine what other car even to consider.

it's a lemon
By drivesmemad on 08/22/09 20:14 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I bought this car used with low miles three years ago. Many problems with brakes and replacing rotors, the interior of the trunk door is falling apart, can't get into the trunk without having to crawl through to the back. Just paid 800. for an ABS module replacement. And very cheap interior plastic pieces, i.e. cup holders...I have one left that works. No leg room in the back...not even for an tiny 8 yr old. The rear view mirror broke off today. Going back to Toyota. I really wanted to be a proud owner. But it's a lemon!

Great Wagon
By Mr Mom on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

The sport wagon title has certainly lived up to its name. Very solid feel and the 5 cylinder motor sings like a sewing machine with plenty of power.

Solid security, bad seats, headrests
By Viola on 12/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Okay, so I opted for the most incredibly safe car for my family. Miami has the worst drivers so there was no option in my mind. On the other hand,I must put up with that ridiculously redesigned solid headrest that juts my head and neck forward. I have had to build up the seat with pillows and supports just to NOT go the the physical therapist! The sound system is minimal but I can hum a happy tune whenever I am thankful after viewing or being in an accident.

transmission klunks
By volvodriver on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

the automatic shift in my car performs poorly. shifting between 2 and 3 cause a klunking sound and creates a kick as the transmission engages into next gear. Volvo has said they don't see any problem, and are unable to re-create it.

Comfort Mobile
By Nel on 08/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

The only car I have ever driven that makes my back feel better instead of worse. Just love it.