2000 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Car has grown on me
By dadinkc on 03/02/13 08:40 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

After my wife got a new car, after much deliberation, I decided to sell my 5-series BMW and take her hand-me-down 2000 Volvo wagon. At the time, the decision was driven a practical one - less expensive to own and maintain, more room for a family of 4 and performance in the snow. 2 years later, I couldn't be happier with the decision. It has been reliable and everything I need in a vehicle with the exception of looking cool. Fortunately, I'm way past worrying about looking cool.

the Swedish icon
By herman_wiegman on 01/09/13 19:03 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 SE 4dr Wagon

Volvo has offered many generations of mid-sized station wagons. Only Subaru has been able to challenge the great value offered by the Swedish marque. The 2000 Volvo V70 wagon was the last year for the P80 chassis and it came with a great 5-cylinder engine in either normally aspirated or turbo format. The SE model was very popular and continues to satisfy many families as it ages gracefully compared with its competition.

Safety, Reliability, and Quality - V70 2WD
By michivolvo on 04/20/12 06:44 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

2000 V70 Wagon. 180,000 miles. The Volvo safety features are its trademark. I never felt uneasy about my family being on the road with any Volvo we've owned. Our non-turbo is no hot-rod, so that reduces some of the parental "worry factor". Besides regular maintenance, most repairs are what one might expect - tie rod ends, brakes, the odd sensor. There's been a surprise or two, but few. Our mechanic says, "These things go forever". It runs like a top. No leaks, no oil burning. Just a solid car, with nice appointments. The build quality is great. 12 salty Michigan winters and no rust, at all. It's no four-wheel drive, but it gets through Michigan winters, just fine.

4 Years - 100,000 miles
By danegirl on 03/01/11 12:21 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car used 10/2006 - 82k on it. Now I'm up to 181,775. Other than faulty trunk latch had no real issues until 2009. Had to replace driveshaft ($750 DIY). Other than eating up tires it really was a good car until no one caught the leak in the transfer case ($1,700 bad mechanic/$780 dealership fixed). ABS went bad but as eariler - Victor Rocha is a GOD! ($125). If you can do some of the work yourself I highly recommend it. The complicated stuff - make sure you KNOW that the mechanic who is working on it can actually fix it properly or just suck it up and go to a dealership. In So. Mich. go with Sesi Volvo. One final word of advices - if you hear a noise DO NOT IGNORE IT!

Don't buy unless you are very wealthy
By Karen Ball on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car after totaling my 99 Subaru Forester. Huge mistake. Impulsive buy because I had no car for 2 months trying to find a subaru. Finally bought this piece of garbage. It is in the shop every month for something. Check engine lite is permanently on because there is always something about to die and they do like to give you fair warning. I am so disappointed in the price and frequency of repairs for this car. I don't trust it to start or keep going once it has. O2 sensor, catalytic converter, all belts, oil shield, tires, battery, you name it and I have replaced it.

Great used car.
By cat5fred on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Bought this car used with 113k miles in 2006. Soon after purchasing the check engine light came up, we had it fixed ($700) and ran without problems for about 3 years. In the meantime, we went places, off-road, from TN to FL, etc. Very reliable car, seats are the best in the industry. Cargo space adequate. Even today (10/16/2010) it provides a very smooth ride. The service light is back on, but the codes returned are safe to ignore (fuel condenser system, est. repair cost 2k). Great, dependable car, electrical system, specially the A/C, warning lights could have been designed better.

Great experience with 2000 V70 XC
By Banjo on 05/31/10 14:22 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Few things to mention. Owned it for 24 months, found that a 10 year old Volvo is like a 3 year old domestic. When I buy used I take the following precautions: 1. replaced the oil every 3 months, regardless; air filter every year. 2. always replace the thermostat, battery, and change your antifreeze 3. drive it like its age. this turbo can toss your head back but it is aging. so why f&k with the tranny and engine, capisce? 4. keep her clean, wash it. 5. check engine and other lights are overrated, look into the real problem using a 'european' mechanic. Domestic tech kids should remain in their toyRus sandbox. Volvos and Subarus are easy to fix but use a 'pro'fessional. 6. Read the manual. Ciao

Buying new car one part at a time
By Christopher Hanks on 04/16/10 09:12 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Paid 5K$ for a V70 XC AWD Turbo with 95,420 miles plus 2K$ trade in. Biggest problem was failing Electronic Throttle Montrol (ETM) causing car to stumble and hesitate intermittently. Solution was to replace ETM with rebuilt/re-designed (non-mechanical) ETM for $689 plus $196 labor for installation. In first year have also had to replace serpentine belt, AC evaporator core, rack and pinion power steering assembly, catalytic converter, timing belt, engine mounts and rear stabilizer assembly - totaling another $8800 in parts and labor. Runs well now - hoping for another 100K mi

Get ready to shell out a lot of dough!
By Hutch3535 on 03/04/10 14:41 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I always wanted a Volvo wagon ever since I was a kid, so I was thrilled when I got my 2000 Volvo (used). Since purchasing the car in 2004, I have easily put in $12,000+ on major items: AWD system, new radiator, rebuilt transmission, etc. While I love this car when it's working - it's powerful and feels safe - I dread when the engine light goes on (which is quite often). Just found out I need a new catalytic converter and two O2 sensor - another $1700 repair. This time, I'm trading it in - I just can't see putting any more money into this car! I will NEVER EVER purchase another European car again...I'm going with Subaru for my next station wagon. I can see from this site many others agree!

Sad to say goodbye. Hello newer V70.
By abigdor on 01/11/10 19:43 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Owned 7 years starting at 90000 miles used and ending at 140000 when struck in rear. Never broke down. Only significant repairs: brakes, timing belt, tires. Nothing but normal wear. Great handling, performance. Good to better economy. Safety: rear-end crash proved car's value. Sadly, declared total by ins. co. Paint still great. Glass great. Interior somewhat dirty from heavy child use. Total net expenses less than $10000 for 50000 miles (20cents/mi): best I've had in many years. Have already purchased another V70 (2003) to replace it. Could not imagine what other car even to consider.