Used 2000 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Car has grown on me
By dadinkc

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

After my wife got a new car, after much deliberation, I decided to sell my 5-series BMW and take her hand-me-down 2000 Volvo wagon. At the time, the decision was driven a practical one - less expensive to own and maintain, more room for a family of 4 and performance in the snow. 2 years later, I couldn't be happier with the decision. It has been reliable and everything I need in a vehicle with the exception of looking cool. Fortunately, I'm way past worrying about looking cool.

Reliable, sufficient space for a family of 4, impressive acceleration and fuel economy for a wagon, performance in winter and comfortable interior.

the Swedish icon
By herman_wiegman

2000 Volvo V70 SE 4dr Wagon

Volvo has offered many generations of mid-sized station wagons. Only Subaru has been able to challenge the great value offered by the Swedish marque. The 2000 Volvo V70 wagon was the last year for the P80 chassis and it came with a great 5-cylinder engine in either normally aspirated or turbo format. The SE model was very popular and continues to satisfy many families as it ages gracefully compared with its competition.

The heated seats and nordic defrosters (on the rear window and rear view mirros) as well as the head light wipers and washer are great features for those in the northern climate. While the 5-speed manual transmission is a rare, but great feature for enthusiast everywhere.

The best way to improve this vehicle is to upgrade to ceramic brake pads and the use of advance lubricants on the brake caliper parts. This extends the life of the otherwise average reliability braking system. One other improvement was addressed in future model years, most notably the AWD system on the XC models was updated and is more capable than the system installed in the earlier (pre 2001) models.

Safety, Reliability, and Quality - V70 2WD
By michivolvo

2000 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

2000 V70 Wagon. 180,000 miles. The Volvo safety features are its trademark. I never felt uneasy about my family being on the road with any Volvo we've owned. Our non-turbo is no hot-rod, so that reduces some of the parental "worry factor". Besides regular maintenance, most repairs are what one might expect - tie rod ends, brakes, the odd sensor. There's been a surprise or two, but few. Our mechanic says, "These things go forever". It runs like a top. No leaks, no oil burning. Just a solid car, with nice appointments. The build quality is great. 12 salty Michigan winters and no rust, at all. It's no four-wheel drive, but it gets through Michigan winters, just fine.

Heated seats. Good mileage. Inherent safety features. Interior layout is good, without too many frills.

4 Years - 100,000 miles
By danegirl

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car used 10/2006 - 82k on it. Now I'm up to 181,775. Other than faulty trunk latch had no real issues until 2009. Had to replace driveshaft ($750 DIY). Other than eating up tires it really was a good car until no one caught the leak in the transfer case ($1,700 bad mechanic/$780 dealership fixed). ABS went bad but as eariler - Victor Rocha is a GOD! ($125). If you can do some of the work yourself I highly recommend it. The complicated stuff - make sure you KNOW that the mechanic who is working on it can actually fix it properly or just suck it up and go to a dealership. In So. Mich. go with Sesi Volvo. One final word of advices - if you hear a noise DO NOT IGNORE IT!

Handling, Turbo, Heated seats, cargo area (great for dogs!), comfy road tripping car with lots of space for stuff along the route. Great for hauling things - pets, kids, straw, wood, fishing gear, livestock (and with a two position cargo net live things stay put! (but if not the seats wipe clean...) Have had a lot of fun in it!

Drive train needs work. Could use better cup holders. Sun roof needs better seals.

Don't buy unless you are very wealthy
By Karen Ball

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car after totaling my 99 Subaru Forester. Huge mistake. Impulsive buy because I had no car for 2 months trying to find a subaru. Finally bought this piece of garbage. It is in the shop every month for something. Check engine lite is permanently on because there is always something about to die and they do like to give you fair warning. I am so disappointed in the price and frequency of repairs for this car. I don't trust it to start or keep going once it has. O2 sensor, catalytic converter, all belts, oil shield, tires, battery, you name it and I have replaced it.

All types of bells an whistles, very solid ride, love the heated seats and the leather. Love the interior. Turbo is cool. No rust yet.

Cupholder, they are pathetic. Won't really hold 2 cups, in fact barely hold one securely. Reliability. Volvo is supposed to be the best. Uh, not so much. Next car will be a Subaru or I'll ride my bike!