Nicest of the 12 cars I've owned
By slvrspcshp on
1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon
My previous car was a 1988 740 GLE. I put 365,000 miles on that, sold it for 700.00, and it is STILL someone's daily driver. The V70 has 186,000 on it, and I've been driving it for 4 years. In that time the only thing I've had to do that wouldn't be considered REGULAR USED CAR UPKEEP is have the throttle body assembly replaced (fully under warranty). I've replaced the plugs, changed the oil regularly, replaced one tie rod, had the brakes done once and fixed one of the fog lights.(NYC driver POTHOLES) I also bought a kit for 13 bucks to secure the inside panel of the tailgate. I love this car, and plan on getting a 2006/2007 model in a couple years, prob my last before having to go electric
Favorite Features
I love station wagons. I hate SUVs. I'm a musician and carry a LOT of heavy stuff, long distances, regularly, as well as around a rough city. That is why I love wagons and that is why I love Volvos. They get the job done, in style, comfort and quiet. When I drive sanely at 65-67 MPH on the highway, I get 31 MPG FOR REAL. My next splurge to make this car last is going to be new shocks and struts.
Suggested Improvements
My suggestion is that Volvo not discontinue the V70 in America. It is an awesome utility and travel car, and I obviously love them. My other suggestion would be to Volvo OWNERS...school yourself on how cars work, what makes a good and bad car, and then go find a reliable INDEPENDENT VOLVO MECHANIC in your area who knows how to keep them running at a reasonable cost. Take a little responsibility for your ride, and you will enjoy it without going broke. Used cars need regular upkeep, but it's still better and cheaper than payments on a chintzy subcompact that hurts to ride in.
By jonnywillco
on 06/03/11 10:29 AM (PDT)

Where'd you get the $13 kit to fix the tailgate? My v70 has the same issue. What's it called?