Used 1999 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Gets out of its own way
By Amy Chalmers

1999 Volvo V70 Wagon 4dr Wagon

This old girl has given me 14 years of driving pleasure. I still look forward to any opportunity to take her for a spin. I'd like to get her to 200,000 miles, but I'm feeling a need for a little more oomph in the engine. Driving through the Appalachians demonstrated that hills are too much for her now. The dealer sold her to me with the praise,"It gets out of its own way". This has been true, but in the mountains of western Maryland, she wasn't easily getting out of the way of more powerful cars behind us. Even at 17 years old, her exterior looks like new. My Saint Bernard's claws don't even scratch the paint! The interior is showing signs of age, however: some cracking leather and loose pieces due to dried out glue. All cosmetic; no mechanical failures. I don't know that I will ever find a more comfortable and quiet ride. I'd buy this one all over again and if cared for as well as mine has been, I would recommend to anyone.

Great car, crappy interior.
By Matthew

1999 Volvo V70 Wagon XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my first Volvo. It drives and handles great. I bought with lots of maintenance recently completed including; timing chain, cam seals, head gasket, hoses and a few other things. I put new tires with a new alignment. I also installed a better stereo and reverse cam so I can see when my dogs are in the back. The only negative is that the seats are worn. I have looked at many in the 98-02 range and it seems the leather seats don't hold up well, but are comfortable. The center consol is cheaply made and moves around. Other than that the car is solid. I really enjoy driving the car and would like it to last me a few years before I get a newer used Volvo. I really love this car!

Running well
By driver110

1999 Volvo V70 Wagon 4dr Wagon

We purchased this V-70 over a year ago. Yup, the tail gate cover was loose, but it was easy to fix. Oxygen sensor went out, a little pricy but another easy fix. Gets 22.7 city and 28.9 hwy which increased a bit with new plugs. Overall this is a great little car, I hope to run it to 300,000 which is where my last two Fords gave up the ghost.

Oil cap leaks, new one didn't do any better, I'm thinking Bubble Gum,,,,

Nicest of the 12 cars I've owned
By slvrspcshp

1999 Volvo V70 Wagon 4dr Wagon

My previous car was a 1988 740 GLE. I put 365,000 miles on that, sold it for 700.00, and it is STILL someone's daily driver. The V70 has 186,000 on it, and I've been driving it for 4 years. In that time the only thing I've had to do that wouldn't be considered REGULAR USED CAR UPKEEP is have the throttle body assembly replaced (fully under warranty). I've replaced the plugs, changed the oil regularly, replaced one tie rod, had the brakes done once and fixed one of the fog lights.(NYC driver POTHOLES) I also bought a kit for 13 bucks to secure the inside panel of the tailgate. I love this car, and plan on getting a 2006/2007 model in a couple years, prob my last before having to go electric

I love station wagons. I hate SUVs. I'm a musician and carry a LOT of heavy stuff, long distances, regularly, as well as around a rough city. That is why I love wagons and that is why I love Volvos. They get the job done, in style, comfort and quiet. When I drive sanely at 65-67 MPH on the highway, I get 31 MPG FOR REAL. My next splurge to make this car last is going to be new shocks and struts.

My suggestion is that Volvo not discontinue the V70 in America. It is an awesome utility and travel car, and I obviously love them. My other suggestion would be to Volvo OWNERS...school yourself on how cars work, what makes a good and bad car, and then go find a reliable INDEPENDENT VOLVO MECHANIC in your area who knows how to keep them running at a reasonable cost. Take a little responsibility for your ride, and you will enjoy it without going broke. Used cars need regular upkeep, but it's still better and cheaper than payments on a chintzy subcompact that hurts to ride in.

Don't Buy
By KaliforniaKaren

1999 Volvo V70 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Bought this car because I gave my Honda Civic to daughter. Thought it would be reliable and safe. Well it turned out to be safe, as an unmoving car is pretty safe. The car frequently stalls out for no reason and the dealership hasn't been able to figure out what the problem is (after changing out numerous electrical parts and sensors). I would get another car, but I went back to school and don't have the money too. I've dumped about $3,200 into car, wish I would have never purchased.

Comfort, when it's running.

It's a little late for improvement suggestions at this point. With all that's going on in the economy right now, I think American auto makers are now trying to turn out good vehicles. This car was made when making cars expendable was status quo. I just thought Volvo was different.

• SUV