1999 Volvo V70 T5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Stuck on Volvo, but???
By SWEDE IN COLORADO

1999 Volvo V70 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Owner of Volvo's since 1972. Bought the 99 @15K. Now has 68K. Recent work: ABS/Trac Control Unit, Rear seal on Turbo. Prior: AC control unit under warr. Not sure as simple and well built as older models. Power surge is super - mileage good on highway, overall appearance and safety A+ for what is known as a "brick". Prior cars: 70-144, 74-164, 76-244. My other-- 86- 740 still runs great @222K and 25 mgp/town and very little upkeep costs. Just bought a 97T5 Wagon @ 104K, not sure will keep it. First order of bus to ck the T-belt - when they blow look to rebuild the engine, so I have been warned.

Favorite Features

Best front seats, power surge, safety, stability, field of vision, looks, and sound system. I enjoy knowing air bags in front and to the side. Volvo's have led the way in safety all along!!

Suggested Improvements

Question longevity?? Mechanics say eng. and turbo will go long miles. Hope so. Can't work on it anymore - too many computers and ECU's. Replacing remote/ key controls too much time/cost. Don't trust Ford's ownership. Would like more mpg around town - in low 20's most of the time by wife.

Volvo Troubles
By Mike R.

1999 Volvo V70 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

We've owned this car for 7 years and have spent close to $5,000 in unscheduled repairs. Our list: -Brakes and rotors-headlight switch- motor mounts-ABS module-heater core- throttle body (twice)-power window motor-dash repair-cupholder replaced- power steering seals-many headlights/tail lights. Our car is not abused and only dealer serviced. It is very expensive to operate and any visit to the service shop will cost a minimum $120 for a diagnostic. I will never buy Volvo again.

Favorite Features

Good looks for a wagon and turbo power.

Suggested Improvements

Volvo should just get it right or take responablity for what SHOULD be covered by warranty. Design brakes to not require new rotors every other change. Design a real cup holder.

I love my car
By joemama

1999 Volvo V70 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

My car is very quick! No major problems at 50,000 miles.This is my third Volvo , and although it is not as heavy duty, I would still expect to get at least 300,000 miles as I did on my last Volvo.( Car is still running fine, I gave it to a friend.)

Favorite Features

I can blow away most cars on the street.

Suggested Improvements

Volvo has already solved suspension sloppyness and road noise in the 2001 S60 I drove.