Used 1999 Volvo V70 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Running well
By driver110

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

We purchased this V-70 over a year ago. Yup, the tail gate cover was loose, but it was easy to fix. Oxygen sensor went out, a little pricy but another easy fix. Gets 22.7 city and 28.9 hwy which increased a bit with new plugs. Overall this is a great little car, I hope to run it to 300,000 which is where my last two Fords gave up the ghost.

Suggested Improvements

Oil cap leaks, new one didn't do any better, I'm thinking Bubble Gum,,,,

money pit
By tomcon

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

The only good thing I can say about this car is that I've never had a breakdown and tow. Nevertheless it's been an unending series of expensive repairs involving the cooling and electrical system, including an ABS rebuild, throttle body failure, oxygen sensor replacement, and the replacement of too many to count switches and bulbs. There is no such thing as a simple oil and filter change; always some aggravating expensive repair. I feel like I'm rebuilding this car as I go along, and I've taken good care of it. Now we're into college years and I can't afford to replace it. Only 94000 miles and the worst car purchase in over 40 years of ownership. Shame on volvo for peddling this junk.

Favorite Features

Nice looking car with good body integrity.

Suggested Improvements

The electrical system.

Pretty decent car!
By jb99v70

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Bought this car in January and it's been a pleasure to own. I got it VERY cheap, and all I had to do was put new tires on it and about $700 worth of suspension work. Other than that the car has been pretty much trouble free. No break downs. Check engine light pops up about once a week. But usually goes away. Drivers door window pack isn't working right. A/C works when it wants to. One door doesn't lock and the car seems to think one door is open always. So just removed dinger and light fuses. Tailgate panel still makes noise even with new clips. A couple creaks and rattles. Gas mileage is pretty bad for a wagon. About 14 city 25 highway. But it has been a decent car for the price.

Favorite Features

Stereo. Exhaust sound. Seats are great. GREAT turning circle (can get out of a tight spot in one try),

Suggested Improvements

Non turbo is a bit sluggish. Can't think of any others really.

Don't Buy
By KaliforniaKaren

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Bought this car because I gave my Honda Civic to daughter. Thought it would be reliable and safe. Well it turned out to be safe, as an unmoving car is pretty safe. The car frequently stalls out for no reason and the dealership hasn't been able to figure out what the problem is (after changing out numerous electrical parts and sensors). I would get another car, but I went back to school and don't have the money too. I've dumped about $3,200 into car, wish I would have never purchased.

Favorite Features

Comfort, when it's running.

Suggested Improvements

It's a little late for improvement suggestions at this point. With all that's going on in the economy right now, I think American auto makers are now trying to turn out good vehicles. This car was made when making cars expendable was status quo. I just thought Volvo was different.

Nicest of the 12 cars I've owned
By slvrspcshp

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

My previous car was a 1988 740 GLE. I put 365,000 miles on that, sold it for 700.00, and it is STILL someone's daily driver. The V70 has 186,000 on it, and I've been driving it for 4 years. In that time the only thing I've had to do that wouldn't be considered REGULAR USED CAR UPKEEP is have the throttle body assembly replaced (fully under warranty). I've replaced the plugs, changed the oil regularly, replaced one tie rod, had the brakes done once and fixed one of the fog lights.(NYC driver POTHOLES) I also bought a kit for 13 bucks to secure the inside panel of the tailgate. I love this car, and plan on getting a 2006/2007 model in a couple years, prob my last before having to go electric

Favorite Features

I love station wagons. I hate SUVs. I'm a musician and carry a LOT of heavy stuff, long distances, regularly, as well as around a rough city. That is why I love wagons and that is why I love Volvos. They get the job done, in style, comfort and quiet. When I drive sanely at 65-67 MPH on the highway, I get 31 MPG FOR REAL. My next splurge to make this car last is going to be new shocks and struts.

Suggested Improvements

My suggestion is that Volvo not discontinue the V70 in America. It is an awesome utility and travel car, and I obviously love them. My other suggestion would be to Volvo OWNERS...school yourself on how cars work, what makes a good and bad car, and then go find a reliable INDEPENDENT VOLVO MECHANIC in your area who knows how to keep them running at a reasonable cost. Take a little responsibility for your ride, and you will enjoy it without going broke. Used cars need regular upkeep, but it's still better and cheaper than payments on a chintzy subcompact that hurts to ride in.