1999 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Running well
By driver110 on 09/19/11 17:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

We purchased this V-70 over a year ago. Yup, the tail gate cover was loose, but it was easy to fix. Oxygen sensor went out, a little pricy but another easy fix. Gets 22.7 city and 28.9 hwy which increased a bit with new plugs. Overall this is a great little car, I hope to run it to 300,000 which is where my last two Fords gave up the ghost.

Nicest of the 12 cars I've owned
By slvrspcshp on 03/05/11 18:15 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

My previous car was a 1988 740 GLE. I put 365,000 miles on that, sold it for 700.00, and it is STILL someone's daily driver. The V70 has 186,000 on it, and I've been driving it for 4 years. In that time the only thing I've had to do that wouldn't be considered REGULAR USED CAR UPKEEP is have the throttle body assembly replaced (fully under warranty). I've replaced the plugs, changed the oil regularly, replaced one tie rod, had the brakes done once and fixed one of the fog lights.(NYC driver POTHOLES) I also bought a kit for 13 bucks to secure the inside panel of the tailgate. I love this car, and plan on getting a 2006/2007 model in a couple years, prob my last before having to go electric

Don't Buy
By KaliforniaKaren on 07/17/10 21:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Bought this car because I gave my Honda Civic to daughter. Thought it would be reliable and safe. Well it turned out to be safe, as an unmoving car is pretty safe. The car frequently stalls out for no reason and the dealership hasn't been able to figure out what the problem is (after changing out numerous electrical parts and sensors). I would get another car, but I went back to school and don't have the money too. I've dumped about $3,200 into car, wish I would have never purchased.

Pretty decent car!
By jb99v70 on 10/07/09 17:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Bought this car in January and it's been a pleasure to own. I got it VERY cheap, and all I had to do was put new tires on it and about $700 worth of suspension work. Other than that the car has been pretty much trouble free. No break downs. Check engine light pops up about once a week. But usually goes away. Drivers door window pack isn't working right. A/C works when it wants to. One door doesn't lock and the car seems to think one door is open always. So just removed dinger and light fuses. Tailgate panel still makes noise even with new clips. A couple creaks and rattles. Gas mileage is pretty bad for a wagon. About 14 city 25 highway. But it has been a decent car for the price.

money pit
By tomcon on 04/04/09 05:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

The only good thing I can say about this car is that I've never had a breakdown and tow. Nevertheless it's been an unending series of expensive repairs involving the cooling and electrical system, including an ABS rebuild, throttle body failure, oxygen sensor replacement, and the replacement of too many to count switches and bulbs. There is no such thing as a simple oil and filter change; always some aggravating expensive repair. I feel like I'm rebuilding this car as I go along, and I've taken good care of it. Now we're into college years and I can't afford to replace it. Only 94000 miles and the worst car purchase in over 40 years of ownership. Shame on volvo for peddling this junk.

Best decision
By FF6M on 05/27/08 21:32 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I bought my V70 a few months ago for a really good price, and I love it. It has some minor issues like the passenger side windows only going up from the driver control, but it's not a big deal. I drove it from Florida to New York, loaded with everything I own, and the trip went really well, but it stopped starting a day or two after I got home. Apparently the problem lies with spark plugs, and I have no idea how old they are, so really nothing is wrong. My handling wasn't too great on the trip but I attribute that to carrying about 700 pounds of cargo in the back. It's usually great. It runs great, and it's very comfortable. It can carry a ton of stuff.

Volvo - Never Again
By George on 04/24/08 12:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I bought this used from the original owner for my son as his first car. I bought it because of its reputation as a safe car. What a piece of junk. I had the ABS module rebuilt ($170) because of dash lights and performance issues related to it. Dealer would have wanted close to $800 to fix - robbers. Shortly thereafter, it was stalling intermittently. Lo and behold, I needed to replace the ETM module (which was a Volvo defect) but it was done for free, however needed to replace the pedal assembly since it was continuing to stall ($235). Bottom line - it is a super expensive car to maintain and I regret buying it for my son. It will send me to the poor house if I keep it. Safe but costly.

V70 is the best
By lincoln on 09/21/07 16:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Never a problem, has never let me down. Repairs are always less than I thought they would be. Just a great car.

reliable with cost
By owner in StMonica,CA on 12/21/06 23:15 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Got the car in late '04 with 45K (warranty was over in a month!) Reliable in most conditions and fun to drive. Poor city gas mileage(17MPG vs. +/-30 HWY). Frequent bulb failures.(LED in the hatch door was out from the beginning.) Service was expensive. (50K & 60K service fees are $320 & $595, and had some issues with dealership). Hope the car has better shock absorbers and cuts road noise(able to sense all the road conditions with my body).

Great Alternative to Oversized SUV
By newVolvoLVR on 09/20/06 10:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Great alternative to Hefty SUV, this car provides reasoning to buying a car for hauling purposes. Design is classic. If you are in the market for safety, look no further. A wonderful starter car if you have never owned a Volvo. Volvo for life.