1999 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Running well
By driver110 on 09/19/11 17:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

We purchased this V-70 over a year ago. Yup, the tail gate cover was loose, but it was easy to fix. Oxygen sensor went out, a little pricy but another easy fix. Gets 22.7 city and 28.9 hwy which increased a bit with new plugs. Overall this is a great little car, I hope to run it to 300,000 which is where my last two Fords gave up the ghost.

Nicest of the 12 cars I've owned
By slvrspcshp on 03/05/11 18:15 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

My previous car was a 1988 740 GLE. I put 365,000 miles on that, sold it for 700.00, and it is STILL someone's daily driver. The V70 has 186,000 on it, and I've been driving it for 4 years. In that time the only thing I've had to do that wouldn't be considered REGULAR USED CAR UPKEEP is have the throttle body assembly replaced (fully under warranty). I've replaced the plugs, changed the oil regularly, replaced one tie rod, had the brakes done once and fixed one of the fog lights.(NYC driver POTHOLES) I also bought a kit for 13 bucks to secure the inside panel of the tailgate. I love this car, and plan on getting a 2006/2007 model in a couple years, prob my last before having to go electric

Don't Buy
By KaliforniaKaren on 07/17/10 21:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Bought this car because I gave my Honda Civic to daughter. Thought it would be reliable and safe. Well it turned out to be safe, as an unmoving car is pretty safe. The car frequently stalls out for no reason and the dealership hasn't been able to figure out what the problem is (after changing out numerous electrical parts and sensors). I would get another car, but I went back to school and don't have the money too. I've dumped about $3,200 into car, wish I would have never purchased.

Pretty decent car!
By jb99v70 on 10/07/09 17:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Bought this car in January and it's been a pleasure to own. I got it VERY cheap, and all I had to do was put new tires on it and about $700 worth of suspension work. Other than that the car has been pretty much trouble free. No break downs. Check engine light pops up about once a week. But usually goes away. Drivers door window pack isn't working right. A/C works when it wants to. One door doesn't lock and the car seems to think one door is open always. So just removed dinger and light fuses. Tailgate panel still makes noise even with new clips. A couple creaks and rattles. Gas mileage is pretty bad for a wagon. About 14 city 25 highway. But it has been a decent car for the price.

Good overall, many small repairs
By SBdriver on 08/24/09 13:43 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Got mine from my father w/ around 145k miles. Originally a rental. Drove good, handled good, could take it camping, did fine in semi-off road conditions, very comfortable seats, good MPG, somewhat cheap to fill up, roomy. Inside covering for the back hatch came off/apart frequently - had sketchy mounts. Terrible cup holders, couldn't use center compartment when in use. Lots of minor/major? repairs including belts, strut cushions, something to do w/ the heater/ac, speakers on one side stopped working, hose burst once, steering out of alignment - car "rumbled" at 75+ MPH. Over all enjoyed the car. Crashed at almost 160k miles, still going strong. Appreciate it much more now that it's gone.

money pit
By tomcon on 04/04/09 05:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

The only good thing I can say about this car is that I've never had a breakdown and tow. Nevertheless it's been an unending series of expensive repairs involving the cooling and electrical system, including an ABS rebuild, throttle body failure, oxygen sensor replacement, and the replacement of too many to count switches and bulbs. There is no such thing as a simple oil and filter change; always some aggravating expensive repair. I feel like I'm rebuilding this car as I go along, and I've taken good care of it. Now we're into college years and I can't afford to replace it. Only 94000 miles and the worst car purchase in over 40 years of ownership. Shame on volvo for peddling this junk.

Love it all but the maintenance
By A Kirkland Mom on 01/12/09 14:31 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I adore everything about my Volvo but the price it takes to keep it. Even the dealer admitted it is a lemon. Another reviewer hit the nail when he said "very good or awful." I got the short end of the stick on this one with weird problems (unraveling muffler gumming up exhaust, unexplained smokes inside and out...) and so may trips to the dealer, I know all the service people's kids' names. That being said, I love the way it drives, looks, feels and physically holds up, structure wise, I just picked a lemon. Would buy another one but can't gamble on picking a winner.

Very Happy
By justme1000 on 09/23/08 08:53 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo V70 Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

One thing I have come to learn about these Volvo's is that either they are very very good or very very bad. I did about 4 months worth of research and highly recommend doing a carfax report on interested vehicles. It seems that they either are notorious for electrical problems or trouble free other than routine mainteneance. I absolutely love my XC and I currently get 21MPG in the City and 27 on the HWY which really surprised me and more than makes up for having to use premimum gasoline. Do your homework and you will not be disappointed.

Keeping this one!
By Jennifer on 07/09/08 09:50 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I really enjoy our wagon and the goal is to keep it as long as possible. We recently had to do some work on it but I would consider most of it normal wear and tear for a 10 year old car. We have gone on several 12+ hour car trips and always enjoy the ride and I am six foot tall so I can't say that about most cars.

Great Ride, Poor Interior Quality
By BigDave on 07/06/08 07:41 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this with 40,000 miles. With the exception of the AWD axle blowing ($2200) I have had no serious mechanical problems. Burns oil and the brakes are very expensive ($900 for all 4) to replace. The interior has fallen apart from day one. 3 interior panels keep breaking clips and the back hatch panel has never stayed attached even after replacing the clips. Volvo is a good car mechanically and ergonomically, but it feels like Ford's traditionally poor quality interior. Leather is extremely cracked and many electronic annoyances.