Used 1999 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

A Once and A Lifetime Car
By C.P. Richter

1999 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I have a 1999 Volvo XC and it is the best car I can literally ever think of owning. With over 140,000 miles, it still runs great. It had no problem a journey from Virginia to Oklahoma (1100 miles) and it wouldnt even cross my mind not driving it back and forth more often. If anyone has ever been to Oklahoma, you would know that the roads here are horrible: potholes everywhere, loose gravel, ect. This car doesnt have any problems. Also, everyone i talk to absolutely loves the look of the 1999 XC; its somewhat rugged and hard-core. I couldnt imagine owning any other car! Anyone considering a Volvo, please make a wise decision...choose the volvo.

Gets out of its own way
By Amy Chalmers

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

This old girl has given me 14 years of driving pleasure. I still look forward to any opportunity to take her for a spin. I'd like to get her to 200,000 miles, but I'm feeling a need for a little more oomph in the engine. Driving through the Appalachians demonstrated that hills are too much for her now. The dealer sold her to me with the praise,"It gets out of its own way". This has been true, but in the mountains of western Maryland, she wasn't easily getting out of the way of more powerful cars behind us.

Even at 17 years old, her exterior looks like new. My Saint Bernard's claws don't even scratch the paint! The interior is showing signs of age, however: some cracking leather and loose pieces due to dried out glue. All cosmetic; no mechanical failures. I don't know that I will ever find a more comfortable and quiet ride. I'd buy this one all over again and if cared for as well as mine has been, I would recommend to anyone.

Great car, crappy interior.
By Matthew

1999 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my first Volvo. It drives and handles great. I bought with lots of maintenance recently completed including; timing chain, cam seals, head gasket, hoses and a few other things. I put new tires with a new alignment. I also installed a better stereo and reverse cam so I can see when my dogs are in the back. The only negative is that the seats are worn. I have looked at many in the 98-02 range and it seems the leather seats don't hold up well, but are comfortable. The center consol is cheaply made and moves around. Other than that the car is solid. I really enjoy driving the car and would like it to last me a few years before I get a newer used Volvo. I really love this car!

Love my '99 V70R AWD Wagon
By Casey Milroy

1999 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Great off the line acceleration and goes well on the road when the tranny downshifts and Turbo kicks in. Granted, a car this old will have some Turbo Lag for sure, but a 1983 Porsche 911 Turbo also spools up a bit slowly. Mileage isn't outstanding around town or highway compared to new cars. Thing is, it's comfortable and can haul your stuff. I love this low roofed 2 box design. The different front Fascia w/ fog lights, wheels, rear air deflector etc make it the best looking Volvo wagon. I added the factory twin or dual exhaust which the 1999 didn't come with. I tinted the windows, dark in the back, legal on front windows. I also added IPD super headlights, which work better and look real cool. The mids, tweets and subs add up to the best, most balanced stereo I've had. Some things aren't ideal...costs a lot to service...I was spending $1000/yr average for service when driving a lot. Now I'm retired. Mine is different than some I've ridden in...it is quiet w/o creaks, groans and rattles (which drive me crazy). The interior is in good shape w/o tears etc. The defroster could work better. Uses about a quart (one of 6 quarts/oil change) every 3000 miles which is more than acceptable. I have used full synthetic oil since I bought it 50,000 miles ago, changing it every 3-5000 miles. I don't want to change my car. Not to mention, as a Volvo Wagon...it's invisible to the general population. I have no children and am divorced, I've just always found the boxy design to be functional.

Running well
By driver110

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

We purchased this V-70 over a year ago. Yup, the tail gate cover was loose, but it was easy to fix. Oxygen sensor went out, a little pricy but another easy fix.
Gets 22.7 city and 28.9 hwy which increased a bit with new plugs. Overall this is a great little car, I hope to run it to 300,000 which is where my last two Fords gave up the ghost.

Oil cap leaks, new one didn't do any better, I'm thinking Bubble Gum,,,,