THis Will Help
By Jay W on
1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD
I have 2 Volvos:850 & V70 both with nearly 200K. As you read these reviews, bear in mind there are 2 kinds ov Volvo owners: those who don't do squat themselves & expect 0 maintenance cuz it's a Volvo and get disappointed when they get gouged from dealers. (industry wide) And the other group are folks like me who do work selves and run em 4 ever. By huge margin, easiest to work on, extremely durable well-made. Don't be intimidated by the ignorance-based reviews: these cars will run for 300K easy! look online for maintenance helpful volvo sites! the inline 5cyl GM tried to copy: the motor is bulletproof!Local tranny shop almost never sees Volvos! Neg w/V's=little plastic trim interior stuff.
Favorite Features
I CAN FIX THIS CAR MYSELF SO EASILY!
Suggested Improvements
Volvo's dealers are a problem for the company but find a mom & pop repair shop that knows Volvos and educate yourself and be a DIY mechanic. I've never seen a car so incredibly easy to work on! And stay away from off brand non-volvo parts: the quality is
By 150vehicles
on 04/20/12 07:07 AM (PDT)

May I suggest a third type of owner? Over the past 45 years I have personally owned and worked on approximately 150 vehicles ranging from antiques to foreign to domestic to sports cars and vintage motorcycles. I have done just about every type of vehicle repair known to man. That having been said, my four 1998 awd Volvos are the most expensive and difficult to maintain vehicles I have ever owned. (One is a parts car; three are on the road - 250k, 180k, & 150k.) Normal maintenance, although frequent, is typically uncomplicated (brakes, bulbs, tune up, light switches, etc. But a fuel pump is several hundred dollars and many hours of work to replace, when if a cover had been put into the body, it could be changed in minutes. Drive shafts are easy to replace but go every few years, cost a minimum of $400 and cannot be rebuilt by a machine chop. (I've tried.) The AC component behind the dash requires the entire removal of the dash to replace and that runs about 8 hours. Rear shocks are close to $300 apiece. Lose one tire and mandatory replacement of all four to keep from destroying the viscous coupling. The list goes on. I also drive Range Rovers and vintage British bikes, so clearly I have a disease, but let us not think that these vehicles are necessarily a dream for all with a modicum of mechanical aptitude. They also require a heaping helping of MONEY to go with aptitude and time expended.

By tostik
on 04/03/11 02:51 AM (PDT)

i have a great independent volvo mechanic, who is less expensive than my (former) independent ford mechanic (who was less expensive than a ford dealership). he's one of the reasons why i only own volvos now. in my case, volvos are CHEAPER to maintain than most other cars.