Rocky Start, Pretty Good Finish
By JD Rockefeller on
1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon
I love wagons, especially small reliable ones. I bought this used @45K miles, and the dealer did all the maint', but after 50K, I paid and it was killing me (a thousand plus / year). I was mad and ready to sell when I finally found a good local guy. It's been great ever since. Much of what the dealer "recommended" was just a waste - In three years: a Battery Tires Rotors Pads; that's about it, everything still works. This car has no pep, it's ugly, I rarely wash it and change the oil filter every 10K, but it is super reliable, the most comfortable, gets decent gas milage, and still feels rock solid after well into 200K miles. Now I might buy another, but a little sports car's calling too ..
Favorite Features
Reliable and Solid after 6 years of 110 mile daily round trips. Volvo tends to keep the near-exact model for several years, and as an engineer I can tell they have thought out placement of components, interchangability, etc. Just find a good local guy 'cause two of two dealers here are ripoffs.
Suggested Improvements
They've gotten better at styling - the new ones are not eye candy but they no longer look like red-headed step children either. Too bad they don't make a small blazer type - the original one with the removable hard top that was part jeep, part suburban - and make it V40 size.