Used 1998 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

sweet ride, but expensive to maintain
By MarkyD

1998 Volvo V70 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Bought 4-yrs old and have owned for 4 years. The good: great performance, very comfortable, safe. Holds a lot of cargo, but is really a 4-seater, not 5. With two car seats in the back, only a child can squeeze between them. The bad: parts are very expensive and it is prone to electrical problems. We've replaced the stereo and power window switches, but both problems recurred within 6 months. Also had to replace ABS computer which cost $440 just for the part, plus labor. Now the power locks are on the fritz. Never had a breakdown or failed to start, just annoying/expensive repairs. Overall, a good car, but we are trading in on a Honda Odessey soon, which is a better bang for the buck.

Turbo, manual shifter, comfy front seats, cargo area.

Rocky Start, Pretty Good Finish
By JD Rockefeller

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I love wagons, especially small reliable ones. I bought this used @45K miles, and the dealer did all the maint', but after 50K, I paid and it was killing me (a thousand plus / year). I was mad and ready to sell when I finally found a good local guy. It's been great ever since. Much of what the dealer "recommended" was just a waste - In three years: a Battery Tires Rotors Pads; that's about it, everything still works. This car has no pep, it's ugly, I rarely wash it and change the oil filter every 10K, but it is super reliable, the most comfortable, gets decent gas milage, and still feels rock solid after well into 200K miles. Now I might buy another, but a little sports car's calling too ..

Reliable and Solid after 6 years of 110 mile daily round trips. Volvo tends to keep the near-exact model for several years, and as an engineer I can tell they have thought out placement of components, interchangability, etc. Just find a good local guy 'cause two of two dealers here are ripoffs.

They've gotten better at styling - the new ones are not eye candy but they no longer look like red-headed step children either. Too bad they don't make a small blazer type - the original one with the removable hard top that was part jeep, part suburban - and make it V40 size.

98 Volvo
By Tim

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my first hands on experience with V70 XC. I have heard and read a lot about its safety, comfort and reliability, but once you drive one, it's a different experience. It is not as speedy and powerful as a mustang or as luxury as Lexus, but safe enough for those long trips or unexpected weather changes. Very easy to handle and safe with cornering. It's heavy enough to notice a smooth ride with out that road noise you would hear in most of the cars. I think I will keep this one for a while or trade it in for a newer one.

Stiffer, more stable ride. Road noise reduction to a bare minimum, Excelent sound system. Smooth shifting. Good gas mileage.

Heated seats needs could use a little more otion on the temperature adjustment.

Seven Years Now
By Ed

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had this car since new. There were two initial issues. Both were addressed. The car has had some performance modifications by IPD so it is faster than the average V70R. Other than above I have not had any major issues with the car. It has been a pain to pass DEQ not because it has high emmissions but because the computer has a long drive time to re-register data after a battery change. For me it was nice to carry items but think you are in a pretty fast sedan otherwise. Gas mileage is not great. I should also mention that I was T boned once by a car doing and estimated 40 MPH and drove it home. Granted the steering was way out of true. After 7 years I am tired on it though.

Great for hauling dogs

The headlight wipers are Mickey Mouse and parts like most import cars in this class are not the cheapest.

Very Good 'Til the Expensive End
By Sandy

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

My beloved '98 Volvo V70 XC AWD , purchased at 170K miles, made it to 230K without ever breaking down and stranding me. It always started. The ride? Silky smooth. Visibility? Great. Room? Plenty for passengers and 2 big dogs. Safety? Top rated. The heated seats? Ahh! The maintenance was average cost at Mavis, very expensive at the dealer, though. If you can put in your own light bulbs, you're fine. However, the fuel pump died and they want $1,900 to $1,300 to fix it. I now realize that this car, new or used, is better purchased by wealthier individuals. If I could buy new, I would certainly do so.

Heated seats, haute luxury interior, very roomy back with built-in cargo net & and hooks for dog gate. Big gas tank means less stops for gas. Safety unparalleled. Never broke down in 3 years I owned it.

Cup holder easily broken. Fuel pump shouldn't taken 17 hours of labor to reach. Check engine light goes on too easily for silly reasons. Can't complain much else.