1998 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Trouble Trouble Trouble
By PCHB on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Other reviewers have either loved this car or hated it. I fall in the hated it category due to very poor reliability, the list is endless. Lost all tires in the first 3 months (bad batch of Continental), visited the shop 8 times due to 'Check engine light' solved finally by a complete fuel system replacement, then wiper motor went, then headlight system, then airconditioning, then at 53,000 dirve shaft, AWD system and clutch! Need I say more! I did force Volvo into a full-blue bokk +$5000 buy-back on a 2002 AWD (with extended warranty) - it has been perfect.

Never Again
By Not A Happy Camper on 11/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

We purchased this vehicle used to replace a 1988 Volvo 740. We should have kept the 740! This car has spent more time in the shop than my previous 10 cars of many different makes. My problem areas have been A.C, anti lock brakes, air pump and check valve, cd player, just to name the major areas. Don't think that Volve will come to your aid after the warranty period. If you need an awd wagon,look at the Mercedes of this era. I know I am!

Never ever again My friends too
By DaveM on 11/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Got this v70glt for my wife new. From the start it was a nightmare. I cant tell you how many times its been in the shop. But I know all the service managers by their first names. It is getting worse over time. I'm out at 75K with thousands spent in repairs. Run dont walk.

Great Looks, But that's all folks
By Not Pleased on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I have loved Volvos all my life. I have an '83 DL that is still kicking with 240000 miles. My '98 V70 R AWD is another story. It rides like a logging truck, yet all is fine.It has a jerk in the trans that will drive you insane. It has been in the shop a total of 32 days since Feb of this year. I love the color, the engine performance (lots of power), the comforts and safety - but this is not a car I will keep. I drive the '83 more and enjoy it a hell of alot more!

great family car
By td90 on 11/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

We bought the v70 GLT used several months ago with 55k miles, and are very pleased with the car. Very solid construction, no rattles or squeeks. Good acceleration, crisp handling, and great brakes. With routine maintenance, should be good for 200K+ miles, just like the 740 we had.

Safe AND Sorry
By dbw on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

We replaced our first used Volvo, an 850 Wagon, with this newer(and better?) model only to find that it is an over- engineered tempermental computer with 4WD. It's performance is very good. I love being able to accelerate rapidly from 70 mph around a semi with no problem, and wet/snow performance is great. BUT...I am constantly starring at that @#*& 'check engine' light. It can illuminate for anything from not replacing the gas cap securely, to an emission control sensor, wire, computer, to who knows what. Cruise control failed after one year and minimal use, and it took 3 trips to dealer to get it fixed. Once the warranty expires, watch out!

My wonderful Volvo
By marchard on 10/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 GT 4dr Wagon

I bought my Volvo V70 as a minivan alternative - with the 3rd seat option it can seat 7. It's wonderful. It's a luxury car with a great sound system, powerful brakes and sits so smoothly on the road that I wonder how I'll ever be able to drive a 'cheap' car again. Best of all, I know that my family is safe.

test driver
By Mhotopp on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

My wife wants a volvo wagon, so I've been testing them for two weeks. Leather separates from door panels, bulbs burn out, suspension and brakes wear fast, check engine warnings are common. She wants it, its our 10th anniversary,and I can't buy it. Sucks~!

test driver
By mhotopp on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

great family car
By Eric on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

We bought a certified used car from a dealer. It is a solid, well-built car, rattle free at 59,000 miles. Good acceleration, quiet cabin, good emergency handling, and great seats. More safety features than most cars.