1998 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
1998 V70 Wagon
By merley on 07/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

The V70 definatly feels more sturdy than our Camry, solid like you would imagine a tank feels. Crisp handling/steering can be fatiguing on long trips because the slightest move of the wheel sends you off course. Braking is excellent with 4 wheel disc/anti-lock during the yellow light power stops I've never had anyone stop as quikly as me. Acceleration? I'm not so impressed but it's better than the Camry. The seats are very comortable (but see improvement area for related comments). The leather quality seems better than average.

Practical good looks
By Michigan Fats on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I really like this car. It is solid and practical. Great cargo room, long and lower than SUVs. With my Thule roof rack I can carry kayaks, bicycles, or lumber on top without help getting it on the load bars. However, since 100K miles I'm putting quite a bit of money into repairs. Maybe that's normal, but my wife's 1994 Accura Legend with 164K miles has needed fewer repairs (per her). Wonderful winter car too.

Volvo98V70AWD
By DTW on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

The AWD is wonderful! It will go anywhere in bad weather. Have had to make some major repairs that I did not believe would be needed on a Volvo.

Love it!
By charming on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I have always wanted one and finally I got one. I absolutely love it! There are a few things that I don't care for. The cup holders suck and the rattling I could do without. It also drives a little bumpy but other than that heaven. A buddy of mine even took it off roading out in the sticks and it did surprising fabulous.

Atrocious Reliability
By Constant Agony on 05/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

During the first 2-3 years of ownership (during warranty period), no real problems. Thereafter, it has been a nightmare. Car is constantly in the shop for repairs. The "check engine" light is almost as constant as Miss Liberty's--it's always on. Problems include: A/C; gauges; water pump replaced; electric windows fail to work; radio quit; and those headlights--probably replaced ten times. Think twice before you buy or buy and get rid of before the warranty period expires. Never Again.

Love the XC so far
By pete_427 on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought a used XC a year ago and so far, despite a couple nagging bulb- related problems, we really like the car. The ride and comfort are excellent, it has plenty of power, it looks fantastic, and it's great in foul weather. The "check engine" light just came on and we are scheduled to have it looked into. I hope we're not about to enter "check engine light" hell (as described by other reviewers). Overall a really nice car, but I'll agree not what I'd have expected for $40k when new (in terms of attention to build-quality details).

I don't think it gets any better!
By mrpresident911 on 04/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

1 year and 25,000 miles of ownership have been examplary. Now has 106k miles. Rims are gorgeous and easy to keep clean with OE brake pads. Just wax them and keep them hosed off. Love this car!

Fun Safety Box
By mtnbiker on 04/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I recently added a new ECU unit to the car with a sportier exhaust system from IPD so now the car flies for a Volvo. Instead of the stock 190 hp, I'm running with around 230. The car hasn't been the most reliable with the little things such as bulbs, and squeeks here and there, but the overall quality is fabulous. Just find a good mechanic that you trust and keep the car serviced and it will run well in all conditions. The all-wheel drive system is very good in the snow, especially when starting in 2nd gear (winter mode). The only AWD system that I feel is better is from Audi.

1998 Volvo V70XC
By petee on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Good vehicle all around. Braking system poor design. Rear wear out at 17000mi, fronts last forever.

Volvo XC mets expectations
By Al97 on 12/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

We have owned this car for a year and half. It is a competent car. The extended Volvo warrenty seems useless though as nothing seems to be covered under it when you really get into it. There have been seveal small electrical problems that seem surprising and unecessary like the emergency flasher reley failing (not covered and $75 ) replacement. The cabin lights only work sparadically when you opent he door. Our 10 year old Mercedes wagon has had far fewer problems, and has been all over the world with us. Our 1986 240 wagon was more reliable than the XC but neither ever stranded us by the roadside.