Used 1998 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

V70 Very safe
By Yope

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I recently got in quite a nasty accident with my '98 v70 wagon; and boy was I lucky to be in this car than any other... The guys that hit me were both taken to the hospital, and I did not even have a scratch on me.. The Volvo was total loss unfortunately. So safety is definitely my favorite thing about Volvo. Other nice features are sturdiness on the highway, and reliability.

Favorite Features

Safety. Period.

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage, cheaper repairs, and most of all: The 2.5L engine has barely enough power to propel this heavy car past any other traffic when overtaking...

184,000 Miles and still going strong!!
By ryan

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I have owned a lot of Volvos, this is by far the best one yet. My car has 184k miles on it and it still going strong. it has only had a few small problems, (MAF, small oil leak and o2 sensor) other then that the car has been great. I drive all the time and this in car is the most comfortable I have ever had. The AWD is great in the Snowbelt where I live. just make sure you keep ALL 4 TIRE's with 2\32 of each other. If you don't you will have to replace the entire AWD system. and when you replace tires you must replace ALL FOUR at once.

Favorite Features

AWD, Turbo, Great sound system!!! Heated seats, "Saffron" color, ride and handling, sleeper car.

Suggested Improvements

tougher AWD system and cup holders

bucket of bolts
By tom

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

we have carefully serviced this car from the start. while it is reliable (starts every time) its fit and finish from the very first day showed a lack of workmanship and good design. It is very costly to replace ordinary parts such as oxygen sensors, mufflers and pipes and to repair interior problems like interior lights, shoddy plastic interior molding, etc. I will not buy another Volvo.

Favorite Features

sturdy and spacious and sense of safety. Finally a Volvo with front wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Where do I start: fix the interior molding - it loosened within a few months of ownership. Wiring harness had to be replaced after I paid for several headlights. CD player has never worked, even after replacement from dealer.

Extremely pleased owner
By Super v70GLT

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Great car inside and out. Very reilable vehicle with only standard maintenance items(e.g. brakes, tires). Excellent power plant and fun to drive - my wife loves it; she takes it on weekends and I get the minivan! Comfort, fuel economy, reliability, classic styling make this my favorite car so far . . . . though I still miss my 1986 760 Turbo wagon. One great car after another, and the walnut trim inside against the tan leather completes the look, comfort and feel of this great wagon. If I had to do it again, I'd have bought this one sooner.

Favorite Features

Leather, heated, comfy seats with memory feature for two. GLTurbo!! Great sound-system. Walnut trim. Traction control. Fold down seats. Power plant - goes like Jack the Bear and cruises beautifully.

Suggested Improvements

One or two more inches back on the drivers seat for tall folks. That's it!

What happened to Volvo?
By E. Knapp

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I have always had a Volvo since the mid 80's. The quality of them, CHEAP Plastic, and way too much for parts and service, almost a 300% mark up on the stuff. The Emissions started acting up and the car will not pass even after spending $1000 on service only to be told it can't be fixed. As well as there is a shake in the front end (no accidents) and been in twice never found out what was wrong. Perfect alignment Never buy another one!

Favorite Features

The all wheel drive versatility.

Suggested Improvements

More comfort. Better quality in their plastics, and not charge an arm and a leg for the parts. Electrical probs galore. I'm going for BMW's now. Better quality, and a little cheaper to maintain