1998 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Why so inconsistant??????
By golfnuttb on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

I'm just about to sell my V70 GLT. I have loved this car. But as the car approaches 100K I look else where. I use a car hard. I put on about 35- 40K/year and I'm leary of driving it past 100K because of the inconsistancy in the reviews that I read. I would love to think I could drive it to 200K.

A Well Maintained Vehicle
By longislanddriver on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

This is my 3rd Volvo. My experience is that the V70 is more reliable that my 1989 245. I always buy a base model for price and more importantly to eliminate problems. The AC compressor and condensor was replaced the first week. I guessed Volvo probably put the wrong refrigerant in it. I used to replace the headlight bulbs but after recall never replace a build yet. Replaced air pump and recently blower fan. A good dealer is the key. I had serveral brake and noise problems but convinced dealer to kept car for a week. They replace rotors, oil pump and pan.

Former Volvo Fan
By justsayno on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Purchased used V70 GLT Wagon with 60k miles and I have had nothing but problems. Car even came with all service records. Great to drive, very comfortable and lots of space. BUT car was in the shop FIVE times over an eight month period and I have paid almost $7k in repairs. I am in the process of selling. Volvo (sorry.....Ford) needs to make a more reilable car.

A Wonderful Car
By Northern Man G on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

This has been a wonderful car. It has never let me down and only been in the shop for routine maintenance. I've found that the ABS can be fooled by hitting potholes while braking normally but other than that the car has been a gem.

Volvo V70 1998
By Rose McG on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Love the safety and feeling of driving a tank. Very comfortable to drive long distances. Seat belts have been replaced in two seats! Replacing light/bulbs is a very common thing, very annoying. Driver Power window button had to be replaced, back seat is broken now; too many "little" but important knobs and lights had to be replaced. Other cars I'ved owned, had never this experience!

volvo not as good as they used to be
By coachgids on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car if you have a very good dealer to fix all the things that go wrong with it. Great to drive. Got very expensive after the warranty ran out. Two of our 3 dealers have been horrible to almost incompetent. The third was great and a pleasure to deal with. Volvo North America did little to police dealerships, even after repeated problems.

This Volvo is excellent
By nernin on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

This V70GLT is the first sold in US, March 97. I have had one problem with this car. The dealerships have seen this car only once for an ABS sensor.

Ditto
By gerry100 on 09/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

We've had almost all of the problems described in the above posts, plus the one year only emissions airpump, warped rear rotors and tire consumption. I'ts very disappointing in a $36K car. We actually want to love this car because when everything is working it's a wonderful, safe comfortable car. If Volvo had actually stepped up and taken responsibility for their design and quality mistakes instead of trying to gouge us customers from the '90s boom they may have developed some loyalty. As it is, they've created a growing demand for Subarus.

Fun when it lasted
By volvoding on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car to start with but growing list of repairs is a dissapointment. Our first and maybe last volvo. Replaced turbo seals, front and rear rotars, brake pads every 10k, tires at 30k CV joint (not sold as an individual unit, thus costing $1,000) and the most amazing thing, put the same sized new tires but different manufacturer that created instant wear on the transmission almost resulting in a $3000 repair job. Watch out for AWD and turbo's. Honestly this sounds like a design flaw that volvo places on the consumer and tire companies.

Don't buy used
By $$$outthewindow on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has been great up untill the 70K mile mark. Now it's falling apart. I've spent $3,200. in the first half of this year. on repairs & maintenance. Check Eng. Light is a constent. problem. I have never heard of putting a new gas tank & gasket in a car before, but the service dept. said this was the reason for the check Eng. Light. Just $ 1,400. and I was on my way. They could give me no good reason why it needed to be fixed. The C.E.L. came back on 4 weeks down trhe road. This time hoses.