Used 1998 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

1998 Volvo V70

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Most Helpful|
Drives great, especially to repair shop
By bkw

1998 Volvo V70 Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Love driving this car - in any weather. Seats are terrific and adjust to any position. Performance - esp. handling - is very good (and I have had Audis and a Porsche before). Just drove 3500 miles on vacation and was rarely uncomfortable. Echoing some other reviews, trips to Volvo repair are WAY too frequent and very expensive. Eats brakes ($1k for all 4) and turn signal bulbs. Front susp supports replaced on both sides ($750 per side), generator, air pump, weld a door hinge ($500 each), it's endless. Fuel usage around 17mpg in city but about 28 on hwy.

Favorite Features

Seats, control placement, stereo, a/c, exterior finish.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate gas cap -> check engine light. Add heavy duty brakes to AWD. Longer life for bulbs. Make 3rd gear revs lower to raise city gas mileage. Better cup holders (don't Swedes drink coffee in their cars?).

Not what they used to be
By jerseygirl

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I can't believe there are so many others that have had the same problems...power window, leaking oil, check light always coming on, brakes, tires/alignment, abs, control arm, shift console and now the engine and valves! Some problems couldn't be resolved because every service station (including the dealership) diagnosed it differently. And when the diagnosis was a recalled throttle, Volvo disagreed! Too much money into this car. We justified each repair by reminding ourselves it was a Volvo but no more because they are not what they used to be. The name no longer means anything. (Doesn't Ford own Volvo now anyway?) I'll be buying a Honda or Toyota next. Too bad Volvo isn't what they used to be.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, pet screen, fold down seats, sunroof

poor quality/reliability vehicle
By unhappyv70glt

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Purchased vehicle to get safest car for my family. Found multiple areas of poor reliability: oxygen sensors, brakes, turbo oil-line return seal- and now at 80K the ABS/Traction control computer is out ($700). Maint. costs in 7 yrs= $6500. Selling vehicle because I can't take it anymore.

Favorite Features

Decent acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

See above.

Never ever again My friends too
By DaveM

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Got this v70glt for my wife new. From the start it was a nightmare. I cant tell you how many times its been in the shop. But I know all the service managers by their first names. It is getting worse over time. I'm out at 75K with thousands spent in repairs. Run dont walk.

Favorite Features

seats

Suggested Improvements

quality. If the car worked it would be fine.

bucket of bolts
By tom

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

we have carefully serviced this car from the start. while it is reliable (starts every time) its fit and finish from the very first day showed a lack of workmanship and good design. It is very costly to replace ordinary parts such as oxygen sensors, mufflers and pipes and to repair interior problems like interior lights, shoddy plastic interior molding, etc. I will not buy another Volvo.

Favorite Features

sturdy and spacious and sense of safety. Finally a Volvo with front wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Where do I start: fix the interior molding - it loosened within a few months of ownership. Wiring harness had to be replaced after I paid for several headlights. CD player has never worked, even after replacement from dealer.