1998 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
sweet ride, but expensive to maintain
By MarkyD on 06/22/06 23:08 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Bought 4-yrs old and have owned for 4 years. The good: great performance, very comfortable, safe. Holds a lot of cargo, but is really a 4-seater, not 5. With two car seats in the back, only a child can squeeze between them. The bad: parts are very expensive and it is prone to electrical problems. We've replaced the stereo and power window switches, but both problems recurred within 6 months. Also had to replace ABS computer which cost $440 just for the part, plus labor. Now the power locks are on the fritz. Never had a breakdown or failed to start, just annoying/expensive repairs. Overall, a good car, but we are trading in on a Honda Odessey soon, which is a better bang for the buck.

Rocky Start, Pretty Good Finish
By JD Rockefeller on 05/31/06 14:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I love wagons, especially small reliable ones. I bought this used @45K miles, and the dealer did all the maint', but after 50K, I paid and it was killing me (a thousand plus / year). I was mad and ready to sell when I finally found a good local guy. It's been great ever since. Much of what the dealer "recommended" was just a waste - In three years: a Battery Tires Rotors Pads; that's about it, everything still works. This car has no pep, it's ugly, I rarely wash it and change the oil filter every 10K, but it is super reliable, the most comfortable, gets decent gas milage, and still feels rock solid after well into 200K miles. Now I might buy another, but a little sports car's calling too ..

98 Volvo
By Tim on 04/11/06 09:58 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my first hands on experience with V70 XC. I have heard and read a lot about its safety, comfort and reliability, but once you drive one, it's a different experience. It is not as speedy and powerful as a mustang or as luxury as Lexus, but safe enough for those long trips or unexpected weather changes. Very easy to handle and safe with cornering. It's heavy enough to notice a smooth ride with out that road noise you would hear in most of the cars. I think I will keep this one for a while or trade it in for a newer one.

Seven Years Now
By Ed on 03/31/06 14:16 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had this car since new. There were two initial issues. Both were addressed. The car has had some performance modifications by IPD so it is faster than the average V70R. Other than above I have not had any major issues with the car. It has been a pain to pass DEQ not because it has high emmissions but because the computer has a long drive time to re-register data after a battery change. For me it was nice to carry items but think you are in a pretty fast sedan otherwise. Gas mileage is not great. I should also mention that I was T boned once by a car doing and estimated 40 MPH and drove it home. Granted the steering was way out of true. After 7 years I am tired on it though.

Very Good 'Til the Expensive End
By Sandy on 01/23/06 17:04 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

My beloved '98 Volvo V70 XC AWD , purchased at 170K miles, made it to 230K without ever breaking down and stranding me. It always started. The ride? Silky smooth. Visibility? Great. Room? Plenty for passengers and 2 big dogs. Safety? Top rated. The heated seats? Ahh! The maintenance was average cost at Mavis, very expensive at the dealer, though. If you can put in your own light bulbs, you're fine. However, the fuel pump died and they want $1,900 to $1,300 to fix it. I now realize that this car, new or used, is better purchased by wealthier individuals. If I could buy new, I would certainly do so.

disappointing experience
By peter on 12/24/05 13:37 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

this is 3rd volvo and maybe last.first 2 gave very good service with 200k miles on each with very minor problems.current vehicle is constant maintenance problem wth endless check engine lights, early tire and brake wearouts, abs problems, emission problems. everything expensive to fix, trade in value low for price of car.getting rid of this irritant, probably won't be back.they used to be great cars and distressing to hear overall poor support from volvo

i've loved all 4 of my volvos
By bob on 06/04/05 16:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

i've owned 2 245 wagons, this XC, and my wife drives a XC90. need i say more----and i'd buy another. with this '98 XC, my wife was stopped at a light on the saw mill pkwy outside of nyc---2 passengers....rear-ended by a buick that didn't stop---hit her going 45 mph----not a scratch on the three volvo occupants---totaled the buick----we repaired the XC and still runs superbly. with a set of Thule roofracks/adapters--this vehicle almost becomes a small truck. AWD---we live in the hills of new england---not a problem with the volvo. repairs---the usual--let's say if you keep up with preventive maintenance---you won't be stranded or surprised by a huge repair bill. love my volvo wagons.

Never buying another Volvo
By dotk on 06/03/05 16:36 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new thinking I would have it for 200,000 miles. Now that I've reached 100,000, I'm ready to give it up. I've had the usual complaints that other people mentioned (lights, constantly needing new brakes, Check Engine Light that never goes off). I also spent over $1500 replacing the steering rack at a little over 60,000 miles. I can't tell you how many times the dealer has lied to us about repairs needed (they wanted to replace the A/C coil when it was only a leak). While safe, I'm happy to be getting whatever little I will get as a trade-in and move on.

Everything we hoped for
By scott on 05/22/05 21:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

We never thought we would shell out $35,000 for a Volvo AWD. But having owned the car now for 7 years, I can honestly say it is the best car we have ever had. It has a feel of extreme quality and runs "like new" to this day. Yes, repairs can be pricy on a $35k car - do people expect differently? The turbo provides plenty of pep, the leather seats are to die for, mileage is fine (19-24). We have had next to zero "fit and finish" problems, unlike our other vehicles which have come and gone. No major accidents, but you know with Volvo you are as safe as you are going to get. If and when this car finally dies (and with only 98000 miles it has a long way to go) I will surely buy another!

A/C Problems
By GailSusan on 03/26/05 22:46 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my third Volvo. Like so many on here, I thought I would be a Volvo owner for life. This was my first new car. I saved up my money and paid almost $40,000 to buy it brand new. Volvo dealer "forgot" to send out the extended warranty, so I missed out on buying it. I wasn't too worried because I maintained my car perfectly. I planned for this car to last for at least the next ten years. Well, two years ago the air conditioning condenser broke and I was told it would cost $200 for the part, but $2,300 for the labor. It seems the entire dashboard has to be removed to reach the condenser. I'm deeply disappointed in the poor quality of this vehicle and am about to unload it.