Used 1998 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Great car for first 120k, but now......?
By Dutchman

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Getting some anxieties about upcoming costs. Volvo shops are VERY expensive. Are they better than local guy? I don't know. So far we had to do only the normal maintenance, but we now also have the loose sway bars, rusting brakes, the tailgate interior loose and the "check engine" light on of which the first repair did not fix it..... Is it falling apart? Selling makes no sense. Trade-in values are horribly low. So from feeling like we were driving the best car of the world, we now are in sticker shock looking at rising repair costs and no good alternative.... A lube job to a squeaking skylight would require its removal @ several hundreds....

Drives well, great ABS, quality body, good mileage, handles well, not noisy.

Too late for that. Volvo has already decided to become more of a luxury brand. They also no longer sell manual transmission, so no more Volvo for us.

Awesome Car
By bobsfrankenbeans

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Coming from a '96 Saturn sw2, this volvo was a huuuuuge upgrade. It's air tight (so much so that your ears pop when opening/closing the sunroof), runs like a charm, and is so stable that I often forget I'm driving in through icy/snow covered roads (as the AWD and Wet setting makes the car hunker down and adjust beautifully to the changing grip). the cabin stays at a nice temperature even with it's -20 out and it warms up within 5 mins. It's super comfortable, good audio, etc. etc. It's not as much fun as the saturn - no doughnuts or snow drifting - but it's certainly safer, warmer, and at an appropriate level to allow giant F-9000s to see you, not matter the weather.

Warm. Safe. Comfortable. So stable, I often find myself going 80+. The accelerator and brake pedals are deep within the cabin which means amazing leg room for tall ppl. stiff pedals = you can rest ur foot on them during long trips... many more i don't have space to mention.

Turn radius. Also, the giant windshield is wonderful but I tend to have to defrost it constantly- and it would be nice if it was like the BMW and had side mirrors that tilt down to the curb as you're backing up..

Money Pit
By Chery Pie

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I have had a V70 for about 5 years. It has been one thing or another. The last straw was the transmission that had to be replaced. I can't wait to unload it and get what...another damn Volvo? Think twice about a Volvo.

Size - not too big not too small. Comfortable.

Interior hardware. Door latches. Needs sturdier bumper - brand new one has cracked after one year.

Just keeps going and going and going!
By Conner

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is absolutely fabulous. 235K miles to date. The most comfortable seats ever made. Super-reliable. High- pressure turbo is fun as heck to drive. The AWD is excellent. Build quality is wonderful. I service the car every 5K and it takes care of me every day. Paint quality is still excellent after 11 years. Interior Materials also exceptional quality. The only issues with the '98s are ABS control modules tend to go out. Strut mounts can wear out causing a "clunk" sound. Replaced wheel bearings. The 3- CD head units don't last. Well worth it, though, factory sound is awesome.

Power, Safety. Style. Functionality.

None

fearful yet tickled
By fearful

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Less than one day after my purchase of an ultra clean silver v70 wagon with 135k and just a few obvious repairs needed. We paid 4995 less 1750 bucks for my somewhat hated kia rio 5 speed no power steering car that I bought new 9 years ago. The mixed reviews tell me I am in for some costly repairs but until then this car seems better for not too much money spent. Also the car insures for much less (60.00 a month full coverage) because of it's high safety rating. We'll see I guess

comfortable seats, wheels body shape steering characteristics

what? no variable wiper also cruise is poorly located and primitive looking