1998 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
A tank but enjoy driving it.
By jawether on 01/06/08 20:32 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I've put 25k on it since buying 15 months ago with 132k. Since then I've replaced the sunroof glass due to a leak (got used one for $75), the emergency brake cables rusted, temperature sending unit went bad, spring seat on top of strut mount failed, refastened the rear hatch panel and a radio bulb burned out. Luckily, I was fortunate to do all these repairs myself except the strut work. When everything is working the car is a joy to drive. Regarding the safety factor, I feel like I'm driving a vault down the road. Bottom line... do not buy a used Volvo with 100k+ unless you can either do most of the maintenance and repairs yourself, or don't mind paying ~$80-100/hr to have the work done.

Never-ending repairs
By adampeart on 07/16/07 17:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I admit it. I fell for the comfort, space and "safety" of my '98 V70XC. I purchased the vehicle used, and everything seemed to function for the first month or two of owning it. Then the onslaught of malfunctions and glitches began. In the two years of owning this car I have had the following work done on it: 3 headlights, 2 tail-lights, 8 new tires, two alignments, CV joint replacement, ABS Control Module($700), Viscous Coupler (drivetrain issue-$1700), 2 sets of brake pads, 4 new rotors, engine mount replacement, and ETM replacement ($700). There is still a long list of comfort features that don't work, but I can't afford to fix - interior lighting, power windows/seats, etc., etc.

Keep the engine, ditch the car
By nancy c on 06/19/07 17:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

The engine in this car has been pretty reliable. And the first five years of owning it were great. Since then it's just been a money pit. The air conditioner has needed major repairs twice. There has seldom been a time when all four power windows functioned; fix one, another breaks. Same with the power locks. ABS very temperamental. Turns off for no reason. Now radio won't work. Inside trim on tailgate is falling off because the cheesy plastic tabs that hold it on broke. Too much money to fix. Every time it needs anything it seems like the bill is at least $1500. The 70,000 mile service was going to be close to $5000 so I'm selling this car. Maybe a mechanic will buy it.

Great wagon
By mrpyromaniac on 06/14/07 22:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Just bought this baby with 150k on her, and she runs GREAT!! I checked everything out, suspension, timing belt, etc. Nothing wrong at all. And this wagon is fun to drive!! I would recommend these vehicles to anyone.

Good car for Volvo savvy enthusiast
By VolvoRottie on 06/10/07 12:44 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Purchased at repo auction and obtained service recs from selling dealer. In time owned, did upgrade to ceramic brake pads and top of the line rotors at minimum cost as a DIY job (I'm a woman!). ABS module out per usual paid $150 to get it fixed - now perfect. Oil changes using Mobil 1 and mann filters. That's it. Now finally a tune up for less than $100 in parts again DIY. This car rocks. Mine is loaded and other than very routine maintenance, knock on wood, it's been good. This year must recharge the Freon.

V70 Very safe
By Yope on 03/26/07 15:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I recently got in quite a nasty accident with my '98 v70 wagon; and boy was I lucky to be in this car than any other... The guys that hit me were both taken to the hospital, and I did not even have a scratch on me.. The Volvo was total loss unfortunately. So safety is definitely my favorite thing about Volvo. Other nice features are sturdiness on the highway, and reliability.

184,000 Miles and still going strong!!
By ryan on 03/23/07 06:29 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I have owned a lot of Volvos, this is by far the best one yet. My car has 184k miles on it and it still going strong. it has only had a few small problems, (MAF, small oil leak and o2 sensor) other then that the car has been great. I drive all the time and this in car is the most comfortable I have ever had. The AWD is great in the Snowbelt where I live. just make sure you keep ALL 4 TIRE's with 2\32 of each other. If you don't you will have to replace the entire AWD system. and when you replace tires you must replace ALL FOUR at once.

bucket of bolts
By tom on 01/11/07 19:03 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

we have carefully serviced this car from the start. while it is reliable (starts every time) its fit and finish from the very first day showed a lack of workmanship and good design. It is very costly to replace ordinary parts such as oxygen sensors, mufflers and pipes and to repair interior problems like interior lights, shoddy plastic interior molding, etc. I will not buy another Volvo.

Extremely pleased owner
By Super v70GLT on 12/26/06 15:51 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Great car inside and out. Very reilable vehicle with only standard maintenance items(e.g. brakes, tires). Excellent power plant and fun to drive - my wife loves it; she takes it on weekends and I get the minivan! Comfort, fuel economy, reliability, classic styling make this my favorite car so far . . . . though I still miss my 1986 760 Turbo wagon. One great car after another, and the walnut trim inside against the tan leather completes the look, comfort and feel of this great wagon. If I had to do it again, I'd have bought this one sooner.

What happened to Volvo?
By E. Knapp on 06/24/06 13:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I have always had a Volvo since the mid 80's. The quality of them, CHEAP Plastic, and way too much for parts and service, almost a 300% mark up on the stuff. The Emissions started acting up and the car will not pass even after spending $1000 on service only to be told it can't be fixed. As well as there is a shake in the front end (no accidents) and been in twice never found out what was wrong. Perfect alignment Never buy another one!