1998 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Poor Reliabilit
By Joannea on 06/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

This Volvo is very poor in reliability.I can't begin to tell what's gone wrong with it. It just a piece of junk. One time, it was in the shop for six weeks,however, they did give me a loaner. I missed the California lemon law because I kept thinking this was the last problem I'd have with it. I wrote Volvo and I got a reply stating what a wonderful car they built. My advice, do a lot of checking amd research before spending money on a Volvo; there are too many fine, reliable vehicles out there. My Volvo dealer has been outstanding and bent over backwards to help me and tocorrect the car's problems.

good all-around AWD vehicle
By diane99 on 06/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

if you can only have one car, this makes the most sense to me. spacious as SUV, safe in snow, handles well

Family Transportation
By 19north on 06/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

The best family transportation you can get: safe, economical, and sporty. Great resale value and excellent reliability too.

I love driving my wagon
By Pastsportscardriver on 06/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I usually buy new car every 4-5 years, but I can't this time. I love my Volvo, and it is a wagon! The seats are comfortable to sit in (mine are leather, the car responds to my every command. All the controls are in the right place. The seat belt adjusts to fit my female 5'4" body (most don't). The cargo space is unbelievable large. I bought a new 35" TV, TV stand and VCR and all fit comfortably, still in their boxes in the cargo area without removing my child seat. The back seat folds down to offer even more room. This car is a keeper.

Planned Obsolescence?
By msharmon on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my 2nd Volvo. I love how it drives. Powerful, very comfortable. I've owned this car for 4 yrs and 6 days, just out of warranty. The worst problems have been the brakes, needs new brakes every 15-20K (unlike my other Volvo), a complete AC compressor replacement, a broken electric seat. Most annoying, the Check Engine light on if the gas cap is not replaced properly. The dealer needs to reset the computer when this happens. I'm 6 days past my warranty and the Check Engine light is on. If it isn't the gas cap, is the dealer willing to help? No. I'm afraid most of my dissatifaction is the dealer. I'm trading for better service. If your city has only one Volvo dealer, beware.

An all around excellent car!
By Jay Jackson on 04/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Have had a 97 volvo wagon and put on 245,000kms in 4 years and the car never had a problem. Speaks for itself why i chose the a 1998 volvo XC cross country with only 50,00kms on it. I love it!

This is a really wonderful machine
By Djavlar on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Having enjoyed driving a 1981 245, a 1989 740, and a 1991 745, I've come to realize that each was a really great machine for me and my family at the time we owned them. Miss the ruggedness of the 245, but don't need that now; prefer the smoother ground-hugging capability of the V70 AWD. Lots of things I could do with the 245 that I don't need to do any more....and couldn't in the V70 if I wanted to. Are Volvos safe? Well, my son totalled my 740 and my daughter totalled the 745, and they're each here to tell the tale....though no longer behind the wheel of anything I own and off my insurance!

I love my Volvo, but...
By badkitty_abc on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

It requires a bit too much maintenance and the O-2 sensor problem is a bit annoying. Overall, I would get another in a heartbeat.

Worth every penny
By AlexS on 03/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Worth every penny I paid for it. As for lowered rating for reliability (9), it's due to the window that got stuck and was replaced (for free - it was still under warranty) with the motor, guides, and everything that goes with it. No other problem whatsoever.

It could have been a good experience
By Sven on 03/14/02 22:16 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Replaced: entire rear suspension, two sets of front sway bar links, rear brakes (twice), front brakes, 02 sensor (twice), master window switch, IP lights, headlights (4!!! times), Lamda sensor...and the list goes on. Nothing ever rendered the car undriveable, and it's a hoot to drive fast in the snow. Much better to drive than any SUV. Dealer is awful in every sense, and Volvo service doesn't couldn't care less. They could have had me "for life," but they blew it.