Used 1998 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

disappointing experience
By peter

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

this is 3rd volvo and maybe last.first 2 gave very good service with 200k miles on each with very minor problems.current vehicle is constant maintenance problem wth endless check engine lights, early tire and brake wearouts, abs problems, emission problems. everything expensive to fix, trade in value low for price of car.getting rid of this irritant, probably won't be back.they used to be great cars and distressing to hear overall poor support from volvo

Favorite Features

solid car good power nice interior

Suggested Improvements

improve brakes,engine control systems that trigger check engine lite, improve customer support or watch them drive away in hondas

i've loved all 4 of my volvos
By bob

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

i've owned 2 245 wagons, this XC, and my wife drives a XC90. need i say more----and i'd buy another. with this '98 XC, my wife was stopped at a light on the saw mill pkwy outside of nyc---2 passengers....rear-ended by a buick that didn't stop---hit her going 45 mph----not a scratch on the three volvo occupants---totaled the buick----we repaired the XC and still runs superbly. with a set of Thule roofracks/adapters--this vehicle almost becomes a small truck. AWD---we live in the hills of new england---not a problem with the volvo. repairs---the usual--let's say if you keep up with preventive maintenance---you won't be stranded or surprised by a huge repair bill. love my volvo wagons.

Never buying another Volvo
By dotk

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new thinking I would have it for 200,000 miles. Now that I've reached 100,000, I'm ready to give it up. I've had the usual complaints that other people mentioned (lights, constantly needing new brakes, Check Engine Light that never goes off). I also spent over $1500 replacing the steering rack at a little over 60,000 miles. I can't tell you how many times the dealer has lied to us about repairs needed (they wanted to replace the A/C coil when it was only a leak). While safe, I'm happy to be getting whatever little I will get as a trade-in and move on.

Favorite Features

Safety.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability - Do something about the infernal Check Engine Light.

Everything we hoped for
By scott

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

We never thought we would shell out $35,000 for a Volvo AWD. But having owned the car now for 7 years, I can honestly say it is the best car we have ever had. It has a feel of extreme quality and runs "like new" to this day. Yes, repairs can be pricy on a $35k car - do people expect differently? The turbo provides plenty of pep, the leather seats are to die for, mileage is fine (19-24). We have had next to zero "fit and finish" problems, unlike our other vehicles which have come and gone. No major accidents, but you know with Volvo you are as safe as you are going to get. If and when this car finally dies (and with only 98000 miles it has a long way to go) I will surely buy another!

Favorite Features

Leather heated adjustable seats, dash layout, superb stereo, bullet-proof 5 cylinder engine, fit and finish, all around top quality.

Suggested Improvements

Volvo's tend to go through brakes a little faster than most, probably due to heaviness of vehicle. Cheap cup holders. Needs adjustable intermittent wipers.

A/C Problems
By GailSusan

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my third Volvo. Like so many on here, I thought I would be a Volvo owner for life. This was my first new car. I saved up my money and paid almost $40,000 to buy it brand new. Volvo dealer "forgot" to send out the extended warranty, so I missed out on buying it. I wasn't too worried because I maintained my car perfectly. I planned for this car to last for at least the next ten years. Well, two years ago the air conditioning condenser broke and I was told it would cost $200 for the part, but $2,300 for the labor. It seems the entire dashboard has to be removed to reach the condenser. I'm deeply disappointed in the poor quality of this vehicle and am about to unload it.

Favorite Features

Handled great in any weather -- snow, ice, rain. Incredible on the road.

Suggested Improvements

Cost of owning has been unbelievably expensive. Repairs have been a nightmare. Perhaps I just got a lemon, but I never dreamed a new car could have so many repairs. I have to sell it as I can't afford the repair bills and because I really need A/C.