1998 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
great family car
By eric on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

We bought a certified used car from a dealer. It is a solid, well-built car, rattle free at 59,000 miles. Good acceleration, quiet cabin, good emergency handling, and great seats. More safety features than most cars.

Great, safe Car
By mariap on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Love the V70 Wagon. Would ultimately love the XC or new XC90, but my wagon is roomy, great to drive and can haul anything. Will drive it till the wheels fall off, at least that's what my husband says. :)

Love my Volvo!!!
By dcdc73 on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought my Volvo used from a used car dealership with 30000 miles on it. I know people may think that I have given it some high ratings, but considering other SUV or wagon alternatives, this car is GREAT!!! Fuel economy is the only real gripe I have. I get approximately 20.8 miles per gallon in mostly city/suburban driving. I just think that the car should be able to do a little better than that. But I have to acknowledge, it is an all wheel drive car and it weighs alot so take that with a grain of salt.

Our Best Car Ever!
By BKM on 08/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

My family purchased a used 1998 V70 XC Wagon and we have absolutely no complaints. The ride is phenominal, especially in snow. Aside from oil changes, we have yet to visit the repair shop. This is our second Volvo wagon (last one was a 94 850). If you're looking for a versatile, powerful, sporty vehicle, you'll like the V70 XC.

Great Family Hauler 4 the Sports Car Dad
By mikefn on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Great alternative to the mini van, especially for those who want sports car performance.

In the Shop Again!!
By JDR on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

The Volvo XC AWD is a reliability nightmare! Mine's in the shop today for the 3rd time in 11 months, and 8,000 miles for check engine light being on. This time, I'm 19 days out of warranty and they're replacing the carbon evaporation canister (the 2nd time in 2 years). The bill is $460.00 and I'm hopping mad! Oh, let's not forget the stupid light bulb I need replaced this go-around too. The one bulb I wish would burn out (check engine) hasn't! I'm seriously contemplating dumping this junky car and return to driving my old, reliable, 140,000 mile, '88 Honda Accord once again.

Drives great, especially to repair shop
By bkw on 08/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Love driving this car - in any weather. Seats are terrific and adjust to any position. Performance - esp. handling - is very good (and I have had Audis and a Porsche before). Just drove 3500 miles on vacation and was rarely uncomfortable. Echoing some other reviews, trips to Volvo repair are WAY too frequent and very expensive. Eats brakes ($1k for all 4) and turn signal bulbs. Front susp supports replaced on both sides ($750 per side), generator, air pump, weld a door hinge ($500 each), it's endless. Fuel usage around 17mpg in city but about 28 on hwy.

V70 T5
By 70rsz28 on 07/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

This car is a sleeper.. very fast and handles very well. I just accumulates milage too fast!

could have been great
By ihateeuro on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

other than being in the shop every ten minutes, the cross country is a great car. if you got the wallet and don't mind loaner cars. the cross country is your car. you will get to know the service techs real well, and they are even less reliable than the car. consistently horrific service that is hard to beat. stay away from european cars. japanese is the way to go. lexus, honda, toyota all better in the long run.

Lots of Troubles
By drc on 07/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

In the first 30 months we owned this car it was in the shop 26 times. Nothing major (except a fuel leak)but lots of minors issues like burned out headlights, rear window that won't roll up and lots of times the "check engine" light came on. Now the leather is separating from the door panel on the drivers door. The troubles just will not stop with this car.