1998 Volvo V70 Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

great car overall
By broadbeard

1998 Volvo V70 Wagon XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased in 2004 with 64,000 miles for my wife, she didn't like the 95 850 turbo wagon because it had too much power. The light pressure turbo and AWD is much better for her. I use high quality parts and do not have tire, brake, or other components wearing out prematurely. Currently have Michelin Harmony and ceramic brakes, best ride of any car I've owned and the AWD makes the snow disappear. Has not left us stranded in 10 years. Not transmission problems, averages 22 MPG, can get 28 MPG on interstate. High quality and good design. As others posted, it is expensive to maintain at dealer. I do most of the work, however, I do have a friend that helps me with more difficult repairs.

Favorite Features

AWD, extensive repair forums and parts found online, cold weather package, seats 7. Reliable, easy to maneuver in traffic. Great handling, adequate power

Suggested Improvements

Could use more headroom, sunroof rubs the top of my head. the AWD is great, however, makes it difficult for some maintenance such as fuel filter replacement and turbo drain tube seal replacement.

tiny pieces of plastic killed the car!
By beth55423

1998 Volvo V70 Wagon XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall, we put 80,000 miles on a used 1998 Volvo, driving about 100 miles away. There was a lot that was good and reliable about the car. But, you know those tiny plastic clips that hold all the interior trim pieces together? In six months we seemed to lose at least one a week. Inside of the back hatch fell off....trim piece above the driver's knees.... the plastic covering the switch for the power windows.... Then the gasket around the door, and the rubber strips on the roof rack... UGH.

Favorite Features

We loved all the little storage spots. People used to tease me about how I always had the right tool or duct tape or what ever they needed, tucked away in the car.

Suggested Improvements

OMG! Please find a better way to attach the trim pieces.

Fix it! No probs...
By neuftimes67

1998 Volvo V70 Wagon XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This year car is easy to fix yourself, Ebay has tons of parts for every issue you may have. Makes me scratch my head when I see people say too much to maintain. well find another person or do yourself. Had this tank over 8 years and 2 kids learn to drive on it. they did not break it maybe a parking lot slam but replace fender and there ya go. Best car for my kids to learn to drive around and I feel they are safe, always starts, never failed ever. all I do is replace the rubber parts and electric stuff, shocks, break pads, took 3 day to replace timing belt but oh well. This car is a Tank. when my car breaks down I take out old reliable. so this Volvo v70x/c is a good buy.

Be careful where and how you get repairs done
By coldjensens

1998 Volvo V70 Wagon XC 4dr Wagon AWD

We just bought a 1998 V70 XC awd with 238,000 miles on it. WE quickly learned something it may be helpful to pass on. Volvo delaership work and Volvo parts will break you. Example: Heater core replacmeent - from Volvo $800. It is a two hour job and you cna do it for less than $200. Or you cna find a good independant mechanic who does not blindly charge book rates and get it done for $400. Front Struts - this needs to be done by a professional unless you have special tools or knowledge, but you cna pay over $1000 at Volvo or about $600 at a decent indy shop. There are quite a few other items that are relatively easy to do yourself and if you find after market parts -

Favorite Features

not too expensive. Favorite featurres are the interior appointments and the build quality (doors go thunk not clang)

Suggested Improvements

Many parts are overengineered and more complex than they need to be. Of course the notorious AWD gearbox should never have been installed on these things. Bypass it or rebuilt it every few years.

What A Great Car
By tostik

1998 Volvo V70 Wagon XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Found a 1998 v70xc last year (2010) at a used car dealership with a 104,000 miles on it. The dealer had all the maintenance records, which showed a trip to the dealership every 5,000 miles. The interior and exterior looked brand new--the back seat looked like it had never been ridden in. Obviously garaged and pampered by the prior owner. I had to fix a broken motor mount, and the rear hatch struts were weak, which I replaced. About $450 for both. It now has a 121,000 miles on it and has been trouble-free. My independent Volvo mechanic is jealous. He says the 1998 and earlier volvos are tougher than the current ones. Finding a good independent volvo mechanic will save you lots of money.

Favorite Features

comfort, reliability, safety, lots of cargo space, 1998 VC AWD good in snow as is the 1999 VC AWD-- after 1999, and before the Haldex II AWD, Volvo lowered the pretensioning on the VC AWD, so the AWD is is not as good until the 2003 xc70. Because of the high pretensioning, be sure you rotate your tires on schedule, without compromise, or you'll damage the AWD on the 1998 and 1999 xc's.

Suggested Improvements

Repairs can be expensive unless you fing a good independent volvo mechanic, or you're a good do-it-yourselfer.

nice
By tom4342

1998 Volvo V70 Wagon GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

i bought used,145k miles has been great so far,check engine light was on,hooked up scanner said misfire on number 3 and 5,wasnt or running reg gas maybe.I think people to over react when a light comes on,yes they are incorrect sometimes,i drove a 94 f-150 for 8 years with the check engine light on and it never failed.Regular maintenance is easy,loads of pickup and great gas mileage,operating or repair costs not an issue for me because i do it myself.

Favorite Features

heated seats

Great car if you have some mechanical aptitude
By johnhondrogen

1998 Volvo V70 Wagon XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I own 2 Volvo XC's. Both with 165,000 mi. I've owned them for 6 years and I think they are one of the best cars Volvo built, aside from the 240 series. A lot of people don't like them because they are expensive to keep and I agree with this if you have someone else do the work. I do most of the work on my cars; I'm not a mechanic but the internet can tell you how to do anything. I'll tackle anything as long as I have the time (even a head rebuild on one of them) If you're looking for a maintenance free car, this isn't it. If you're a shad tree mechanic this is a great car.

Favorite Features

Comfort features, build quality

Money Pit
By lolasluck

1998 Volvo V70 Wagon 4dr Wagon

When I went out on a hunt to buy a reliable car, the first car that came to mind was a volvo. At the time my boyfriend had a 86 volvo 240 wagon and that baby never died on was once. In purchasing this car I thought I bought my work horse. A car that would last me 300k miles easy. Boy was I WRONG!! In the first week the check engine light came on. took the car to many mechanics, even volvo, costing me hundreds in diagnostics fees and still not fixing it. heater went out, that would cost 700 to fix. A/C failed $450 to fix. Timing belt (okay thats a given) water pump.. more and more sensors. one sensor was $350 to replace. door lock broke. the list is endless. DON"T BUY THIS CAR

Favorite Features

Despite the thousands of dollars in repairs... i oddly was attached to the car. She could haul pretty much anything I wanted. I like my bargain shopping and I never missed out on a deal because it couldn't fit in my car I finally sold her, having to fight back some tears but my wallet was thankful

Suggested Improvements

Ford pretty much ruined my respect for volvo. go back to your roots. in life and in cars, it always best.

costs on replacement
By Guiness

1998 Volvo V70 Wagon XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I've own my wagon for 6yrs now,min repairs other than standard parts like timing belts, tires. One area that I ran into now at 201,000 miles is the rear struts. On my car the cost to replace them is $550.00 per side..( will not replace) so I'll live with the bumps or pot holes, but its really not bad. I am known to keep my cars until the engine goes, most of my other volvo's have gone 370,000 miles, so still have 3-4yrs left on this one. One key factor on volvo's, they never need a tune-up. same plugs etc and the car is 13 years old. So if your thinking of this year 1998, go for it...I also own a 1989 saab and that has 250,000 and it looks/drives as good as the day it came off the line.

Favorite Features

Engineering.

Suggested Improvements

Never offer cloth seats again..the only down fall of this car.

Oh my god repairs. No love after 120k.
By dennisonn

1998 Volvo V70 Wagon XC 4dr Wagon AWD

First of all, I love this car, and the Volvo brand. This wagon is excellent, and the engine is to die for! Seriously, just stomp on the gas, that makes a believer out of anyone who laughs at the wagon =). That is if your car is working. When my family purchased this car at 80k, no problems at all! Now at 180k Here's an abbreviated list of repairs I have done/paid for in the past 2 years alone. One faulty computer. Three faulty O2 sensors. Two distributor caps (its fun when the cars stalls while it's raining) Front& Rear Axel, Brake pads, and rotors. Sunroof. Timing belt, radiator, heater core. AC system, various electrical issues, Now a new turbo? No thanks. Massive oil leak. ugh.

Favorite Features

The seats are amazing, front heated and rear bench. Very fun to drive, lots of muscle. Infallible AWD, (NY snow beware). Sporty look... I could go on and on.

Suggested Improvements

Honestly- after 120k, don't even bother. I read something a fellow reviewer's comment "after a timing belt- don't bother" Yeah that sounds right. I'm sure that with a free mechanic or really deep pockets you can get the car to 300k but until then, I'll pass.