Used 1998 Volvo V70 R Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volvo V70 R - Consumer Reviews

R 2.3L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 4-speed Automatic - (10 reviews )

luv it
By precisionmike

1998 Volvo V70 R R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

bought it brand new, and until about an hour ago it was the best car ever. just hit a deer head on and the car will probably be totaled due to cosmetic damage. 165k and it runs smooth as glass. serviced every 5k and doesn't burn a drop of oil and we get 27 to 28 mpg on the highway. not one rust spot on it and we live in new york, the 'winter salt belt'. the R engine is a kick in the pants, we've surprised many a driver with the power and performance. AWD never let us down in snow and ice. some issues with AC and the CD player... other than that normal wear and tear... i will buy another one.

R engine, heated leather seats, AWD, nice wheels, speakers were great for factory spec, good looking car

better CD player... wipers on headlights were worthless

Just keeps going and going and going!
By Conner

1998 Volvo V70 R R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is absolutely fabulous. 235K miles to date. The most comfortable seats ever made. Super-reliable. High- pressure turbo is fun as heck to drive. The AWD is excellent. Build quality is wonderful. I service the car every 5K and it takes care of me every day. Paint quality is still excellent after 11 years. Interior Materials also exceptional quality. The only issues with the '98s are ABS control modules tend to go out. Strut mounts can wear out causing a "clunk" sound. Replaced wheel bearings. The 3- CD head units don't last. Well worth it, though, factory sound is awesome.

Power, Safety. Style. Functionality.

None

184,000 Miles and still going strong!!
By ryan

1998 Volvo V70 R R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I have owned a lot of Volvos, this is by far the best one yet. My car has 184k miles on it and it still going strong. it has only had a few small problems, (MAF, small oil leak and o2 sensor) other then that the car has been great. I drive all the time and this in car is the most comfortable I have ever had. The AWD is great in the Snowbelt where I live. just make sure you keep ALL 4 TIRE's with 2\32 of each other. If you don't you will have to replace the entire AWD system. and when you replace tires you must replace ALL FOUR at once.

AWD, Turbo, Great sound system!!! Heated seats, "Saffron" color, ride and handling, sleeper car.

tougher AWD system and cup holders

Seven Years Now
By Ed

1998 Volvo V70 R R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had this car since new. There were two initial issues. Both were addressed. The car has had some performance modifications by IPD so it is faster than the average V70R. Other than above I have not had any major issues with the car. It has been a pain to pass DEQ not because it has high emmissions but because the computer has a long drive time to re-register data after a battery change. For me it was nice to carry items but think you are in a pretty fast sedan otherwise. Gas mileage is not great. I should also mention that I was T boned once by a car doing and estimated 40 MPH and drove it home. Granted the steering was way out of true. After 7 years I am tired on it though.

Great for hauling dogs

The headlight wipers are Mickey Mouse and parts like most import cars in this class are not the cheapest.

A Wonderful Car
By Northern Man G

1998 Volvo V70 R R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

This has been a wonderful car. It has never let me down and only been in the shop for routine maintenance. I've found that the ABS can be fooled by hitting potholes while braking normally but other than that the car has been a gem.

Acceleration. Cargo net for keeping our 3 labs in the back.

Scuttle and sunroof rattles have been there since new. Not something for a 40,000 car.