1998 Volvo V70 R Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

luv it
By precisionmike

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

bought it brand new, and until about an hour ago it was the best car ever. just hit a deer head on and the car will probably be totaled due to cosmetic damage. 165k and it runs smooth as glass. serviced every 5k and doesn't burn a drop of oil and we get 27 to 28 mpg on the highway. not one rust spot on it and we live in new york, the 'winter salt belt'. the R engine is a kick in the pants, we've surprised many a driver with the power and performance. AWD never let us down in snow and ice. some issues with AC and the CD player... other than that normal wear and tear... i will buy another one.

Favorite Features

R engine, heated leather seats, AWD, nice wheels, speakers were great for factory spec, good looking car

Suggested Improvements

better CD player... wipers on headlights were worthless

Just keeps going and going and going!
By Conner

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is absolutely fabulous. 235K miles to date. The most comfortable seats ever made. Super-reliable. High- pressure turbo is fun as heck to drive. The AWD is excellent. Build quality is wonderful. I service the car every 5K and it takes care of me every day. Paint quality is still excellent after 11 years. Interior Materials also exceptional quality. The only issues with the '98s are ABS control modules tend to go out. Strut mounts can wear out causing a "clunk" sound. Replaced wheel bearings. The 3- CD head units don't last. Well worth it, though, factory sound is awesome.

Favorite Features

Power, Safety. Style. Functionality.

Suggested Improvements

None

184,000 Miles and still going strong!!
By ryan

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I have owned a lot of Volvos, this is by far the best one yet. My car has 184k miles on it and it still going strong. it has only had a few small problems, (MAF, small oil leak and o2 sensor) other then that the car has been great. I drive all the time and this in car is the most comfortable I have ever had. The AWD is great in the Snowbelt where I live. just make sure you keep ALL 4 TIRE's with 2\32 of each other. If you don't you will have to replace the entire AWD system. and when you replace tires you must replace ALL FOUR at once.

Favorite Features

AWD, Turbo, Great sound system!!! Heated seats, "Saffron" color, ride and handling, sleeper car.

Suggested Improvements

tougher AWD system and cup holders

Seven Years Now
By Ed

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had this car since new. There were two initial issues. Both were addressed. The car has had some performance modifications by IPD so it is faster than the average V70R. Other than above I have not had any major issues with the car. It has been a pain to pass DEQ not because it has high emmissions but because the computer has a long drive time to re-register data after a battery change. For me it was nice to carry items but think you are in a pretty fast sedan otherwise. Gas mileage is not great. I should also mention that I was T boned once by a car doing and estimated 40 MPH and drove it home. Granted the steering was way out of true. After 7 years I am tired on it though.

Favorite Features

Great for hauling dogs

Suggested Improvements

The headlight wipers are Mickey Mouse and parts like most import cars in this class are not the cheapest.

A Wonderful Car
By Northern Man G

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

This has been a wonderful car. It has never let me down and only been in the shop for routine maintenance. I've found that the ABS can be fooled by hitting potholes while braking normally but other than that the car has been a gem.

Favorite Features

Acceleration. Cargo net for keeping our 3 labs in the back.

Suggested Improvements

Scuttle and sunroof rattles have been there since new. Not something for a 40,000 car.

Fun when it lasted
By volvoding

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car to start with but growing list of repairs is a dissapointment. Our first and maybe last volvo. Replaced turbo seals, front and rear rotars, brake pads every 10k, tires at 30k CV joint (not sold as an individual unit, thus costing $1,000) and the most amazing thing, put the same sized new tires but different manufacturer that created instant wear on the transmission almost resulting in a $3000 repair job. Watch out for AWD and turbo's. Honestly this sounds like a design flaw that volvo places on the consumer and tire companies.

Favorite Features

Accelaration, handling, overall performance.

Suggested Improvements

More forgiving highway ride, more resillant paint job.

I don't think it gets any better!
By mrpresident911

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

1 year and 25,000 miles of ownership have been examplary. Now has 106k miles. Rims are gorgeous and easy to keep clean with OE brake pads. Just wax them and keep them hosed off. Love this car!

Favorite Features

AWD system was incredible this winter. This Spring I dragged out my BMW only to get dumped 6" more snow. The BMW would barely move! Even with same Michelin 205/55/16 Pilots on both cars the R was a screamer all winter!

Suggested Improvements

Rock chips on the front bumper cover and fragile headlamps are annoying. Rear bumper could use a non-painted trim piece on the floor ext of the bumper. Paint is not forgiving!

Never Again
By Not A Happy Camper

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

We purchased this vehicle used to replace a 1988 Volvo 740. We should have kept the 740! This car has spent more time in the shop than my previous 10 cars of many different makes. My problem areas have been A.C, anti lock brakes, air pump and check valve, cd player, just to name the major areas. Don't think that Volve will come to your aid after the warranty period. If you need an awd wagon,look at the Mercedes of this era. I know I am!

Favorite Features

I just love the way that the "check engine" light comes on at the most inappropriate times i.e. when I'm trying to sell this thing.

Suggested Improvements

Jack up the radiator cap and slide a real car underneath.

Great Looks, But that's all folks
By Not Pleased

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I have loved Volvos all my life. I have an '83 DL that is still kicking with 240000 miles. My '98 V70 R AWD is another story. It rides like a logging truck, yet all is fine.It has a jerk in the trans that will drive you insane. It has been in the shop a total of 32 days since Feb of this year. I love the color, the engine performance (lots of power), the comforts and safety - but this is not a car I will keep. I drive the '83 more and enjoy it a hell of alot more!

Favorite Features

Beautiful Saufron Color - 6 disc changer in back/3 in dash. Beautiful

Suggested Improvements

Quality control needs to be fired for not doing their job.

Love my Volvo!!!
By dcdc73

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought my Volvo used from a used car dealership with 30000 miles on it. I know people may think that I have given it some high ratings, but considering other SUV or wagon alternatives, this car is GREAT!!! Fuel economy is the only real gripe I have. I get approximately 20.8 miles per gallon in mostly city/suburban driving. I just think that the car should be able to do a little better than that. But I have to acknowledge, it is an all wheel drive car and it weighs alot so take that with a grain of salt.

Favorite Features

all wheel drive, comfortable heated suede seats, cargo room, power, dual zone AC, smooth AC fan control(not segmented like most cars), SAFETY

Suggested Improvements

make more compliant ride; quieter engine when accelerating; replace 3CD changer with 6disc version; full size spare. slight wind buffeting noise when driving at highway speeds with the rear windows open; slight squeak in one of the doors(requires a little lube spray).