1998 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Money Pit
By lolasluck on 10/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

When I went out on a hunt to buy a reliable car, the first car that came to mind was a volvo. At the time my boyfriend had a 86 volvo 240 wagon and that baby never died on was once. In purchasing this car I thought I bought my work horse. A car that would last me 300k miles easy. Boy was I WRONG!! In the first week the check engine light came on. took the car to many mechanics, even volvo, costing me hundreds in diagnostics fees and still not fixing it. heater went out, that would cost 700 to fix. A/C failed $450 to fix. Timing belt (okay thats a given) water pump.. more and more sensors. one sensor was $350 to replace. door lock broke. the list is endless. DON"T BUY THIS CAR

Good car, but some parts are non durable
By Michael L on 05/03/10 23:12 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

This wagon has been very useful and never let me down on the road. I have driven this wagon to different long distance journey and it treated me well. However for a 12 year car with 142,000 miles, I do expect some wear and tear, but for some reason the most critical part of this wagon went out which was the passenger door lock where I couldn't get it to lock and could not get the rear cargo door to lock in it's place and I had to get it repaired otherwise there is possible internal theft. Both front driver and passenger door hinges had to be replaced because they broke of old age which was costly. There are a few more minor wear and tear items that went out.

Mechanical Cascade Failure
By Plantiful on 01/16/10 06:44 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Bought this car, used, and it was fine until it was maintenance time. Once you need a clutch and/or timing belt replacement, it is downhill from there: Since April, we have replaced the braking system, a leaking drive boot/seal, heating core and 2 window motors (did myself), a seat belt that would not release, a power steering rack 2 weeks ago, and this week, we are featuring a mysterious motor-oil leak of some significance. Most of the interior plastic is broken, as it is some cheap junk Ford must have introduced, paint has been off of the bumpers for some time. After 120,000 miles, just say "No".

I Paid for it 2X's
By CD Barnett on 11/03/09 19:57 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I have paid for the car at least twice in repairs. I love the look of the car and the carrying capacity, but the repairs have done me in. I am looking for another car.

Great car for first 120k, but now......?
By Dutchman on 10/22/09 18:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Getting some anxieties about upcoming costs. Volvo shops are VERY expensive. Are they better than local guy? I don't know. So far we had to do only the normal maintenance, but we now also have the loose sway bars, rusting brakes, the tailgate interior loose and the "check engine" light on of which the first repair did not fix it..... Is it falling apart? Selling makes no sense. Trade-in values are horribly low. So from feeling like we were driving the best car of the world, we now are in sticker shock looking at rising repair costs and no good alternative.... A lube job to a squeaking skylight would require its removal @ several hundreds....

Money Pit
By Chery Pie on 09/28/09 21:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I have had a V70 for about 5 years. It has been one thing or another. The last straw was the transmission that had to be replaced. I can't wait to unload it and get what...another damn Volvo? Think twice about a Volvo.

fearful yet tickled
By fearful on 06/06/09 09:55 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Less than one day after my purchase of an ultra clean silver v70 wagon with 135k and just a few obvious repairs needed. We paid 4995 less 1750 bucks for my somewhat hated kia rio 5 speed no power steering car that I bought new 9 years ago. The mixed reviews tell me I am in for some costly repairs but until then this car seems better for not too much money spent. Also the car insures for much less (60.00 a month full coverage) because of it's high safety rating. We'll see I guess

1998 Volvo V70 Wagon
By Pablo on 02/13/08 11:40 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

It's an expensive car with cheap hardware. It's fun to drive, somewhat economical on gas, fairly comfortable, very expensive to maintain compared to other cars I have owned. I would not buy another Volvo, as much I have always liked and admired them.

V70 Very safe
By Yope on 03/26/07 15:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I recently got in quite a nasty accident with my '98 v70 wagon; and boy was I lucky to be in this car than any other... The guys that hit me were both taken to the hospital, and I did not even have a scratch on me.. The Volvo was total loss unfortunately. So safety is definitely my favorite thing about Volvo. Other nice features are sturdiness on the highway, and reliability.

bucket of bolts
By tom on 01/11/07 19:03 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

we have carefully serviced this car from the start. while it is reliable (starts every time) its fit and finish from the very first day showed a lack of workmanship and good design. It is very costly to replace ordinary parts such as oxygen sensors, mufflers and pipes and to repair interior problems like interior lights, shoddy plastic interior molding, etc. I will not buy another Volvo.