Used 1998 Volvo V70 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Money Pit
By lolasluck

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

When I went out on a hunt to buy a reliable car, the first car that came to mind was a volvo. At the time my boyfriend had a 86 volvo 240 wagon and that baby never died on was once. In purchasing this car I thought I bought my work horse. A car that would last me 300k miles easy. Boy was I WRONG!! In the first week the check engine light came on. took the car to many mechanics, even volvo, costing me hundreds in diagnostics fees and still not fixing it. heater went out, that would cost 700 to fix. A/C failed $450 to fix. Timing belt (okay thats a given) water pump.. more and more sensors. one sensor was $350 to replace. door lock broke. the list is endless. DON"T BUY THIS CAR

Favorite Features

Despite the thousands of dollars in repairs... i oddly was attached to the car. She could haul pretty much anything I wanted. I like my bargain shopping and I never missed out on a deal because it couldn't fit in my car I finally sold her, having to fight back some tears but my wallet was thankful

Suggested Improvements

Ford pretty much ruined my respect for volvo. go back to your roots. in life and in cars, it always best.

Good car, but some parts are non durable
By Michael L

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

This wagon has been very useful and never let me down on the road. I have driven this wagon to different long distance journey and it treated me well. However for a 12 year car with 142,000 miles, I do expect some wear and tear, but for some reason the most critical part of this wagon went out which was the passenger door lock where I couldn't get it to lock and could not get the rear cargo door to lock in it's place and I had to get it repaired otherwise there is possible internal theft. Both front driver and passenger door hinges had to be replaced because they broke of old age which was costly. There are a few more minor wear and tear items that went out.

Favorite Features

I like the fact that the transversely mounted 5 cylinder engine is solidly made. This engine looks simple to work on especially when it is non-turbo. The acceleration & braking is smooth and responsive. The transmission feels solid when driving. The operating features are simple & user friendly.

Suggested Improvements

The quality of the door panels, they foamed as a bubble due to old age. Volvo needs to use better quality plastic parts on the armrest cup holders, rear ashtray console, rear cargo door panel, and steering column. I have seen leather seats on these models deteriorate terribly because of low quality.

Mechanical Cascade Failure
By Plantiful

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Bought this car, used, and it was fine until it was maintenance time. Once you need a clutch and/or timing belt replacement, it is downhill from there: Since April, we have replaced the braking system, a leaking drive boot/seal, heating core and 2 window motors (did myself), a seat belt that would not release, a power steering rack 2 weeks ago, and this week, we are featuring a mysterious motor-oil leak of some significance. Most of the interior plastic is broken, as it is some cheap junk Ford must have introduced, paint has been off of the bumpers for some time. After 120,000 miles, just say "No".

Favorite Features

Besides my visits to the garage, the space, the third seat in the back.

Suggested Improvements

Re-introduce quality into the vehicles.

I Paid for it 2X's
By CD Barnett

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I have paid for the car at least twice in repairs. I love the look of the car and the carrying capacity, but the repairs have done me in. I am looking for another car.

Favorite Features

Looks. Carrying capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Mechanical

Great car for first 120k, but now......?
By Dutchman

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Getting some anxieties about upcoming costs. Volvo shops are VERY expensive. Are they better than local guy? I don't know. So far we had to do only the normal maintenance, but we now also have the loose sway bars, rusting brakes, the tailgate interior loose and the "check engine" light on of which the first repair did not fix it..... Is it falling apart? Selling makes no sense. Trade-in values are horribly low. So from feeling like we were driving the best car of the world, we now are in sticker shock looking at rising repair costs and no good alternative.... A lube job to a squeaking skylight would require its removal @ several hundreds....

Favorite Features

Drives well, great ABS, quality body, good mileage, handles well, not noisy.

Suggested Improvements

Too late for that. Volvo has already decided to become more of a luxury brand. They also no longer sell manual transmission, so no more Volvo for us.