Used 1998 Volvo V70 GLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

nice
By tom4342

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

i bought used,145k miles has been great so far,check engine light was on,hooked up scanner said misfire on number 3 and 5,wasnt or running reg gas maybe.I think people to over react when a light comes on,yes they are incorrect sometimes,i drove a 94 f-150 for 8 years with the check engine light on and it never failed.Regular maintenance is easy,loads of pickup and great gas mileage,operating or repair costs not an issue for me because i do it myself.

heated seats

Nice Car
By Ryan

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

This was my first car, and I still own and like it a lot. So far, the only repair I had done was the front left brake caliper. A seal went bad allowing water to get to the inside causing rust so it didn't release all the way when I let off the brake. Labor is whats most expensive. You can find cheaper refurbished parts from Volvo, which is what I did. Its a heavier car, so it goes through tires faster than others. Fuel economy is okay, it seems to do better with premium. The body and appearance is fantastic. It still looks new 11 years later. I'd like to get larger factory Volvo wheels, as the 15" wheels it came with look oddly small compared to the larger body.

The heated seats. The engine power, so long as you keep it maintained. Large online community of enthusiasts to back you up if you have problems.

The little electrical problems people seem to have. A manual would be nice. The automatic has a torque limiter, I believe.

Highway Star
By Keith

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

I purchased the car from the original, private buyer at 70K; it now has 140K. It still burns no oil. It's been great. Replaced the silly rear hatch panel fastening system cheaply when it failed. (inexpensive kit.) One front wheel bearing whined until it was fixed for a couple of hundred bucks. Really, the perfect car if you like to haul stuff, and feel safe, comfortable and secure. Find a trusted mechanic to keep an eye on things (same for any car) and you'll grow very attached. The engine is excellent and sturdy. Quality, comfort and fun and you can fit your stuff in it.

Perfect seats, excellent driving position, good engine and sound system. It takes one down the road in comfort, with plenty of power and provides excellent sound.

Little stuff: the fastners for the tailgate panel, perhaps more robust materials for the front cup holders (both well-known minor issues in the Volvo forums).

Keep the engine, ditch the car
By nancy c

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

The engine in this car has been pretty reliable. And the first five years of owning it were great. Since then it's just been a money pit. The air conditioner has needed major repairs twice. There has seldom been a time when all four power windows functioned; fix one, another breaks. Same with the power locks. ABS very temperamental. Turns off for no reason. Now radio won't work. Inside trim on tailgate is falling off because the cheesy plastic tabs that hold it on broke. Too much money to fix. Every time it needs anything it seems like the bill is at least $1500. The 70,000 mile service was going to be close to $5000 so I'm selling this car. Maybe a mechanic will buy it.

Safety. Decent radio, when/if it works.

Some quality control would be nice.

Extremely pleased owner
By Super v70GLT

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Great car inside and out. Very reilable vehicle with only standard maintenance items(e.g. brakes, tires). Excellent power plant and fun to drive - my wife loves it; she takes it on weekends and I get the minivan! Comfort, fuel economy, reliability, classic styling make this my favorite car so far . . . . though I still miss my 1986 760 Turbo wagon. One great car after another, and the walnut trim inside against the tan leather completes the look, comfort and feel of this great wagon. If I had to do it again, I'd have bought this one sooner.

Leather, heated, comfy seats with memory feature for two. GLTurbo!! Great sound-system. Walnut trim. Traction control. Fold down seats. Power plant - goes like Jack the Bear and cruises beautifully.

One or two more inches back on the drivers seat for tall folks. That's it!