1998 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
nice
By tom4342 on 03/11/11 18:07 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

i bought used,145k miles has been great so far,check engine light was on,hooked up scanner said misfire on number 3 and 5,wasnt or running reg gas maybe.I think people to over react when a light comes on,yes they are incorrect sometimes,i drove a 94 f-150 for 8 years with the check engine light on and it never failed.Regular maintenance is easy,loads of pickup and great gas mileage,operating or repair costs not an issue for me because i do it myself.

Nice Car
By Ryan on 01/22/10 12:31 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

This was my first car, and I still own and like it a lot. So far, the only repair I had done was the front left brake caliper. A seal went bad allowing water to get to the inside causing rust so it didn't release all the way when I let off the brake. Labor is whats most expensive. You can find cheaper refurbished parts from Volvo, which is what I did. Its a heavier car, so it goes through tires faster than others. Fuel economy is okay, it seems to do better with premium. The body and appearance is fantastic. It still looks new 11 years later. I'd like to get larger factory Volvo wheels, as the 15" wheels it came with look oddly small compared to the larger body.

Highway Star
By Keith on 08/22/08 07:59 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

I purchased the car from the original, private buyer at 70K; it now has 140K. It still burns no oil. It's been great. Replaced the silly rear hatch panel fastening system cheaply when it failed. (inexpensive kit.) One front wheel bearing whined until it was fixed for a couple of hundred bucks. Really, the perfect car if you like to haul stuff, and feel safe, comfortable and secure. Find a trusted mechanic to keep an eye on things (same for any car) and you'll grow very attached. The engine is excellent and sturdy. Quality, comfort and fun and you can fit your stuff in it.

Keep the engine, ditch the car
By nancy c on 06/19/07 17:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

The engine in this car has been pretty reliable. And the first five years of owning it were great. Since then it's just been a money pit. The air conditioner has needed major repairs twice. There has seldom been a time when all four power windows functioned; fix one, another breaks. Same with the power locks. ABS very temperamental. Turns off for no reason. Now radio won't work. Inside trim on tailgate is falling off because the cheesy plastic tabs that hold it on broke. Too much money to fix. Every time it needs anything it seems like the bill is at least $1500. The 70,000 mile service was going to be close to $5000 so I'm selling this car. Maybe a mechanic will buy it.

Extremely pleased owner
By Super v70GLT on 12/26/06 15:51 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Great car inside and out. Very reilable vehicle with only standard maintenance items(e.g. brakes, tires). Excellent power plant and fun to drive - my wife loves it; she takes it on weekends and I get the minivan! Comfort, fuel economy, reliability, classic styling make this my favorite car so far . . . . though I still miss my 1986 760 Turbo wagon. One great car after another, and the walnut trim inside against the tan leather completes the look, comfort and feel of this great wagon. If I had to do it again, I'd have bought this one sooner.

poor quality/reliability vehicle
By unhappyv70glt on 10/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Purchased vehicle to get safest car for my family. Found multiple areas of poor reliability: oxygen sensors, brakes, turbo oil-line return seal- and now at 80K the ABS/Traction control computer is out ($700). Maint. costs in 7 yrs= $6500. Selling vehicle because I can't take it anymore.

Performance Wagon
By Jim in Ma. on 08/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Overall I really like it especially as a highway cruiser. On smooth pavement it rides firm and comfortable and has a huge amount of power w/ good gas mileage. I would have been disapointed if I paid big bucks as a new car. I paid 14k w/ 75,000 miles.

Why so inconsistant??????
By golfnuttb on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

I'm just about to sell my V70 GLT. I have loved this car. But as the car approaches 100K I look else where. I use a car hard. I put on about 35- 40K/year and I'm leary of driving it past 100K because of the inconsistancy in the reviews that I read. I would love to think I could drive it to 200K.

Former Volvo Fan
By justsayno on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Purchased used V70 GLT Wagon with 60k miles and I have had nothing but problems. Car even came with all service records. Great to drive, very comfortable and lots of space. BUT car was in the shop FIVE times over an eight month period and I have paid almost $7k in repairs. I am in the process of selling. Volvo (sorry.....Ford) needs to make a more reilable car.

This Volvo is excellent
By nernin on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

This V70GLT is the first sold in US, March 97. I have had one problem with this car. The dealerships have seen this car only once for an ABS sensor.