Used 1998 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

great car overall
By broadbeard

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased in 2004 with 64,000 miles for my wife, she didn't like the 95 850 turbo wagon because it had too much power. The light pressure turbo and AWD is much better for her. I use high quality parts and do not have tire, brake, or other components wearing out prematurely. Currently have Michelin Harmony and ceramic brakes, best ride of any car I've owned and the AWD makes the snow disappear. Has not left us stranded in 10 years. Not transmission problems, averages 22 MPG, can get 28 MPG on interstate. High quality and good design. As others posted, it is expensive to maintain at dealer. I do most of the work, however, I do have a friend that helps me with more difficult repairs.

Favorite Features

AWD, extensive repair forums and parts found online, cold weather package, seats 7. Reliable, easy to maneuver in traffic. Great handling, adequate power

Suggested Improvements

Could use more headroom, sunroof rubs the top of my head. the AWD is great, however, makes it difficult for some maintenance such as fuel filter replacement and turbo drain tube seal replacement.

tiny pieces of plastic killed the car!
By beth55423

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall, we put 80,000 miles on a used 1998 Volvo, driving about 100 miles away. There was a lot that was good and reliable about the car. But, you know those tiny plastic clips that hold all the interior trim pieces together? In six months we seemed to lose at least one a week. Inside of the back hatch fell off....trim piece above the driver's knees.... the plastic covering the switch for the power windows.... Then the gasket around the door, and the rubber strips on the roof rack... UGH.

Favorite Features

We loved all the little storage spots. People used to tease me about how I always had the right tool or duct tape or what ever they needed, tucked away in the car.

Suggested Improvements

OMG! Please find a better way to attach the trim pieces.

Fix it! No probs...
By neuftimes67

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This year car is easy to fix yourself, Ebay has tons of parts for every issue you may have. Makes me scratch my head when I see people say too much to maintain. well find another person or do yourself. Had this tank over 8 years and 2 kids learn to drive on it. they did not break it maybe a parking lot slam but replace fender and there ya go. Best car for my kids to learn to drive around and I feel they are safe, always starts, never failed ever. all I do is replace the rubber parts and electric stuff, shocks, break pads, took 3 day to replace timing belt but oh well. This car is a Tank. when my car breaks down I take out old reliable. so this Volvo v70x/c is a good buy.

Be careful where and how you get repairs done
By coldjensens

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

We just bought a 1998 V70 XC awd with 238,000 miles on it. WE quickly learned something it may be helpful to pass on. Volvo delaership work and Volvo parts will break you. Example: Heater core replacmeent - from Volvo $800. It is a two hour job and you cna do it for less than $200. Or you cna find a good independant mechanic who does not blindly charge book rates and get it done for $400. Front Struts - this needs to be done by a professional unless you have special tools or knowledge, but you cna pay over $1000 at Volvo or about $600 at a decent indy shop. There are quite a few other items that are relatively easy to do yourself and if you find after market parts -

Favorite Features

not too expensive. Favorite featurres are the interior appointments and the build quality (doors go thunk not clang)

Suggested Improvements

Many parts are overengineered and more complex than they need to be. Of course the notorious AWD gearbox should never have been installed on these things. Bypass it or rebuilt it every few years.

What A Great Car
By tostik

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Found a 1998 v70xc last year (2010) at a used car dealership with a 104,000 miles on it. The dealer had all the maintenance records, which showed a trip to the dealership every 5,000 miles. The interior and exterior looked brand new--the back seat looked like it had never been ridden in. Obviously garaged and pampered by the prior owner. I had to fix a broken motor mount, and the rear hatch struts were weak, which I replaced. About $450 for both. It now has a 121,000 miles on it and has been trouble-free. My independent Volvo mechanic is jealous. He says the 1998 and earlier volvos are tougher than the current ones. Finding a good independent volvo mechanic will save you lots of money.

Favorite Features

comfort, reliability, safety, lots of cargo space, 1998 VC AWD good in snow as is the 1999 VC AWD-- after 1999, and before the Haldex II AWD, Volvo lowered the pretensioning on the VC AWD, so the AWD is is not as good until the 2003 xc70. Because of the high pretensioning, be sure you rotate your tires on schedule, without compromise, or you'll damage the AWD on the 1998 and 1999 xc's.

Suggested Improvements

Repairs can be expensive unless you fing a good independent volvo mechanic, or you're a good do-it-yourselfer.