Used 1998 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

1998 Volvo V70

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Safe old reliable built like a tank
By K Mad

1998 Volvo V70 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Love this car! Although it is 18 years old, it offers solid handling and a smooth ride. It lacks the bells and whistles of the newer model but it's basic offerings are solid and reliable... Very few repairs in my 16 years of ownership and still going!
Can even fit my 10+ ft kayak inside and be able to close the hatch safely! Great alternative to a mini-van!

great car overall
By broadbeard

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased in 2004 with 64,000 miles for my wife, she didn't like the 95 850 turbo wagon because it had too much power.
The light pressure turbo and AWD is much better for her.
I use high quality parts and do not have tire, brake, or other components wearing out prematurely.
Currently have Michelin Harmony and ceramic brakes, best ride of any car I've owned and the AWD makes the snow disappear.
Has not left us stranded in 10 years.
Not transmission problems, averages 22 MPG, can get 28 MPG on interstate.
High quality and good design.
As others posted, it is expensive to maintain at dealer.
I do most of the work, however, I do have a friend that helps me with more difficult repairs.

AWD, extensive repair forums and parts found online, cold weather package, seats 7. Reliable, easy to maneuver in traffic. Great handling, adequate power

Could use more headroom, sunroof rubs the top of my head. the AWD is great, however, makes it difficult for some maintenance such as fuel filter replacement and turbo drain tube seal replacement.

tiny pieces of plastic killed the car!
By beth55423

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall, we put 80,000 miles on a used 1998 Volvo, driving about 100 miles away. There was a lot that was good and reliable about the car.
But, you know those tiny plastic clips that hold all the interior trim pieces together? In six months we seemed to lose at least one a week. Inside of the back hatch fell off....trim piece above the driver's knees.... the plastic covering the switch for the power windows.... Then the gasket around the door, and the rubber strips on the roof rack... UGH.

We loved all the little storage spots. People used to tease me about how I always had the right tool or duct tape or what ever they needed, tucked away in the car.

OMG! Please find a better way to attach the trim pieces.

Fix it! No probs...
By neuftimes67

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This year car is easy to fix yourself, Ebay has tons of parts for every issue you may have. Makes me scratch my head when I see people say too much to maintain. well find another person or do yourself. Had this tank over 8 years and 2 kids learn to drive on it. they did not break it maybe a parking lot slam but replace fender and there ya go. Best car for my kids to learn to drive around and I feel they are safe, always starts, never failed ever. all I do is replace the rubber parts and electric stuff, shocks, break pads, took 3 day to replace timing belt but oh well. This car is a Tank. when my car breaks down I take out old reliable. so this Volvo v70x/c is a good buy.

Be careful where and how you get repairs done
By coldjensens

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

We just bought a 1998 V70 XC awd with 238,000 miles on it.
WE quickly learned something it may be helpful to pass on.
Volvo delaership work and Volvo parts will break you.

Example:

Heater core replacmeent
- from Volvo $800.

It is a two hour job and you cna do it for less than $200.
Or you cna find a good independant mechanic who does not blindly charge book rates and get it done for $400.

Front Struts - this needs to be done by a professional unless you have special tools or knowledge, but you cna pay over $1000 at Volvo or about $600 at a decent indy shop.

There are quite a few other items that are relatively easy to do yourself and if you find after market parts -

not too expensive. Favorite featurres are the interior appointments and the build quality (doors go thunk not clang)

Many parts are overengineered and more complex than they need to be. Of course the notorious AWD gearbox should never have been installed on these things. Bypass it or rebuilt it every few years.