Used 2009 Volvo V50 T5 R-Design Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V50 model:

Correction of husband's review
By sally34

2009 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 R-Design 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have just become aware that on 4-14-10, "Tom" offered a review of our 2009 Volvo V50 T5 Awd R design 4dr wagon. We have previously owned 5 Volvo wagons since l971, each of which was "my" car,and our adult children have had six Volvos. Tom's criticism of my V50 was a little harsh, and unfair to compare it to our larger, more substantial wagons, the last of which was traded in on the V50 simply to reduce the turning circle from 43'+ to 35'+. The keyless entry has caused hassle and extra expense. Volvo recently changed the cap for driver's door..... let's hope it works!!

Favorite Features

tight turning circle, visibility, peppy performance

Suggested Improvements

Please improve all aspects of the keyless entry system or just eliminate it all-together. If possible, raise the air dam a couple of inches.

Nuisance problems !!
By Tom

2009 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 R-Design 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The "no key system" has a small cap for driver's door lock. This has fallen off on its own 3 times. $90.00 each time to order, have painted,etc. The front airfoil/dam is too low, rubs on curbs, and is frequently scratched/damaged. $650.00+ to replace. The rear roof tapers down so much that load capacity is severely limited, and this includes large dogs who bump their heads on entry. Mileage is about 20. The manual supports use of 87 Octane and up. We have owned 5 previous Volvo wagons going back to 1971. This vehicle doesn't compete !! Worried for the future of Volvo!!

Favorite Features

Steering radius!

Suggested Improvements

Open up the cargo area to make it more user friendly!! Raise the front lower edge (air dam) ! Get rid of the small No Key system cap on driver's door, or, at least, supply several with purchase of this option.

Why Subaru copies VOLVO!
By The Bird

2009 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 R-Design 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is the main reason Subaru is in existence...to offer a cheaply made alternative to people that can't quite afford a premium European brand. This car has it all! It's equipped with a Haldex AWD system years ahead of the Subaru technology. Lower noise than the subaru. "Safe and Sound" warranty 5 years of cost free ownership is unmatched in the industry! I will only need to pay for tires and gas for 5 years! It is above average in every respect.

Favorite Features

Scandinavian design throughout. Don't confuse with boring! The amenities are there when you need them, but not begging for attention like my wife's Toyota (lexus ES350). Ability to fold the seats down to load all our gear is fantastic!

Suggested Improvements

I don't see the need to increase power. I don't like annoying Turbo whines like the subaru, so the T5 is perfect. I think the design needs a little touch up, but all things said, it's about as perfect as could be for me. Before buying...research resale value. Very amazing! Volvo's hold value!

pricey but nice
By crs

2009 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 R-Design 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

V50 R, is my 4th Volvo (still have XC90 and C30, recently traded xc70) First impression is the V5o isn't up t the high standard of the others. I really got the feeling that I was in a rebadged Focus. Funny thing is though this car can grow you on. The comforts are subtle. Performance is great, handling is top notch( unless you hit bumps then you feel the sport suspension) For city driving with the kids it is perfect, neither too small( C30, nor too big XC90) Volvo has switched to this clunky menu/ enter / select / exit audio and phone control system which stinks. Huge distraction which ought not be tried while driving. Odd development for a car that promotes safety. The previous was better

Favorite Features

Turbo, sweet pull off, no noticeable lag. The dash notifies you when the kids put on seatbelts.... nice touch.

Suggested Improvements

thin out the front pillars- they obstructed front end vision too much. Get rid of audio / phone menus, bring back the old system. Parking sensors wouldn't hurt. Add home link

Great small wagon
By Nick

2009 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 R-Design 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Greatly enjoy the car. Feels safe and is quick and fun to drive. Not quite as quick as my wifes' BMW and has slight turbo lag but much less than previous turbos I have owned. Used to go skiing many times this winter without any problems. Very practical and reasonable mileage. The car is attractive and distinct. Interior is very comfortable but back seat is cramped for adults.

Favorite Features

Attractive exterior, blind-spot (BLISS) detection, front seats and interior, keyless entry

Suggested Improvements

Extra 2-3 inches clearance in the back seat. Rear seat to fold down flat. Although it is as quiet as a BMW 3 series I wish the road noise was less.