2009 Volvo V50 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V50 model:
Correction of husband's review
By sally34 on 05/21/11 20:25 PM (PDT)

2009 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 R-Design 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have just become aware that on 4-14-10, "Tom" offered a review of our 2009 Volvo V50 T5 Awd R design 4dr wagon. We have previously owned 5 Volvo wagons since l971, each of which was "my" car,and our adult children have had six Volvos. Tom's criticism of my V50 was a little harsh, and unfair to compare it to our larger, more substantial wagons, the last of which was traded in on the V50 simply to reduce the turning circle from 43'+ to 35'+. The keyless entry has caused hassle and extra expense. Volvo recently changed the cap for driver's door..... let's hope it works!!

Nuisance problems !!
By Tom on 04/14/10 04:34 AM (PDT)

2009 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 R-Design 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The "no key system" has a small cap for driver's door lock. This has fallen off on its own 3 times. $90.00 each time to order, have painted,etc. The front airfoil/dam is too low, rubs on curbs, and is frequently scratched/damaged. $650.00+ to replace. The rear roof tapers down so much that load capacity is severely limited, and this includes large dogs who bump their heads on entry. Mileage is about 20. The manual supports use of 87 Octane and up. We have owned 5 previous Volvo wagons going back to 1971. This vehicle doesn't compete !! Worried for the future of Volvo!!

Why Subaru copies VOLVO!
By The Bird on 01/25/10 10:42 AM (PST)

2009 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 R-Design 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is the main reason Subaru is in existence...to offer a cheaply made alternative to people that can't quite afford a premium European brand. This car has it all! It's equipped with a Haldex AWD system years ahead of the Subaru technology. Lower noise than the subaru. "Safe and Sound" warranty 5 years of cost free ownership is unmatched in the industry! I will only need to pay for tires and gas for 5 years! It is above average in every respect.

very family friendly
By Kid friendly on 08/03/09 12:39 PM (PDT)

2009 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I sold my Jeep for a reason of too much as thirsty and bought this V50. Awesome quality! Although it does not have the power and torque feel like the Jeep, it suits the purpose of "utility". I would not complain about the road noise like other reviewers, because it's MUCH less compared to the Jeep. The seats fold flat, even the passenger seat folds down. I carry my 2 kids, plus their bicycles, balls, toys in the back cargo space, and still have space to spare. The car drives smoothly; the audio system is good. It's just perfect for a small family. My only problem is the gas mileage. I have not reached the 31 mpg as the manufacture stated. I averaged about 25-26 mpg in mixed driving.

pricey but nice
By crs on 06/08/09 09:50 AM (PDT)

2009 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 R-Design 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

V50 R, is my 4th Volvo (still have XC90 and C30, recently traded xc70) First impression is the V5o isn't up t the high standard of the others. I really got the feeling that I was in a rebadged Focus. Funny thing is though this car can grow you on. The comforts are subtle. Performance is great, handling is top notch( unless you hit bumps then you feel the sport suspension) For city driving with the kids it is perfect, neither too small( C30, nor too big XC90) Volvo has switched to this clunky menu/ enter / select / exit audio and phone control system which stinks. Huge distraction which ought not be tried while driving. Odd development for a car that promotes safety. The previous was better

It's a looker...for a wagon!
By Joel in Germany on 05/21/09 05:33 AM (PDT)

2009 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I drive it on the Autobahn in Europe, my normal speed...100 - 115 mph. It has plenty of power, comfortable seating, plenty of cargo room...it is what it is...a sportswagon. I purchased a few extras for it that you can't get in the states to include the color. Great experience with Volvo! Nice car! It replaced my 2002 Mini Cooper. I hope to have this Volvo for years to come!

Great small wagon
By Nick on 04/25/09 09:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 R-Design 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Greatly enjoy the car. Feels safe and is quick and fun to drive. Not quite as quick as my wifes' BMW and has slight turbo lag but much less than previous turbos I have owned. Used to go skiing many times this winter without any problems. Very practical and reasonable mileage. The car is attractive and distinct. Interior is very comfortable but back seat is cramped for adults.

Great Car
By fred on 03/31/09 12:53 PM (PDT)

2009 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Traded a Subaru for new Volvo, big difference in quality of materials, features and comfort. Feels solid and handles well all at a very competitive price.

I like it
By eugene on 01/04/09 17:33 PM (PST)

2009 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 R-Design 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The car drives wonderfully. It's my first new car, and I am quite happy with my decision. So far, no problems; but then again, I've only got 2000 miles on the car. Back seat is a little tight, if you've got tall folks in the front seat. Having cargo room is great, and the size of the vehicle is perfect for New York City. Sometimes I look out the window at my car parked outside, and watch pedestrians admiring the car as they walk past. The car is definitely a head-turner. The BMWs and Audis are way too common here.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volvo V50 Wagon in VA is:

$109 per month*