Used 2008 Volvo V50 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volvo V50 - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volvo V50 Wagon

View reviews for a specific V50 model:

Great Alternative to others...
By londonwolfe

2008 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

When I was shopping a year ago for a nice small wagon commuter car, I looked at many options, VW Jetta TDI, Subaru, Audi A3 and A4. The reviews on this little car swayed my decision to test drive. Owned it a year now and 20k miles later, no disappointments. All cars have quirks, this car has been pleasant. I have had many cars in the past 5 BMWs, 12 VWs and 7 Porsches. I am a car enthusiast, this car has enough character to make it stand out.

Favorite Features

Styling and comfort. Sound system sound great. At 6'3" I have plenty room. Solid car, handles great and has enough power to keep pace in traffic and climb hills. Not a sports car, doesn't try to be.

Suggested Improvements

Same as what others have commented. Bluetooth and Ipod interface would have been great, next year option I think. Don't go cheap on tires, others complain of rough road and road noise, went with Continental Extreme Contact DWS and result was great. Mileage is not stellar at stated 28 HW for a smaller wagon, however it does not feel nor ride like an economy tin box.

Love my car... but.
By SueZQ

2008 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I've had my V50 over 2 years now. No repairs, no problems, some minor issues (buzz in a speaker, vibration here & there) but for the most part, amazing reliability. Tires totally worn at 45,000 miles. Great fuel economy (over 32 mpg on long drives below 70 mph with a/c off). Cargo space limited for a wagon, but fits a lot of stuff. My problem is the seats. No lumbar support, and headrest tilts forward forcing me to push my head forward. Long drives leave me with hip and lower back pain, and now neck pain and headaches. I am having to give up my wonderful car because no amount of padding or support has fixed this. So be very sure the seat supports you fully before you buy.

Favorite Features

Styling, handling, peppy even at highway speeds, safety, reliability, ergonomics of controls & storage.

Suggested Improvements

Desperately needs true lumbar support and adjustable headrest angle. Ride is a bit rough/loud.

I love wagons
By volleygasm

2008 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I am a wagon lover and living in the US severely limits your choices. I purchased this V50 as a certified preowned from a local dealer. The dealership is not my favorite but the price was pretty good and the certified warranty added extra safety. The ride in dry conditions is good, the cabin is very quite, the sound system is very good although my car lacks the bluetooth and ipod controls which would have been a nice add-on. I guess that's the price you pay for buying used. The one thing I do not like about this car is the winter handling. I did not purchase the AWD and coming from Subaru this is a HUGE disappointment.

Favorite Features

Seats are comfortable even on long rides. Cabin is very quite even on the highway. Stereo is clear and loud even with the windows down and sunroof open. The safety of Volvo was also a good selling feature.

Suggested Improvements

Better tires would help in the winter. I will certainly be going to a better tire when the snow starts to fly this year. A little more room in the rear seat would be nice. I am 6'1'' and my 13 year old is pretty cramped behind my seat. I am getting some buzzing (NVH) in my drivers door.

Fun little family car
By Mark

2008 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car drives and feels like a fun little sports car. It has plenty of pep with some room to spare. We have taken it on many road trips loaded down, with a child, dog, and full size stroller. The quality of the workmanship inside and out is spectacular. We have had no mechanical issues whatsoever. A great little family car that gets pretty good gas mileage!

Favorite Features

The safety rating is awesome and the quality of the car is undeniable.

Reasonable Mid-life Crisis
By Mark

2008 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Fun to drive. Nice test drive around Horsetooth Res. Have driven to numerous Frontrange ski areas in bad weather, car was great. Stability control saved car at I-70 and Dumont. I have Gecko green with Sparticus wheels. Exterior is sharp. Interior comfortable

Favorite Features

Turbo, audio system. I-pod Aux input, leather

Suggested Improvements

Climate control system, specifically seat heat and control modules. I have had car in for service for these issues