2006 Volvo V50 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V50 model:
HORRIBLE CAR
By chrishel on 07/01/13 18:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

bought in 2006 for its safety and reliability. beautiful interior but looks can be deceiving. has just over 100k miles. always regularly maintained. Anything and everything has gone wrong.. A/c doesnt work. CD player broke 3 years ago. oxygen censors broke. transmission needed to be replaced($5000 cause volvo doesnt sell parts for transmission) now its the alternator. of course this all happens after warrenty has expired. its been a total nightmare and I will never purchase another volvo

Dont judge a book by it cover
By Dave B on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

The car looks great and is fun to drive, but I was spoiled by our Volkswagen Jetta in the reliability department. The Volvo V 50 has required work since we bought it- wiring harness issues, sun roof leak that we learned will cannot be fully rectified, gas cap issues-would not pass inspection, battery issues, anti- theft-immobilizer issues. The inconvenience is one thing, but now that it is out of warranty, I worry it is going to cost us a great deal to keep it on the road. This will be the first and last Volvo for us.

Beautiful Car...Improve Reliability
By Beautiful Car on 08/20/08 09:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I have had the car about 1 year. It is a beautiful car in Passion Red and well equipped. It is fun to drive with plenty of power, excellent handling, comfortable ride and is quiet. The biggest issue is an intermittent electrical problem. It has been in for repair over 4 times for more than 20 days with issues with the airbag sensor, door locks, windows, A/C, etc. We have another Volvo (2006 S40 T5) that has been problem free. We've also owned a Volvo XC90 (2004) that was very reliable. We will continue to own Volvos as we like the cars but this particular car (V50)has been a little disappointing. I will say, however, that the dealer has been very diligent in trying to find the problem.

Don't Buy this Car
By L. Taylor on 10/11/07 16:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I sold a car with 165,000 miles on it because I was tired of taking it into the shop each month. Since buying my V50, I have had to take it into the shop almost every month. It has had repeated electrical problems that don't end. The same problems keeps coming back.

Worth the price
By J.Smeriglio on 08/21/07 15:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

The 2006 V-50 is an excellent every day driver. I put 150-200 miles per day on this vehicle and have not had any major complaints other than the complete battery failure at 51,000 miles (a $200 replacement at volvo). I have noticed 26-28 mpg consistently at 70 mph cruising speed. Excellent steering response, excellent brakes, and very comfortable driver seating. I would absolutely purchase this car again.

Great but flawed reliability
By Volblow on 04/19/07 19:56 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

When this car works or isn't being repaired, it is delightful. I love the Scandinavian style, but hate the quality.

Great looks, even better ride!
By calguy on 11/30/06 18:38 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I love how solid this car feels on the road. There is very little play in the steering wheel. We've had it for almost 17,000 miles and have had no mechanical problems with it. This is by far the best looking small wagon on the market. Volvo sales experience and service are great. Would recommend this car to anyone!

Great Fun to Drive and looks good too!
By Brian d on 10/11/06 12:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I have owned my V50 since May 06. Have already done a few good road trips with it and am not disappointed. 15,000 km so far. Had mine special ordered due to wanting the base model (no sunroof, no traction control etc). Was worth the wait. 5spd shifts like butta and although a high speed pass on a 2 lane hwy may need a downshift, it's a small price to pay. The ONLY beefs I have are a small wind leak in the driver's door, a squeaky clutch pedal, poor driver's side blind spot and useless door pockets (can't even fit a map in there). Great car for the money (better than others in that price range), awesome resale value and a really nice ride. Go try one... you'll like it.

Fun to Drive
By Seattle-ite on 08/30/06 11:40 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Bought my V-50 three months ago, and I have really enjoyed this car. I replaced a PT Cruiser that was not working out. The V-50 has more cargo room, handles much better, gets better mileage, is much peppier on the road and is just put together so much better that I can't believe I waited this long to make the change. This is the best car I have owned in 30 years of buying cars. It is big enough to haul cargo, and small enough to park easily. It has that great Volvo turning radius (why doesn't every car maker copy this?) and just feels solid on the road. Visibility is excellent, which was a HUGE problem on the PT. All in all, I'm a happy new Volvo owner!

Good Value
By LA Commuter on 07/22/06 17:31 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Traded in my Jag XJ8 VDP for a silver station wagon and so far has little regrets. Better gas mileage (23 MPG average) compensates for luxury features, and the V50 is a very fine looking car from almost all angles. What surprised me is how well the car handles. The downside is ride quality (can feel lots of LA street bumps), and how A/C can draw down gas mileage significantly. The space behind center controls looks neat, but not very functional. Overall, a happy owner. The silver color also means fewer car washes because it doesn't look dirty, as long as you Windex the windows.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.