2006 Volvo V50 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V50 model:
I wish I could love this car
By Mon on 01/27/10 18:14 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a love/hate relationship with this car. It's the fourth Volvo I've owned and I can tell quality has gone seriously downhill. Yes, the car is fun to drive WHEN it's not at the shop getting repaired. I've had the car for 2.5 years and it is in the shop with various problems about once every 6 weeks, most of the time with recurring problems that miraculously don't show up when it's at the dealership. The car is comfortable, quite roomy and sporty. I love that it's faster than it looks. I just really wish that the car was more reliable. This will be the last Volvo for me. I'm getting rid of it as soon as the warranty's up as I don't think I'll be able to afford the constant repairs!

Electrical System not Reliable
By CEB on 04/27/08 10:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Imagine driving the highway at speed and experiencing a complete electrical system failure. After two years and multiple dealer "remedies" including replacement of major electrical components, these problems continue and overshadow an otherwise decent vehicle. Often the car simply will not start, but when you get it to the dealer they cannot duplicate your issue and appear to be unable to troubleshoot. For the money, the Audi A4, Volkswagen Passat or the C-class MB wagon (no longer sold) are better options.

My thoughts on Volvo's V50
By Mike R. on 07/30/06 13:20 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We really like this car. It's small enough to get around town, yet large enough to haul most anything we want. The folks at Volvo know what comfort is and this car is no exception. It has style, and the interior is quite comfortable. Plenty of leg room and head room.

Tuuuuurrrrbbbooooo
By A H on 04/08/06 01:18 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

The T5 is a must. I test drove the 2.4 and the T5, the T5 blows the other away. The car has excellent pick up that will dust even the most agressive cab drivers. Sleek inside and outside styling. The car feels sturdy and sporty. It ain't your father's Volvo. Fremont Volvo in Fremont, CA made us a fabulous lease deal.

a good performance wagon
By Peter on 03/29/06 07:39 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have to replace a Volvo 240DL wagon and BMW328i. V50 has a nice combination of the virtues of both. It is big enough as a family wagon and is sporty enough to be fun to drive (the 240DL drives like a truck). It has all the electronic and computer gadgets of my 1999 328i, although its acceleration and handling are not as good. I have always driven a manual transmission so I was a bit skeptical about the Geartronics. It turns out to be quite acceptable. I can use it to slow down the car. When going up to Lake Tahoe I can down-shift to gain more power. The mileage after 6K miles is a decent 25 mpg, better than the BMW. I will be quite happy if it turns out to be more reliable than the BMW.

Best Sport Wagon
By Chris Brown on 01/02/06 12:09 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Options: premium package with leather and roof. I'm certainly not a wagon fan, and I hate SUV's even more, the big ones are the worst. This car is just plain sexy. It looks great, it drives great, and it's so practical. Ride and handling is better than my C240 trade-in, and in acceleration there's no comparison. I like an upscale car, Volvo is one of the top-tier brands, and I was drawn to it for something with more utility than my sedan. I also have a 3-series convertible and it's fantastic, but the 3-series wagon is pretty plain-jane, and so is the Mercedes wagons. Besides, the Volvo is at least 6 or 8 grand less with comparable equipment. Highly recommended.

so glad i got rid of my toyota !
By jj on 12/13/05 09:13 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

got rid of a 4runner 2005 the best day of my life. toyotas have great reputation on the engine reliability but someone forgot style and comfort. the v50 is amazing i want to drive. i want to take a hard turn and the geartronic is so much fun to drive. the back seat might be a little small for big passengers, but oh well that is the only bad thing and not really a problem.

Great Little Wagon
By jjholmgr on 10/15/05 15:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Worth a look if you need a flexible vehicle for a small family. Power is solid even with auto although doesn't "feel" as quick as I expected. Seats are super comfortable. New cloth/suede material is very nice and seems to be more durable than old Volvo cloth/vinyl interiors. Gas tank is a little small compared to other Volvos but we average 27 mpg in mixed driving, best was 30. We already have snow on the ground and the DTSC keeps it sure footed even without AWD--I'm not convinced it is worth the extra plus you loss mpg.

Fred's Volvo V50
By Fred Torres on 09/28/05 20:54 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car from Power Volvo Irvine. Picked up the car in Gothenborg, Sweden. Drove it for 4,800 miles in Northern Europe (Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, France) for five weeks. It's Autobahn certified. Lots of fun. This car is as good as claimed. Lots of get-up-and-go, extremely brisk. The car is now garaged here at our home in California and it has become a precious and memorable souvenir.

Sports car with space
By Mike on 08/12/05 19:53 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car. It's the smallest of the three Volvos I've owned (previous cars: 245DL wagon and an 850 sedan), but by far the most fun. I wanted a car with sports car-like handling and acceleration, but I also wanted space in the back to accommodate, for instance, a couple of bales of peat moss. I got it all. The car flies--merging onto the highway is really fun now--and its power is evident at low RPMs, too. I have the brushed aluminum interior and it's very cool. Cons: There's not a great deal of storage space up front, and the back seats are a little tight for normal-sized adults, but we have an SUV for long trips. A great driver's car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.