Used 2006 Volvo V50 T5 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V50 model:

I wish I could love this car
By Mon

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a love/hate relationship with this car. It's the fourth Volvo I've owned and I can tell quality has gone seriously downhill. Yes, the car is fun to drive WHEN it's not at the shop getting repaired. I've had the car for 2.5 years and it is in the shop with various problems about once every 6 weeks, most of the time with recurring problems that miraculously don't show up when it's at the dealership. The car is comfortable, quite roomy and sporty. I love that it's faster than it looks. I just really wish that the car was more reliable. This will be the last Volvo for me. I'm getting rid of it as soon as the warranty's up as I don't think I'll be able to afford the constant repairs!

The look of the car and the peppiness of the engine. Comfortable seats and feeling of being firmly planted on the road while driving, even on the highway.

Reliability.

Electrical System not Reliable
By CEB

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Imagine driving the highway at speed and experiencing a complete electrical system failure. After two years and multiple dealer "remedies" including replacement of major electrical components, these problems continue and overshadow an otherwise decent vehicle. Often the car simply will not start, but when you get it to the dealer they cannot duplicate your issue and appear to be unable to troubleshoot. For the money, the Audi A4, Volkswagen Passat or the C-class MB wagon (no longer sold) are better options.

Exterior styling, easy to fold rear seats, storage area behind front center console.

Fix the electrical problems.

My thoughts on Volvo's V50
By Mike R.

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We really like this car. It's small enough to get around town, yet large enough to haul most anything we want. The folks at Volvo know what comfort is and this car is no exception. It has style, and the interior is quite comfortable. Plenty of leg room and head room.

Navigation system and the overall quality of the car. The stereo is outstanding, and the car has enough power to move out if necessary.

Tuuuuurrrrbbbooooo
By A H

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

The T5 is a must. I test drove the 2.4 and the T5, the T5 blows the other away. The car has excellent pick up that will dust even the most agressive cab drivers. Sleek inside and outside styling. The car feels sturdy and sporty. It ain't your father's Volvo. Fremont Volvo in Fremont, CA made us a fabulous lease deal.

Turbo, interior console styling, premium package, handling and exterior styling.

The headrest pushes your head forward, a "safety feature" to prevent whiplash, but kinda annoying.

a good performance wagon
By Peter

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have to replace a Volvo 240DL wagon and BMW328i. V50 has a nice combination of the virtues of both. It is big enough as a family wagon and is sporty enough to be fun to drive (the 240DL drives like a truck). It has all the electronic and computer gadgets of my 1999 328i, although its acceleration and handling are not as good. I have always driven a manual transmission so I was a bit skeptical about the Geartronics. It turns out to be quite acceptable. I can use it to slow down the car. When going up to Lake Tahoe I can down-shift to gain more power. The mileage after 6K miles is a decent 25 mpg, better than the BMW. I will be quite happy if it turns out to be more reliable than the BMW.

rear split seats

better visibility in rear and better sound quality