Used 2006 Volvo V50 2.4i Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V50 model:

HORRIBLE CAR
By chrishel

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

bought in 2006 for its safety and reliability. beautiful interior but looks can be deceiving. has just over 100k miles. always regularly maintained. Anything and everything has gone wrong.. A/c doesnt work. CD player broke 3 years ago. oxygen censors broke. transmission needed to be replaced($5000 cause volvo doesnt sell parts for transmission) now its the alternator. of course this all happens after warrenty has expired. its been a total nightmare and I will never purchase another volvo

Dont judge a book by it cover
By Dave B

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

The car looks great and is fun to drive, but I was spoiled by our Volkswagen Jetta in the reliability department. The Volvo V 50 has required work since we bought it- wiring harness issues, sun roof leak that we learned will cannot be fully rectified, gas cap issues-would not pass inspection, battery issues, anti- theft-immobilizer issues. The inconvenience is one thing, but now that it is out of warranty, I worry it is going to cost us a great deal to keep it on the road. This will be the first and last Volvo for us.

Appearance and drive.

Perhaps less bells and whistles electronic wise; perhaps simpler is better in this case. Certainly Volvo needs to improve the reliability of the electrical and electronic systems.

Beautiful Car...Improve Reliability
By Beautiful Car

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I have had the car about 1 year. It is a beautiful car in Passion Red and well equipped. It is fun to drive with plenty of power, excellent handling, comfortable ride and is quiet. The biggest issue is an intermittent electrical problem. It has been in for repair over 4 times for more than 20 days with issues with the airbag sensor, door locks, windows, A/C, etc. We have another Volvo (2006 S40 T5) that has been problem free. We've also owned a Volvo XC90 (2004) that was very reliable. We will continue to own Volvos as we like the cars but this particular car (V50)has been a little disappointing. I will say, however, that the dealer has been very diligent in trying to find the problem.

Handling, comfortable ride, exterior and interior design, well equipped. Also really love the passion red color.

Don't Buy this Car
By L. Taylor

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I sold a car with 165,000 miles on it because I was tired of taking it into the shop each month. Since buying my V50, I have had to take it into the shop almost every month. It has had repeated electrical problems that don't end. The same problems keeps coming back.

The color.

Improve the quality of this car. It is not reliable. I'll never buy another Volvo again.

Worth the price
By J.Smeriglio

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

The 2006 V-50 is an excellent every day driver. I put 150-200 miles per day on this vehicle and have not had any major complaints other than the complete battery failure at 51,000 miles (a $200 replacement at volvo). I have noticed 26-28 mpg consistently at 70 mph cruising speed. Excellent steering response, excellent brakes, and very comfortable driver seating. I would absolutely purchase this car again.

Auto stick.

6 speed transmission would improve performance and yield better mileage.