2006 Volvo V50 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V50 model:
HORRIBLE CAR
By chrishel on 07/01/13 18:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

bought in 2006 for its safety and reliability. beautiful interior but looks can be deceiving. has just over 100k miles. always regularly maintained. Anything and everything has gone wrong.. A/c doesnt work. CD player broke 3 years ago. oxygen censors broke. transmission needed to be replaced($5000 cause volvo doesnt sell parts for transmission) now its the alternator. of course this all happens after warrenty has expired. its been a total nightmare and I will never purchase another volvo

2006 Volvo V-50
By walrus17 on 04/17/13 14:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Other than rountine maintenance for a car with 149K, it's been a reliable car. I did have a problem with an air/fuel sensor that was going bad and would not show up on the computer codes. Thought I had water in the fuel, but replaced the sensor for $397.00 and have had no further problems. My car is a turbo 5 cylinder with all wheel drive and it has no power issues. The car handles well in the snow and on wet roads. The vehicle is comfortalbe to drive and has heated leather seats. For a sport wagon with a sun roof, it's a great family car, that I would recommend.

Dont judge a book by it cover
By Dave B on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

The car looks great and is fun to drive, but I was spoiled by our Volkswagen Jetta in the reliability department. The Volvo V 50 has required work since we bought it- wiring harness issues, sun roof leak that we learned will cannot be fully rectified, gas cap issues-would not pass inspection, battery issues, anti- theft-immobilizer issues. The inconvenience is one thing, but now that it is out of warranty, I worry it is going to cost us a great deal to keep it on the road. This will be the first and last Volvo for us.

Repeated Electronic problem
By marc on 04/21/10 09:27 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been having repeated problem with the check engine, engine shutting down on the hwy and ignition key that cannot be removed from the ignition I bought a volvo for safety and reliability. I never had an accident therefore cannot comment on safety. On the reliability side it have been very expensive to maintain and very unreliable 1) Day 1 engine light 2) 2 month in ignition key stuck 4) 50K replace all tires alignment not properly done by Volvo dealer 5) 85kRigh rear bearing 6) 100k Engine light and engine shutting down while driving, many trip to the dealer problem disappeared on its own after 125K 7) 145K more problem with ignition key I'm now look at selling it

I wish I could love this car
By Mon on 01/27/10 18:14 PM (PST)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a love/hate relationship with this car. It's the fourth Volvo I've owned and I can tell quality has gone seriously downhill. Yes, the car is fun to drive WHEN it's not at the shop getting repaired. I've had the car for 2.5 years and it is in the shop with various problems about once every 6 weeks, most of the time with recurring problems that miraculously don't show up when it's at the dealership. The car is comfortable, quite roomy and sporty. I love that it's faster than it looks. I just really wish that the car was more reliable. This will be the last Volvo for me. I'm getting rid of it as soon as the warranty's up as I don't think I'll be able to afford the constant repairs!

4 Years of Monthly Warranty Repairs
By Renee on 10/06/09 06:39 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned this vehicle just under 4 yrs. Beginning around 10k miles started having issues. Door locks worked intermittently, small stones would get caught in the rotors,making an awful metal on metal sound, the battery died/car needed towed to dealer at 25k miles, door locks worked sometimes, other times got locked in and had to crawl across passenger seat to get out, a piece of the roof rack would fall off during car washes, and the gas gasket went. Many of things were unable to be fixed and needed multiple service appts. This was my first and probably last Volvo. I just traded this in for a new Honda, mostly due to the reliability. But I'll miss driving this. It was a blast to drive.

Beautiful Car...Improve Reliability
By Beautiful Car on 08/20/08 09:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I have had the car about 1 year. It is a beautiful car in Passion Red and well equipped. It is fun to drive with plenty of power, excellent handling, comfortable ride and is quiet. The biggest issue is an intermittent electrical problem. It has been in for repair over 4 times for more than 20 days with issues with the airbag sensor, door locks, windows, A/C, etc. We have another Volvo (2006 S40 T5) that has been problem free. We've also owned a Volvo XC90 (2004) that was very reliable. We will continue to own Volvos as we like the cars but this particular car (V50)has been a little disappointing. I will say, however, that the dealer has been very diligent in trying to find the problem.

Electrical System not Reliable
By CEB on 04/27/08 10:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Imagine driving the highway at speed and experiencing a complete electrical system failure. After two years and multiple dealer "remedies" including replacement of major electrical components, these problems continue and overshadow an otherwise decent vehicle. Often the car simply will not start, but when you get it to the dealer they cannot duplicate your issue and appear to be unable to troubleshoot. For the money, the Audi A4, Volkswagen Passat or the C-class MB wagon (no longer sold) are better options.

Don't Buy this Car
By L. Taylor on 10/11/07 16:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I sold a car with 165,000 miles on it because I was tired of taking it into the shop each month. Since buying my V50, I have had to take it into the shop almost every month. It has had repeated electrical problems that don't end. The same problems keeps coming back.

Worth the price
By J.Smeriglio on 08/21/07 15:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

The 2006 V-50 is an excellent every day driver. I put 150-200 miles per day on this vehicle and have not had any major complaints other than the complete battery failure at 51,000 miles (a $200 replacement at volvo). I have noticed 26-28 mpg consistently at 70 mph cruising speed. Excellent steering response, excellent brakes, and very comfortable driver seating. I would absolutely purchase this car again.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.