Used 2006 Volvo V50 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon

View reviews for a specific V50 model:

HORRIBLE CAR
By chrishel

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

bought in 2006 for its safety and reliability. beautiful interior but looks can be deceiving. has just over 100k miles. always regularly maintained. Anything and everything has gone wrong.. A/c doesnt work. CD player broke 3 years ago. oxygen censors broke. transmission needed to be replaced($5000 cause volvo doesnt sell parts for transmission) now its the alternator. of course this all happens after warrenty has expired. its been a total nightmare and I will never purchase another volvo

2006 Volvo V-50
By walrus17

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Other than rountine maintenance for a car with 149K, it's been a reliable car. I did have a problem with an air/fuel sensor that was going bad and would not show up on the computer codes. Thought I had water in the fuel, but replaced the sensor for $397.00 and have had no further problems. My car is a turbo 5 cylinder with all wheel drive and it has no power issues. The car handles well in the snow and on wet roads. The vehicle is comfortalbe to drive and has heated leather seats. For a sport wagon with a sun roof, it's a great family car, that I would recommend.

Favorite Features

Sun roof, Volvo mag wheels, all wheel drive, leather heated seats, great handeling.

Suggested Improvements

A little more leg room in the front for those of us who are 6'4".

Dont judge a book by it cover
By Dave B

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

The car looks great and is fun to drive, but I was spoiled by our Volkswagen Jetta in the reliability department. The Volvo V 50 has required work since we bought it- wiring harness issues, sun roof leak that we learned will cannot be fully rectified, gas cap issues-would not pass inspection, battery issues, anti- theft-immobilizer issues. The inconvenience is one thing, but now that it is out of warranty, I worry it is going to cost us a great deal to keep it on the road. This will be the first and last Volvo for us.

Favorite Features

Appearance and drive.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps less bells and whistles electronic wise; perhaps simpler is better in this case. Certainly Volvo needs to improve the reliability of the electrical and electronic systems.

Repeated Electronic problem
By marc

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been having repeated problem with the check engine, engine shutting down on the hwy and ignition key that cannot be removed from the ignition I bought a volvo for safety and reliability. I never had an accident therefore cannot comment on safety. On the reliability side it have been very expensive to maintain and very unreliable 1) Day 1 engine light 2) 2 month in ignition key stuck 4) 50K replace all tires alignment not properly done by Volvo dealer 5) 85kRigh rear bearing 6) 100k Engine light and engine shutting down while driving, many trip to the dealer problem disappeared on its own after 125K 7) 145K more problem with ignition key I'm now look at selling it

I wish I could love this car
By Mon

2006 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a love/hate relationship with this car. It's the fourth Volvo I've owned and I can tell quality has gone seriously downhill. Yes, the car is fun to drive WHEN it's not at the shop getting repaired. I've had the car for 2.5 years and it is in the shop with various problems about once every 6 weeks, most of the time with recurring problems that miraculously don't show up when it's at the dealership. The car is comfortable, quite roomy and sporty. I love that it's faster than it looks. I just really wish that the car was more reliable. This will be the last Volvo for me. I'm getting rid of it as soon as the warranty's up as I don't think I'll be able to afford the constant repairs!

Favorite Features

The look of the car and the peppiness of the engine. Comfortable seats and feeling of being firmly planted on the road while driving, even on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability.