2005 Volvo V50 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V50 model:
Great Car
By J Patent on 01/29/05 14:32 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We have put just over 1500 miles on the car and it is great! We got all the options except the DSC (in hindsight, I would have purchased this) and navigation system. Used to have an Audi A4 and this car is much better. The seats are more comfortable, the stereo is better and easier to use, and it performs just as well if not better.

We love it.
By dmhsg on 01/16/05 12:28 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Overall, a great wagon. This was my mid-life-crisis-leave-the-Sequoia-at- home-car: fun to drive but still goes up the ski hill, holds a kayak and dogs in the back. We bought the T5 AWD, with most upgrades except stereo and DVD. More headroom than 325ix, performance on par with Audi/BMW wagons for considerably less money. Rides a bit choppy in city, which is OK (and we're on 16 inch wheels), but tends to roll just slightly in spirited cornering unlike BMWs. Turbo thrust is even and strong. Performance on snow is fantastic. No problems. Go for the T5 AWD. In hindsight, I'd get the stereo and DVD NAV. By George, this wagon is a winner for Volvo.

beyond expectations
By JP on 01/11/05 01:04 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Volvo was not a contender in our original search for a station wagon. After much research we settled on the A4 wagon, then we went to the SF car show. A fantastic vehicle that trumps BMW and Audi on all the features that mattered to us; interior space, horsepower (torque lbs), and styling. Our only hesitation was that it was the first year model, but the $10k we saved convinced us to take the plunge.

Volvo V50
By T Forbes on 01/01/05 18:07 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I bought this car while overseas. I saved money but the process was complicated. Generally, however, this is a very solid, well designed car with many useful, standard features. The performance with the standard engine is better than adequate. I have already driven it in the snow and it is great. I did have a problem with the vapor recovery system that took 3 days to fix, but the dealer was responsive and gave me a loaner (S40 with turbo - faster but displayed turbo lag). Hopefully, the problems are behind me, as I am looking forward to many useful miles. This is my first Volvo (Honda and VW's in the past) and so far it has been positive.

volvo dependibility for the small wagon
By rob rix on 12/22/04 19:06 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Sharp looking. good value. easy handling.

V50 T5 AWD has been great so far
By BJTerp on 12/19/04 00:38 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I traded in my Jeep Liberty for a new V50 T5 AWD because I wanted something fun to drive. The Volvo has not disappointed. The performance and handling are great for a car in this class, and the car feels very solid. Compared to the BMW 330xi and Audi A4 2.8 Avant, the V50 gives you a lot of bang for the buck, and better styling. The interior is beautiful, and very comfortable. The upgraded stereo sounds fantastic, and the 17" wheels give the car an aggressive look.

V50 Review
By pd23 on 12/15/04 08:49 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought the 2005 Volvo V50 T5 for its modern, sleek center panel, awesome upgraded stereo, and excellent low-end torque (i.e. great peppiness when driving). The AWD, Volvo safety, and beautiful outward appearance of the car are great. I chose this car over the the 2005 Subaru Outback (suboptimal stereo), Mazda 6 (only FWD), and Nissan Murano.

We Love It!
By Natty Sargent on 12/07/04 19:28 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Looked at BMW 3-Series, Audi A4 and nobody could touch the Volvo value. The Audi dealership admitted that without Ford's support, they just couldn't compete on price. The performance speaks for itself if you trust the reviews and specs. We bought the 2005 V50 T5 in lieu of the straight 2.4 only because of review comments. We drove both and really couldn't tell the difference when driving like a sane person. The additional options that we purchased were worth it. We got everything but the navigation pkg. and back up sensors.

The 2005 Volvo V50 is a Fin Car
By dan anderson on 12/07/04 08:38 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a family of four plus two dogs. We are stationed in Germany and tour Europe frequently. So far, this car has been perfect. We can load the entire family into it and travel anywhere in comfort and with good gas milage. Gas costs around 1.50 Euro per liter and with 3.8 liters to the gallon you need good gas mileage. On the autobahn this car gets to 120 MPH with out a problem can go much faster!!!!! It makes my BMW 525i look stupid on the twists and the autobahn. It is a good car i would by and I would definitely buy another.

Review of Volvo V50 T5 AWD automatic
By firsttimevolvoowner on 12/02/04 05:02 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Overall, I am pleased with this car and would recommend it to others. However, there are both pros and cons. Let me list them and you can decide for yourself. 1) The sports-tuned suspension on the T5 AWD is a bit harsh/jarring over bumps. I test drove the FWD version and did not notice this. 2) mild vibration from passenger side seat over bumps. Not noticed when someone is sitting in the seat. 3) narrow/deep glove box and small door pockets.