Used 2005 Volvo V50 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V50 model:

Electronic Problems, costly maintenance
By sue

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I like driving the V50. The problem with it is the electronices. Had to have the air worked on twice under warranty thank God. The home link, the air conditioning, radio and the cruise control have all needed computer updates. I'm afraid of what will happen when it goes off warranty. Less than 5,000 miles left. I was also told that Volvo doesn't offer extended warranties. I would have to buy one of the after market warranties. The cost of regular maintenance is high. The maintenance today costs me over $500. That was an oil change, cabin filter change, coolant flush and front brake pads.

Fun to drive, lots of get up and go.

They need to get it together on the electronics.

Great Combo!
By skier

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I loved the looks. The combo of turbo performance & mpg are great. The awd is good for handling & good traction in snow. I like the utility of a wagon. I get up to 31 mpg on the highway & 24 mpg around town. The passing power & smooth torque is what is so fun! My T5 has been very reliable.

Exterior and interior styling, turbo power, economy, utility.

Could have more storage in the front, but I could see that when I bought it.

Expensive Repairs
By Dominicvail

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We thought we loved the car but it has been one repair after another. The kicker was that at 2 years old and with 25,000 the clutch burned out. This repair was not covered by Volvo for warrantee. My wife and I have always driven manual cars and this is the first clutch issue ever. It was $2,500 to fix. We will get rid of the car due to the dissatisfaction we have had with this experience. We have owned three other Volvos (V-70R AWD and XC-70 AWD) but this one has soured us. Say good bye to this one.

Style.

Fix the clutch.

My experience with the v50 2.4i
By dave

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I owned a 240 for 16 years. Liked it, but, not driving in snow. The v50 has the features I'm interested in: safety, comfortable seats, easy to drive in traffic, easy to park. The front wheel drive with snow tires have been excellent. I don't feel that AWD is necessary. I have been concerned about reliability, but, so far the only problem has been squeaky brakes when backing up. Problem has been intermittent and dealer has been very supportive. Problem not totally gone, but, only happens on rare occassions now. The car has been reliable and it is fun to drive. I like the car and I intend to keep it.

Comfort, premium sound, versatility, performance in snow, good visibility.

Everyone is right about the rear leg room, another inch or two would be nice. What I saw during the test drive is what I got. I think that if you don't like the test drive, then its a mismatch between your needs and what this car is intended to do.

Needs Work
By CDF58

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

My 2005 V50 lacks power, the S40 has more "pick-up" than this car. It has trouble with even a gradual incline and there's a delay when stepping on the gas to speed up. From the time I took delivery of the car, it had an acceleration issue after slowing down to go over speed bump or turning corners - very annoying. It would seem like it was going to stall when I reapplied pressure to the gas pedal. Service people didn't know how to fix it for the first 2+ years I owned it. The horn went out, my keys have fallen apart, and I hear a loud click/clunk when I back up while parallel parking. Visibility is poor - rear view and front-sides of windshield. Driver seatbelt seizes up regularly. Whew!

I love the turning radius and the rear storage space (and the pull out storage cover).

Make it more responsive and improve the visibility. provide better training for Volvo service reps and mechanics so they can more effectively diagnose and fix issues with all Volvos.