2005 Volvo V50 Consumer Reviews 3

2005 Volvo V50 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V50 model:
Wow!
By George on 11/21/06 09:12 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I don't think I could say too many good things about this car. My wife and I got the V50 to replace our old Jetta, which was turned into a dump truck during our home rehab. We have a very active lifestyle and wanted room for sailing, kayaking & backpacking as well as our future child & dog. The back accomidates all our stuff while being small enought to park in the city. We also wanted something eco friendly with good fuel econemy etc. The V50 is perfect.

Lemon: very poor
By Volvo_trouble on 10/26/06 10:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Check Engine light: related to fuel pressure. Fuel tank does not accept gas more than a gallon at a time Cruise control: Does not work properly. Car speeds up and slows down suddenly with jerks. Fault in module. Overall very disappointed

Consumer Reports Unfair to this Vehicle
By Lenny on 10/21/06 13:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Sporty, comfortable ride; Steering luxurious w/short radius; good gas mileage combined with highly responsive engine; excellent dealer service in both New Orleans and Houston (love the loaner cars); seemingly inexhaustible cargo capacity for a compact wagon (three adults, three small dogs, lots of luggage and mother-in-law's personal possessions while evacuating from Katrina to Houston, then evacuating from Rita to Lake Charles and then to fort Smith - tight, but workable); generally far more reliable than CR predicted. Negatives: slightly cramped side-to-side knee room for male driver; imperfect rear vision; bind in driver seatbelt; windshield fluid tank failed (fixed after wait for part).

The Worst Car of My Life
By bob on 10/14/06 17:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This car has 44,000 miles.since Feb'06, it has been on a flatbed 3x because it wouldn't start.Two of those times, I was on vacation 500 and 350 miles from home.They "fixed" it once.This car is a nightmare. Two sets of tire by 45000 @ $200/tire. Cd player has been replaced.Fuel line has been replaced.Rear wiper has fallen off.Should I expect more for a car in the $30+K range.Volvo customer care is a joke.They do not care."On Call" operators never told me about trip interruption insurance (I've talked to about 6 of them). I received the info form a dealer.If this is any indication of Volvo quality-forget it. I cannot wait to rid myself of this car. This is the worst car purchase of my life.

Great Car..BUT
By Al on 08/06/06 17:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car to look at and drive, a stylish interior is always a pleasure to sit in.Got the car fully loaded with sport package and body kit. Practical with lots of cargo space. Gas mileage is around 25 mainly in city driving A cautionary note - I had a problem with road noise/ front suspension , Dealer could not fix it, went to Lemon Law,the car was inspected 4/11/06 by Volvo to confirm the noise was still present after their 4 repair attempts. Four months later I still have not had a refund or replacement and am applying to the State for Arbitration.

Fun to drive but SMALL!
By papalo on 07/15/06 14:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

OK, we knew that this was a small wagon going into our purchase, but, man, is it cramped! If you need more cargo space than a sedan but not as much as an SUV, this would be a fun (and functonal) vehicle to drive. But, with two toddlers (and all the stuff that goes with them), it is just smaller than we were thinking it would be. Plus, maintenance and repair on this vehicle is astronomical. ($200 to replace ONE tire!) We've had some reliability issues with the electrical system as well. We're already looking to trade it in for something else...

Fun, Perfect compact size, Great look
By M. Burgoyne on 06/19/06 04:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Great workmanship inside and out,sharp european lines, solid feel driving and when you close the doors, love the hi-tech fabric on the seats - easy to wipe off and stands up to my two teenagers and the dogs extremely well ! Perfect small size that is wonderful handling around town and parking but,on the interior, it can get big when you put the back seats down. Volvo has been very good with updating software changes- my automatic had a timing problem shifting between 1st and 2nd gear in some limited situations and when I took it in, they already had a software update - downloaded it and runs perfectly now. Never had any other problems.

Glad I bought IT
By DRinNH on 05/22/06 19:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Excellent performance and features easily used after careful review of manual. Great for family of four, while four adults will not be comfortable for long. The turbo gives this vehicle great pickup and transmission is smooth. My family all love it.

Greatest Car on the Market!
By Ann Warner on 05/15/06 11:48 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

This is the best wagon on the market! It has all the cargo space that my old SUV did, plus it has safety features found only in Volvo & BMW (whiplash protection seats). Also, the stereo is phenomenal and it drives like a dream and is easy to park.

Truly European spirit
By Sergey on 04/20/06 14:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I have 2.4i auto with sport package and premium audio. It is an amazing fun to drive it. More over, exterior looks very fresh and attracts much attention, especially with my rare color - safari. On the dynamic side it is OK. Somewhat excessive spin-off at start on wet roads and less than expected acceletation uphill somewhat diminish the fun. Switching from manual transmission I notice annoying transmission lag during sudden change from braking to acceleration. Interior is very well-thought. It is asthetic, versatile and the most unique i've seen so far. Some extra head room and better road visibility would help a lot. Otherwise enough space everywhere.