2005 Volvo V50 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V50 model:
Too many problems.
By Sally on 12/16/08 12:58 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Our V50 has been in the shop a lot. Problems with the radio, the auto rear view mirror, the alignment, the radio, the outside temp indicator, engine cutting out. Can't remember how many computer upgrades have been done. The electronics on this car are terrible. Just got it out of the shop again--engine light on and the engine would cut out. Cost me over $500 to repair--this time it was the fuel pressure sensor which surprise needed to have another computer upgrade. Expensive to repair.

Electronic Problems, costly maintenance
By sue on 02/04/08 10:48 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I like driving the V50. The problem with it is the electronices. Had to have the air worked on twice under warranty thank God. The home link, the air conditioning, radio and the cruise control have all needed computer updates. I'm afraid of what will happen when it goes off warranty. Less than 5,000 miles left. I was also told that Volvo doesn't offer extended warranties. I would have to buy one of the after market warranties. The cost of regular maintenance is high. The maintenance today costs me over $500. That was an oil change, cabin filter change, coolant flush and front brake pads.

2 1/2 years with my V50
By fluffy on 01/03/07 05:41 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my V50 as soon as they came out in 2004. I thought the novelty of this beauty would wear off, but now almost 3 years later, we are still in love with this car. It drives superbly, handles excellently, gas mileage is great, comfortable and elegant. We are a family of 4 (all slim though) and fit very well, the kid seats in the back are a huge plus with no ruining of leather. Have traveled all over Europe and the US in it so far and haven't had any problems whatsoever with mechanics. Never had anything broken in it, unlike the 2005 S40 T5 my husband owns, which has had a few problems too many for my comfort. I recommend this car to all, as it is a super deal for your money!

The Worst Car of My Life
By bob on 10/14/06 17:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This car has 44,000 miles.since Feb'06, it has been on a flatbed 3x because it wouldn't start.Two of those times, I was on vacation 500 and 350 miles from home.They "fixed" it once.This car is a nightmare. Two sets of tire by 45000 @ $200/tire. Cd player has been replaced.Fuel line has been replaced.Rear wiper has fallen off.Should I expect more for a car in the $30+K range.Volvo customer care is a joke.They do not care."On Call" operators never told me about trip interruption insurance (I've talked to about 6 of them). I received the info form a dealer.If this is any indication of Volvo quality-forget it. I cannot wait to rid myself of this car. This is the worst car purchase of my life.

Great Car..BUT
By Al on 08/06/06 17:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car to look at and drive, a stylish interior is always a pleasure to sit in.Got the car fully loaded with sport package and body kit. Practical with lots of cargo space. Gas mileage is around 25 mainly in city driving A cautionary note - I had a problem with road noise/ front suspension , Dealer could not fix it, went to Lemon Law,the car was inspected 4/11/06 by Volvo to confirm the noise was still present after their 4 repair attempts. Four months later I still have not had a refund or replacement and am applying to the State for Arbitration.

Fun to drive but SMALL!
By papalo on 07/15/06 14:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

OK, we knew that this was a small wagon going into our purchase, but, man, is it cramped! If you need more cargo space than a sedan but not as much as an SUV, this would be a fun (and functonal) vehicle to drive. But, with two toddlers (and all the stuff that goes with them), it is just smaller than we were thinking it would be. Plus, maintenance and repair on this vehicle is astronomical. ($200 to replace ONE tire!) We've had some reliability issues with the electrical system as well. We're already looking to trade it in for something else...

V50 WOW!
By Bklyn38 on 04/15/06 00:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I am amazed at the quick & comfortable performance. This is my 5th Volvo and by far the best. Runs on regular gas with 23.5 City and 32 h'way milage when driven hard. Exceptionally reliable. No problems. Catches stares and compliments even in Manhattan!

Volvo Sport Wagon
By s reich on 11/18/05 16:34 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car-- it is fun to drive and is very nimble in traffic. The sound system, control panel and most of all the ergonomics of the seating are precisely right for my needs and comfort. I am a small person, and this is the most comfortable car I have ever driven. Even my husband-- a designer-- has come to enjoy driving it, and I like the fact that although it feels very safe and solid, I don't feel like it is a "mom" wagon (nothing against moms-- I am one (!) but am beyond the car seat stage). I do not understand why this car is not being promoted more visibly by Volvo, as it is unusual and perhaps appealing to a different female market than the typical Volvo consumer.

Volvo made it again!
By henrik on 10/01/05 20:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

A great car from Volco again! Now they have added some new things to their basket; fun and design now joins reliability and safety. Some minor flaws in the exterior design...otherwise; buy it!

Fun Turbo Wagon
By grochef on 03/18/05 14:31 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Volvo did a great job of designing this car. The front end gives the V50 an aggressive look and the large rear tail lights set it off from the crowd. Standard features are generous and the list of Options provide the ability to create a dream. I purchased the car using the Overseas Program. I would recommend that anyone opting for that program does not purchase any accessories from Sweden. The prices are twice what they are in the US - even though they tell you it is a "Special Price". Other than that, the trip to London, Sweden and Norway was great fun.