2005 Volvo V50 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V50 model:
Loved this car, but it was a lemon
By jtroop on 11/29/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

got this car as a Certified Pre-Owned, so I had a bumper-to-bumper warranty, which I used extensively. First to go was the ignition, which went out again later. Next went the radio, which went out again later. Next went the entire electrical system....the entire electrical system!!!! Next was some strange issue with the lug-nuts???? Then the headliner detached from the roof. Then the right side door lock messed up and required a new locking mechanism. Then the alarm started to go off intermittently for no reason. Finally some sensors started to fail and I got rid of it. None of this cost anything to me, but I had to take it into the dealership over and over. Great car but poor quality.

Love Car - Hate Repairs
By Mquinn97 on 09/03/10 13:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Bought this car used, and love it, but the romance is wearing off given the number of problems I've had. Six weeks after my initial purchase I had to have the tailgate completely rebuilt to get to a bad part (not charged, thankfully). since then I've had some issues with the electrical in the radio and fan system. Now I've been told that there is a grease leak in the front axle boot. Worst problem so far? Had to have it towed to Volvo last week when I was stranded by the electrical steering wheel locking mechanism. That was a $700 repair!! At this point I'm seriously thinking of trying to sell it and lease something else.

By Beachyy on 08/02/10 20:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

We had trouble with the car starting. It would say invalid key and left us stranded twice. They replaced to started and it was fixed under warranty. We also had trouble with fuses blowing and sometimes the windows not going up or down. They replaced the whole electrical system for us under warranty.

Don't Purchase - Look at Competition
By PBW on 01/15/10 17:36 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Wife's car. Bought to replace V40. OK power. Expensive maintenance after warranty. Inside cramped for adults. Better cars out there unless you are looking for the Volvo brand and think it is still the safest - which it is not- good marketing campaign...

Electronics on this car is a nightmare!
By V 50 is a haeadache on 08/31/09 12:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

We are soccer parents so are on the road almost every weekend shuttling kids from event to another. We need a spacious and reliable car. The first 2 years were ok. The last 2 years have been a headache. The car is in the shop every month! The electronic system is always failing, with all kinds all scary warning signs: Engine Failure, Break Failure, Transmissions failure! This week was the worst. The immobilizer warning comes on and the key is stuck at position 1. Had to get it towed to the shop. Volvo has not been able to fix the problem after so many software upgrades. If you do not want to find yourself stranded 200 miles away from home, do not buy this car

A Shop Queen
By Former Volvo Lover on 12/29/08 11:34 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

The car goes into the shop multiple times a year for warranty repairs. Lately, it has been in the shop more than I've been able to drive it. Some of the many issues include a major fuel leak warning, a sunroof drain routed to the drivers feet(and resulting flood), broken keys (they actually broke apart), air conditioning which suddenly spews hot air and then suddenly goes back to cold air (only on one side), broken sunroof motor, squeaky brakes (even new), broken antenna in the steering wheel which disables your key and strands you with no way to turn your car on (subsequent tow (by Volvo) resulting in a punctured oil pan and finger pointing by the Volvo Customer Service and Service Reps).

Pretty good, but not great.
By misliss on 10/17/08 19:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I am on my second V50. The first I had for a month, and it was in the shop 3 weeks of that month. After much complaining, I got Volvo to give me a new one, with more features. I have leased my car for 3 years and am about to buy it. It works pretty well for my life as a busy mom of one. But, the sunroof leaks, the interior lights sometimes work, and I have gone through more tires than I would like to admit. The car gets great gas mileage, drives nicely, has enough zip to keep me going, and is great on turns.

My experience with the v50 2.4i
By dave on 04/06/07 19:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I owned a 240 for 16 years. Liked it, but, not driving in snow. The v50 has the features I'm interested in: safety, comfortable seats, easy to drive in traffic, easy to park. The front wheel drive with snow tires have been excellent. I don't feel that AWD is necessary. I have been concerned about reliability, but, so far the only problem has been squeaky brakes when backing up. Problem has been intermittent and dealer has been very supportive. Problem not totally gone, but, only happens on rare occassions now. The car has been reliable and it is fun to drive. I like the car and I intend to keep it.

Needs Work
By CDF58 on 03/12/07 21:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

My 2005 V50 lacks power, the S40 has more "pick-up" than this car. It has trouble with even a gradual incline and there's a delay when stepping on the gas to speed up. From the time I took delivery of the car, it had an acceleration issue after slowing down to go over speed bump or turning corners - very annoying. It would seem like it was going to stall when I reapplied pressure to the gas pedal. Service people didn't know how to fix it for the first 2+ years I owned it. The horn went out, my keys have fallen apart, and I hear a loud click/clunk when I back up while parallel parking. Visibility is poor - rear view and front-sides of windshield. Driver seatbelt seizes up regularly. Whew!

Lemon: very poor
By Volvo_trouble on 10/26/06 10:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Check Engine light: related to fuel pressure. Fuel tank does not accept gas more than a gallon at a time Cruise control: Does not work properly. Car speeds up and slows down suddenly with jerks. Fault in module. Overall very disappointed