Used 2005 Volvo V50 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V50 model:
Best companion for 9 and a half years
By kostasg on 04/17/15 12:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Mine is a 1.8lt, 125HP Momentum model, 9 and a half years old. It has already 220.100km. It is a seriously reliable car. Only few minor problems not worth mentioning at all! Always enjoyable, comfortable, premium-feel, and safe ride, even at high speeds (160-180 km/h). I feel very lucky to own this car. Would definitely buy new Volvo, although, I quite like it's plain aesthetic compared to the newer models. I intend to keep it in the best possible condition for as many years as possible, cause I like it, honestly!! Also, all people that happen to ride in the car, always comment highly positively about its GOOD feel, from the first day till now. Honestly, ALL.

Its good
By dennisoco on 11/28/14 00:34 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I always read reviews befour I buy a vehicle except I bought this drove it for 9 years then read the reviews to see what people are complaining about.You will never get used to the complicated heating defroster buttons and lights and so forth,Should have kept it simple.But it is a realy good car.But to be real hnest the only real problem after 185 thousand K.M. is the or was the release for the open the tailgate,The repair only worked til warrenty ran out so I paid a mechanic to put in an actual hardwire with pushbutton to open the hatch.Cant trust the electronic key fob to open it and what good is a station wagan if the tailgate don't open.New axles are 700$ or 115$ shop around.cross border

133,000 and 6 years and running very well
By jsrobinow on 08/29/14 09:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car used via E bay from a private seller. It has had only three odd failures that were easily fixed. One rear hub sheared off three bolts and was replaced. Cause was never determined. Fuel pump module and oil trap failed and were replaced. Other service has been routine. It handles well, accelerates well and gets 25 to 28 mpg day in and day out. With snow tires used in the winter with four wheel drive and six speed manual trans it is an amazing winter car. I go places that the SUV crowd can't go because they use "all-season" tires which in fact are really "no-season" tires. Great car overall, fun stylish and versatile.

Loved this car, but it was a lemon
By jtroop on 11/29/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

got this car as a Certified Pre-Owned, so I had a bumper-to-bumper warranty, which I used extensively. First to go was the ignition, which went out again later. Next went the radio, which went out again later. Next went the entire electrical system....the entire electrical system!!!! Next was some strange issue with the lug-nuts???? Then the headliner detached from the roof. Then the right side door lock messed up and required a new locking mechanism. Then the alarm started to go off intermittently for no reason. Finally some sensors started to fail and I got rid of it. None of this cost anything to me, but I had to take it into the dealership over and over. Great car but poor quality.

Love Car - Hate Repairs
By Mquinn97 on 09/03/10 13:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Bought this car used, and love it, but the romance is wearing off given the number of problems I've had. Six weeks after my initial purchase I had to have the tailgate completely rebuilt to get to a bad part (not charged, thankfully). since then I've had some issues with the electrical in the radio and fan system. Now I've been told that there is a grease leak in the front axle boot. Worst problem so far? Had to have it towed to Volvo last week when I was stranded by the electrical steering wheel locking mechanism. That was a $700 repair!! At this point I'm seriously thinking of trying to sell it and lease something else.

By Beachyy on 08/02/10 20:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

We had trouble with the car starting. It would say invalid key and left us stranded twice. They replaced to started and it was fixed under warranty. We also had trouble with fuses blowing and sometimes the windows not going up or down. They replaced the whole electrical system for us under warranty.

It has served me well.
By PD on 05/27/10 10:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have driven the car 58,000 miles now. Initially, I did have a cold start issue when new. But since that problem was fixed in the 1st year (software update), the car has worked perfectly for me. I own the turbo (T5 AWD) and it is a blast to drive. Handling is superb. Great acceleration and pick-up. I opted for the upgraded stereo which is truly spectacular - great crisp highs and deep lows. Edmunds also rated it very highly. Car/road/wind noise suppression is good. But higher end luxury cars will do better.

Mine's Fine!
By PCB on 03/04/10 06:37 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my car for 60,000 miles now. It has had one or two minor things go wrong with it (needed new brakes and rotors under warranty), but the dealer has taken care of them. It is a _gas_ to drive- lots of power, responds well. It is just so much fun. The wagon lets me take my dogs, go to the hardware store, etc. If you want a car with lots of room, then get a bigger one.. but this is fine for me. I am still in love with this car-- by far the best I've ever owned.

Don't Purchase - Look at Competition
By PBW on 01/15/10 17:36 PM (PST)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Wife's car. Bought to replace V40. OK power. Expensive maintenance after warranty. Inside cramped for adults. Better cars out there unless you are looking for the Volvo brand and think it is still the safest - which it is not- good marketing campaign...

Electronics on this car is a nightmare!
By V 50 is a haeadache on 08/31/09 12:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

We are soccer parents so are on the road almost every weekend shuttling kids from event to another. We need a spacious and reliable car. The first 2 years were ok. The last 2 years have been a headache. The car is in the shop every month! The electronic system is always failing, with all kinds all scary warning signs: Engine Failure, Break Failure, Transmissions failure! This week was the worst. The immobilizer warning comes on and the key is stuck at position 1. Had to get it towed to the shop. Volvo has not been able to fix the problem after so many software upgrades. If you do not want to find yourself stranded 200 miles away from home, do not buy this car