Used 2005 Volvo V50 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V50 model:

Best companion for 9 and a half years
By kostasg

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Mine is a 1.8lt, 125HP Momentum model, 9 and a half years old. It has already 220.100km. It is a seriously reliable car. Only few minor problems not worth mentioning at all! Always enjoyable, comfortable, premium-feel, and safe ride, even at high speeds (160-180 km/h). I feel very lucky to own this car. Would definitely buy new Volvo, although, I quite like it's plain aesthetic compared to the newer models. I intend to keep it in the best possible condition for as many years as possible, cause I like it, honestly!! Also, all people that happen to ride in the car, always comment highly positively about its GOOD feel, from the first day till now. Honestly, ALL.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, Reliable, Safe, Stylish (still after ~10yrs), Quick, Practical, Easy to maintain, Enjoyable,

Suggested Improvements

Well, I would suggest, basically, to the company to re-issue the model, so I can perhaps change my old V50 to a new, hopefully as good as this one. It's a shame Volvo stopped producing it. My sister just bought the new V40 1.6, D2, Livstyl. I drove it, it's very good, yet I do prefer my V50 better, to be honest, for many reasons. Minor issue: the upholstery in one of the doors has gone a bit loose, but ok, I can live with it, especially since the car has saved my family's lives a couple of times (good brakes!)

Its good
By dennisoco

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I always read reviews befour I buy a vehicle except I bought this drove it for 9 years then read the reviews to see what people are complaining about.You will never get used to the complicated heating defroster buttons and lights and so forth,Should have kept it simple.But it is a realy good car.But to be real hnest the only real problem after 185 thousand K.M. is the or was the release for the open the tailgate,The repair only worked til warrenty ran out so I paid a mechanic to put in an actual hardwire with pushbutton to open the hatch.Cant trust the electronic key fob to open it and what good is a station wagan if the tailgate don't open.New axles are 700$ or 115$ shop around.cross border

Favorite Features

Handy as a stationwagen;very reliable;always good gas mileage never less than 35 MPG;thats converted from liyres to Imperial gallans.And if I actually did the speed limit and didn't drive crazy because I do drive it hard;(don't tell my wife)it will get over 40MPG;I think a lot of complaints are not justified like it is not as much room as a caddilac and a little tight.no kidding ,Its not a huge car that's because it is what it is.Dont be afraid to buy parts nacross the border if you live in Canada like I do.same parts same quality a small fraction of the price.I have never had an electrical problem nok on wood.If you want a good safe vehicle ignore most of the bad comments on this site,Its n

Suggested Improvements

Have a dammed way to open the tailgate like manually or something because its a real problem when it doesn't respond to signal from key fob.Replace timing belt at 185 thousand K.M.should be done at 170K K.M. but no sign of any wear at all.Got 3 speeding tickets with it.thats the fault of the car because you don't realy notice how fast you are going;kidding.Consider all the extra weight that went into the car in the form of crash cage and roll protection if you want protection for your kids and you it realy is worth it.Biggest problem though for 6 years was one of the headlights had a dark spot at night so you could not see complete road;lots of complaining finally fixed;actual warrenty

133,000 and 6 years and running very well
By jsrobinow

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car used via E bay from a private seller. It has had only three odd failures that were easily fixed. One rear hub sheared off three bolts and was replaced. Cause was never determined. Fuel pump module and oil trap failed and were replaced. Other service has been routine. It handles well, accelerates well and gets 25 to 28 mpg day in and day out. With snow tires used in the winter with four wheel drive and six speed manual trans it is an amazing winter car. I go places that the SUV crowd can't go because they use "all-season" tires which in fact are really "no-season" tires. Great car overall, fun stylish and versatile.

Favorite Features

High performance car with station wagon utility in a beautiful stylish Swedish design. Good overall quality of construction.

Suggested Improvements

Unique stereo design limits ability to retroactively add auxiliary input port available on newer versions of this car.

Loved this car, but it was a lemon
By jtroop

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

got this car as a Certified Pre-Owned, so I had a bumper-to-bumper warranty, which I used extensively. First to go was the ignition, which went out again later. Next went the radio, which went out again later. Next went the entire electrical system....the entire electrical system!!!! Next was some strange issue with the lug-nuts???? Then the headliner detached from the roof. Then the right side door lock messed up and required a new locking mechanism. Then the alarm started to go off intermittently for no reason. Finally some sensors started to fail and I got rid of it. None of this cost anything to me, but I had to take it into the dealership over and over. Great car but poor quality.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, great styling!

Suggested Improvements

electrical issues!!!!!

Love Car - Hate Repairs
By Mquinn97

2005 Volvo V50 Wagon 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Bought this car used, and love it, but the romance is wearing off given the number of problems I've had. Six weeks after my initial purchase I had to have the tailgate completely rebuilt to get to a bad part (not charged, thankfully). since then I've had some issues with the electrical in the radio and fan system. Now I've been told that there is a grease leak in the front axle boot. Worst problem so far? Had to have it towed to Volvo last week when I was stranded by the electrical steering wheel locking mechanism. That was a $700 repair!! At this point I'm seriously thinking of trying to sell it and lease something else.

Favorite Features

Love the styling - it's a hot car! It's very fun to drive and I really like the set up of the radio controls. Love the automatically dimming rearview mirror. Trunk space is big enough for two greyhounds!!

Suggested Improvements

Electronics, electronics, electronics!! When will Volvo figure out how to produce vehicles with better electronics? Also disappointed that there is no way to get an aftermarket MP3 player hookup.